Should We Attack Greece?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Goodmongo

Should We Attack Greece?

Post by Goodmongo »

So what are the benefits of taking the decision to DOW Greece in October 1940? I have always decided to say yes but I'm thinking it is actually better not to get involved there. Does Yugoslavia stay neutral if you don't?
KorutZelva

RE: Should We Attack Greece?

Post by KorutZelva »

A bit of a moral boost (provided you don't get pushed back) and 2 Italian units at a discount.

UK gets an event to coup yugo later no matter what happens.
wie201

Post by wie201 »

I decided not to in my AAR and am happy I didn't. You still will probably have to take out Yugoslavia, however.
IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

If you diplomacy yugo and the axis gains it by say aug or sept 40 .. then by all means go greece
the hq and a few units are vulnerable to air and mech/tank attacks
greece usually falls in 3 turns ..
IG
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

Agree with IG: Axis should strike quickly to take Greece by early 41.

Greece has a pretty strong pro-Allied leaning and if the Axis doesn't attack and conquer it, Allied diplo can usually swing Greece into a DoW by 42 or 43, opening up a Balkan front
wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

Ignored Greece in one game and they went Allied right away. So had to take them out anyway. I usually try to leave them alone and focus on Russia, which hasn't consistently worked.
Wurger
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Against the AI I found it's not worth taking Greece since it doesn't invest in diplomacy.

Against a human player it could be a thorn in your skin if you're fully committed in Russia and have to redirect forces to counter strike an invasion or Greece declaring war on the Axis due to diplomacy.

My reason not to declare war on Greece is mainly one, you have to deploy too many garrisons to prevent action by partisans, garrisons that are badly needed in Russia.

There goes my two cents.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

That`s an interesting calculation. Greece is producing 30 MPPs/turn, and needs 5 garrisons at most. No garrison costs more than 50 MPP, after 5-6 turns the garrisons are paid, the rest is profit. Makes 51o MPP/year at 17 turns/year. The earlier you invest, the better it pays off.

The forcepool of garrisons is so huge, and not every single partizanspot has to be occupied, just those near the front, cities and producing ressources.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

I always prep a group of Italians on the Yugo partisans. They gain valuable experience crushing these pitiful units and then eventually when you get the Italian heavy tanks you can easily take down the Grecians with your army group.

After that, you now have an experienced, effective Italian army group for any expeditions you wish to conduct.

Just in case you were wondering "what to do with the Italians"?[:D]

SeaMonkey
majpalmer

Post by majpalmer »

If I plan to invade Russia in 1941 I bypass Greece. The chances of delay are not worth the rewards of a victory.

If, however, I adopt a Western strategy focused on GB,usually including Sea Lion,then I will invade Greece, because the Greeks suck up British MMPs. If you are fighting the Brits in Sussex, Egypt, and Greece, the demand for replacements will be so high that they'll either have to fold in Greece, or see all their forces hollow out.

I generally do Poland, France, Malta, and then send the air units that did the job on Malta to Albania to take out Belgrade. Then Russia. No Greece.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”