Air-Drop Troops

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

santino250

Air-Drop Troops

Post by santino250 »

Hi All...

Why can't I get my Parachute FA or Parachute Tanks to drop???

They drop a very few troops but not hardware... I have tried using all my transports... from C47 to C54
to everything that can carry troops...

Even using hundreds of them.....

Thanks
shaun
santino
GetAssista

RE: Air-Drop Troops

Post by GetAssista »

For airtransport purposes a device either fits into a plane, or it does not fit at all and number of planes involved does not matter.
Only units with "INFp" tag can be paradropped, and there are some unfortunate occurencies in the scenarios where those units have devices that do not fit the planes - hence those devices get left behind. I am not aware of any paradroppable tanks in the game, are there any at all?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

To add to GetAssista's answer, do not rely on the word "Parachute" or "Para" in the name of the unit to determine if it can be air dropped - the name is not used to determine that. As GA points out, there is a special unit type in the database whose code number registers as INFp in the unit type display. That is your cue.

Also note that only INFp units can load in a transport sub (SST) in Combat mode for landing at an enemy held location. The Marine Raider battalions in the game can be transported by sub but not in Combat mode.

When you want to air transport something from base to base and not air-drop it, keep in mind that in the early game the PBY Catalina can haul heavier and larger things than any transport type aircraft. I have used them to move light AA guns and light (37mm) anti-tank guns for example.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
santino250

Post by santino250 »

Hi all

The Tank battalion is the US ARMY 28th Airborne Tank Battalion - ARMp

and their Cargo load cost is 2846, and the C46D has load cap. of 10,000, and the C54 skymaster has 16500

no big deal, just was wondering if it is a type-error?

thank u

santino
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

ORIGINAL: santino250

Hi all

and their Cargo load cost is 2846, and the C46D has load cap. of 10,000, and the C54 skymaster has 16500

thank u

tm.asp?m=2260137

michealm post in teh follwoing thread:
tm.asp?m=2483507
Air transport is handled fairly simplistically compared to ship transport.
-----------
Moving troops from base to base:
a) Can't move a non-squad or non-engineer device with a load cost >9

Air dropping troops:
a) Can't air drop a non-squad device with a load cost >7 or if none are ready

Common for ready devices:
b) Aviation support - 2 devices moved plus 2 more if a/c max load is 7500 or more
c) Squad or Engineer device type - 1 device moved plus one more if a/c max load is 7500 or more

Common for disabled devices:
d) Aviation support - 2 devices moved
e) Squad or Engineer device type - 1 device moved plus one more if a/c max load is 7500 or more

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Hi all

thank u

Except the Cargo load cost is in tons, and the aircraft lift capacity is in pounds .... 8.25 tons is your limit for the weight of an individual device on a C54 - and it has to fit in the cargo door of the aircraft too.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
wwengr

Post by wwengr »

There were only a few air transportable vehicles used in WWII, but they weren't any consequence. For instance, the 1/4-ton trucks like the Jeep. Little cargo capacity and little ability for sustained movement for long distances, these are probably abstracted as part of Support and Motorized Support Squads. Regardless, the vehicles of the motorized support of any consequence were 2-1/2 ton trucks and larger. They didn't fit on any aircraft.

The only air transportable vehicles were carried on gliders. Again small and of little consequence. No consequence at all for the Pacific theater. Gliders were only used a couple of times on the Game map. A landing near Appari (Phillipnes) on June 23rd, 1945. Six CG-4A (small 13 passenger) and one CG-13 (large glider) landed 19 troops, six jeeps, one trailer, some weapons, ammunition, radio, medical supplies. In game terms, maybe, two support squads with two supply points? A couple of times in Burma, C-47's towed gliders to land troops and equipment on damaged airfields. Small in number, each amounted to what would be a couple of Engineer squads. In game terms, they would be abstracted as a troop/supply transport mission by a small C-47 squadron.

The Engineer Vehicles in the game, think bulldozers, tractors, graders, dump trucks. None of these would fit on an airplane of the time. The tiny little bulldozers landed by glider really wouldn't count as much other than an abstraction of tools used by Engineer Squads. They could push enough dirt to fill in a bomb crater perhaps. Not enough earth moving capacity to create a runway.

The only air transportable tank built in WW2 was the M22 Locust. I believe the Brits landed 8 by glider in Operation Varsity in Germany and most were lost in the landing. One or two actually made it to their objective. They performed poorly and were never used again.

The 28th Airborne Tank Battalion was formed in 1943. It never saw airborne service. The Army never figured out how to employ it. In 1944, it was changed to Stuarts & halftracks, as equipped in the game. It was airborne in name only.

Gliders in the East
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Surely they could airlift a riding lawn mower for the Base Commander's lawn! [:D]
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: wwengr

The only air transportable tank built in WW2 was the M22 Locust. I believe the Brits landed 8 by glider in Operation Varsity in Germany and most were lost in the landing. One or two actually made it to their objective. They performed poorly and were never used again.
6th British Airborne landed some Tetrarchs in Normandy. And I think Soviets had some air transportable Tanks for their Parachute troops.
ancient doctor

Post by ancient doctor »

combat engineer type squads cant be air-dropped i think.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Ancient seaman

Correct. They may be airlifted, but not dropped. The load limit on an airdroppable device is 7. While the same on an airlifted device is 9. Combat engineers are level 9.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Correct. They may be airlifted, but not dropped. The load limit on an airdroppable device is 7. While the same on an airlifted device is 9. Combat engineers are level 9.
Something about dropping with a backpack full of detonators and C4 ...
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

It dropped. It just wasn't much use afterwords [:D]

Attachments
morning.jpg
morning.jpg (51.45 KiB) Viewed 339 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius
It dropped. It just wasn't much use afterwords [:D]
From here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjF8ju7YeLI
Those were 3 smashed Humvees out of about 6 dropped. Talk about reliability
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Something about dropping with a backpack full of detonators and C4 ...

You would think, but I think it was a Dev's decision.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
bobdina

Post by bobdina »

nothing to do with reliability Soldier Charged in Humvees' Free-Fall
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... -fall.html
ancient doctor

Post by ancient doctor »

so how manu combat squads a plane with capacity 0f 15-16000 can air-drop?1,2 more?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

so how manu combat squads a plane with capacity 0f 15-16000 can air-drop?1,2 more?
?
It is not a question of the weight the aircraft can lift, but the space available for troops and airdroppable equipment. What transport aircraft in the game can lift 15-16,000 lbs?
ancient doctor

Post by ancient doctor »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

?
It is not a question of the weight the aircraft can lift, but the space available for troops and airdroppable equipment. What transport aircraft in the game can lift 15-16,000 lbs?
There are a few models that have more than 10000 capacity in game,so how many squads can they air-drop?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

?
There are a few models that have more than 10000 capacity in game,so how many squads can they air-drop?
I don't know - the squad would have a cargo weight assigned in the editor but I don't think it is as easy as dividing the aircraft lift capacity by the cargo weight of a para squad. Some aircraft like PBYs can airlift troops but not drop them. A C-47 (Dakota) can only carry about one squad for purposes of para drop. That is accurate IRL, but it is possible the game designers allow you to cram more troops in.

Return to “The War Room”