THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rio Bravo

RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J)

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Great! I did not expect the bases to be so developed yet. BTW, forts have no effect on supply storage levels (not sure why you mentioned them).

BBfanboy-

When the Allies invaded the four southern Marianas Islands, the Allies unloaded numerous engineers of every type on each of the four southern Marianas Islands. Accordingly, the Ports, Airfields, and Forts built-up rapidly.

Is the only way to increase supply level at a base is to build the port or airbase or both?

Best Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Rio Bravo

Great! I did not expect the bases to be so developed yet. BTW, forts have no effect on supply storage levels (not sure why you mentioned them).

BBfanboy-

When the Allies invaded the four southern Marianas Islands, the Allies unloaded numerous engineers of every type on each of the four southern Marianas Islands. Accordingly, the Ports, Airfields, and Forts built-up rapidly.

Is the only way to increase supply level at a base is to build the port or airbase or both?

Best Regards,

-Terry
Yes both, until the combined levels =9 and storage becomes infinite.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]September 5, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

A slow day at Bedrock.

Synopsis of Combat Action for Today

1.) Of course, Japanese bombed Chungking.

2.) Japanese bombed near Chiang Mai (hex 57,52). 1 destroyed and eight damaged Ki-49-IIb Helens. No Allied losses.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for September 5, 1943.
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(5.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: Rio Bravo

BBfanboy-

Best Regards,

-Terry
Yes both, until the combined levels =9 and storage becomes infinite.

BBfanboy-

Thanks, that is valuable information.

Wish I had known that bit ages ago!

Best Regards,

-Terry

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]September 6, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

El Lobo continues to harass Allied transports slowing down the unloading of fuel and the loading of LBA earmarked for Takao and Pescadores as a part of Operations Bottle and Cork.

1.) Japanese bombed Chungking.

2.) Japanese bombarded Chungking. No Japanese losses, Allied losses were minimal.

3.) Allies deliberately attacked Pegu. Japanese suffered 3,801 casualties whereas the Allies suffered 939 casualties.

Attached below as a link is the Entire Combat Report for September 6, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(15.95 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]September 7, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

There is going to be a slight delay in the prosecution of the war. I am taking a week off to catch-up on client matters and household chores. I will send the September 8, 1943 Turn back to El Lobo a week from today (i.e., on August 18, 2017). In the meantime, I will no doubt make some posts to this AAR.

1.) The Japanese made three Naval Attacks: 6 Bettys attacked at Guam and 5 Jakes attacked twice at Saipan. The naval attacks did not cause any Allied losses nor damage.

2.) Japanese bombed Chungking.

3.) Japanese bombarded Chungking. No Japanese Losses. The Chinese suffered only 99 casualties.

4.) Allies deliberately attacked at Pegu.

Japanese Losses

3948 casualties reported
Squads: 24 destroyed, 137 disabled
Non Combat: 29 destroyed, 33 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled
Guns lost 47 (2 destroyed, 45 disabled)
Vehicles lost 87 (84 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied Losses

1413 casualties reported
Squads: 35 destroyed, 100 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 69 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 102 disabled
Guns lost 23 (4 destroyed, 19 disabled)
Vehicles lost 115 (5 destroyed, 110 disabled)

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for September 7, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

CaptHaggard

Post by CaptHaggard »

Question for the War College:

Subject: Surface Bombardment TF

Details: Travel to the target at "Mission Speed", "Retirement Allowed"; bombard at night and leave. IOW, "Tokyo Express" turf.

Goal: To escape target's aircraft after bombarding during daylight hours egress.

Problem: Encountering target hex, Bombardment TF encounters enemy surface combat TF.

Question One: Will the surface battle always occur prior to Bombardment TF's bombardment?

Question Two: Does the surface battle cause the egress of the bombardment TF (after the bombardment) to be "less efficient" in terms of number of hexes travelled?

