Close Combat August Update - The Line of Sight tool

3D version of Close Combat
Benedict151

Close Combat August Update - The Line of Sight tool

Post by Benedict151 »

Hello everyone
I believe that some of you have asked for information about how line of sight might work in the new 3D version of Close Combat

Below is a GIF showing one of the tools currently in development for the game. The image shows the tool being used for the Sherman
Note how it switches from off to on, when on the Sherman is highlighted green and the 'light' areas on the map show what it can see and the dark areas what it can't

Please note this is still very much in development so it might well look rather different when we get to beta and then release.

'The Bloody First' also has a version of the 'traditional' CC cursor with the line of sight/line of fire line being drawn behind it.
However we are hoping that both the cursor and the line from it will give you a little more info than it has in the past

regards
Ben Wilkins

Attachments
LOSSherman.gif
LOSSherman.gif (3.3 MiB) Viewed 289 times
zakblood

RE: Close Combat August Update - The Line of Sight tool

Post by zakblood »

sure does look good, can't wait to either test it or play it or both [:D]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
SchnelleMeyer

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

Looks like a nice tool to quickly get an overview of LOS. I think it would be extra nice and very usefull when setting up a defence if several units can be selected at once and you can immediately see what they can cover with fire and where their firing sectors overlap. - IE have LOS to.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Amazing!
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

A very good feature that is much needed.
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Very nice.
Hard-core Spectre
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Good tool, maybe is possible and option to see green dots or similar in the area is visible??? for example where is the axis vehicle looks like is a small road with vision range... i dont know how Sherman can see it [&:]

Other strange thing is how buildings show sides that vehicle cant see as visible for vehicle... i refer the rear areas of the buildings... you can shot front but not rear.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

one question Ben, can the Nato icons be turned off and on, eg toggled?

just wondered

edited...

while i'm looking and thinking

what is or will be the camera angles?

top down yes, but is there like Panzer Command: Ostfront & Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach, more of a free camera?
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The LOS tool only shades the ground and the units, not the terrain objects like buildings / walls / trees.

We could make an on/off option for the icons, but they're a lot easier to see and click than trying to hit the soldiers in an infantry team (which can be pretty small since we have a free zoom.)

The camera can be top-down or a set angled view at a high angle. You can pan and rotate the camera, as well as zooming in and out. The screenshot above is something like the minimum camera height.

Steve
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

The screenshot above is something like the minimum camera height.
The minimun? I waited some as the CC3 closer height. It looks as the normal height from CC games.
markvacc1

Post by markvacc1 »

Personally, I didn't see anything wrong with CC as it was. Maybe make a zoom level or two into it. Make it to where your BG might be the whole company with attached armor, which would be more that 15 units on the map or make the game into all of ww2, at least in Europe. It would be pretty huge, but would be playable campaigns like this.
SchnelleMeyer

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

Agree with you Outlaw Josey Wales. Top down 2D was perfect for this kind of tactical game. Was hard to see elevation changes on the maps, but contour lines on the overview map was included in the last game (GtC) that aleviated this a great deal.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

ORIGINAL: SchnelleMeyer

Agree with you Outlaw Josey Wales. Top down 2D was perfect for this kind of tactical game. Was hard to see elevation changes on the maps, but contour lines on the overview map was included in the last game (GtC) that aleviated this a great deal.
Yes but it has been said many times, the old 2D engine was old, it had several problems and it could not be improved more. Now a 3D engine, without problems between the graphics and code, I am sure how it can be a better start point for to continue the CC games.

In the same way, with the old engine, the creation of new mods was very long and sometimes, very difficult. Probably, if you have not tried to create a mod, you do not see this point but I have made several and I can tell you how hard was this. The new 3D offers a lot of easier ways at comparation, just the creation of new maps can be a lot easier and faster.

At few words, I do not want be making a mod 4 long years, never more.[:(]
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Are you a beta tester Nomada?

How do you know that there are no issues between the graphics and code or that the new game is easy to mod?

Look at the previous CC releases that this company/team made and the known bugs/issues they have ignored and left in the games.....
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

Are you a beta tester Nomada?
There is not beta by the moment. The answer is no.
How do you know that there are no issues between the graphics and code or that the new game is easy to mod?
3D engines have not these type of problems, we have seen Archon working before. Again, there were a old interview in the place where the first old screenshots from BF were published where it was told, the old CC game had 2 parts and they could not improve more the interaction between them.
Look at the previous CC releases that this company/team made and the known bugs/issues they have ignored and left in the games.....
Perhaps they could not fix them because they can not be fixed better. I do not go to guilt them by this. The old 2D engine had more of 20 years.....if you know something about code, you will know how it was probably a big mess and very probably, nobody can add features from modern games in it.

Just a opinion people but I see many of you very anchored in the past. For me, this new game at 3D, it can be a great salvation, I like make mods, I can edit almost all type of code and clearly I can make any 3D model. It is just a matter of free time for me. I like the BF progress as I see it.

In the same way, this new game will get a lot of new fresh players easily. There is not other tactical game like this by the moment, there are others with better graphics, yes, it is true, but the gameplay.......if BF has the same gameplay from previos CC games, it will be a lot more fun for many people. All the other games, most of them, pure RTS.
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

And that's the key to the Close Combat series. As long as CC stays true to it's initial concept of considering the soldiers mental state during combat, then it should remain a unique game indeed. Very few games of this type take this into consideration leaving them a little less than desirable. Units are more than just a "health" value which gives the player different challenges than most games of this type. I am looking forward to the release, and from the pre-release screen shots I've seen, it's looking good.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
loyalcitizen

Post by loyalcitizen »

LOS is looking good. But remember that just because a unit has LOS to another unit, it shouldn't automatically see it.

I've been playing GtC lately, and the Panzers instantly spot my 2-man Piat unit crawling in the orchards, at 100m.
Like instantly spot them in the first second in which they start crawling.

This will become a huge problem on the barren Tunisia and Sicily maps if it is not toned down.
mickxe5

Post by mickxe5 »

Will there be hindered LOS (dark green LOS/LOF line = area fire)? Any provision for firing through LOS obstructions?
eg. just because you cant see the bldg behind that tree doesnt necessarily mean you cant shoot through the leaves tohit the bldg.

Any changes in the past 6 months to the LOS system?

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”