Question Three: Suppose there are TWO enemy surface combat TFs, and TWO separate surface battles. Will this cause the egress of the bombardment TF to travel even less hexes? If there is a cost to battle, in terms of time and therefore hexes-travelled, is it cumulative?

Gentlemen, any information on this topic will be greatly appreciated!

As always, your appreciative

Hag

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Q1. No. Sometimes it is on egress, sometimes you dodge them completely.
Q2. Maybe. It could just mean a shortened bombardment.
Q3. Ammo and ops points are expended, sometimes enough to reduce movement. After two surface battles your TF may be short on ammo and return to base without bombarding. It might switch to SCTF mode at this point and exit at cruise speed rather than full speed (not sure about this).

Ending up in bombing range of the enemy is an occupational hazard. If possible, arrange LRCAP of the TF.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
CaptHaggard

Post by CaptHaggard »

Q1. No. Sometimes it is on egress, sometimes you dodge them completely.
Q2. Maybe. It could just mean a shortened bombardment.
Q3. Ammo and ops points are expended, sometimes enough to reduce movement. After two surface battles your TF may be short on ammo and return to base without bombarding. It might switch to SCTF mode at this point and exit at cruise speed rather than full speed (not sure about this).

Ending up in bombing range of the enemy is an occupational hazard. If possible, arrange LRCAP of the TF.

BB—

Clear & succinct on a subject I now see is a nicely nuanced consistency of maybes—just what makes this game great.

Thank you, my friend! I appreciate the information and advice re LRCAP!

I hope your weekend goes well!

Hag
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]September 8, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

Before the sun rose over the four southern Marianas Islands, American Marines, Army, and Naval ground forces, LBA, and supply were loading on transports bound for Takao and Pescadores. Operations Bottle and Cork have commenced.

1.) Near Tinian (hexes 108,94 nd 108,95), Japanese Jakes and Nells miss two British and two U. S. Battleships. The Japanese lost 1 aircraft and 7 aircraft were damaged. No Allied losses.

2.) Japanese bombed Chungking; continuing to take a heavy toll on Manpower and Resources.

3.) Near Pagan (hex 111,90), Dauntless Dive Bombers cause heavy fires to E Tatsuko and heavy fires with heavy damage to E W-26. No Allied losses.

4.) Near Almagan (hex 110,90), Dauntless Dive Bombers cause heavy fires to DD Yudachi. No Allied losses.

5.) Allies bombed the Pagan airfield. 1 Jake was destroyed on the ground with minor damage to the runway. The Allies suffered 2 destroyed and 3 damaged Liberators, and 4 damaged Venturas.

6.) Japanese bombarded Chungking inflicting minimal Allied casualties.

7.) Near Kweiyang (hex 75,48), Japanese deliberately attacked the 1st New Chinese Corps inflicting 1,148 Chinese casualties and forced the 1st to retreat. The Japanese suffered a mere 48 casualties.

8.) Allies deliberately attacked the trapped Japanese at Pegu. Japanese suffered 6,186 casualties. The Allies suffered 953 casualties.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for September 8, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(20.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]September 9, 1943[/center]

El Lobo boldly ordered Japanese Warships to threaten Guam. His Surface Combat Task Force sunk 4 DDs; 1 DE; 4 PCs; 2 PGs; and damaged 7 other ships. The Allies responded sinking one BB; setting another BB ablaze; and damaging 3 DDs.

Synopsis of Combat Events for Today

1.) Off the coast of Guan (hex 106,95), several Surface Combat engagements occurred:

Japanese losses

BB Isa; 9 shell hits; on fire.
BB Hyuga; 35 shell hits; 2 torpedo hits; sunk.
DD Oshio, 1 shell hit; on fire.
DD Michishio; 3 shell hits.
DD Kasumi; 1 shell hit.

Allied Losses

DD Sampson; sunk.
DD Starett; sunk.
DD Wilson; sunk.
DD Warramunga; sunk.
DE Express; sunk.
PC Tiger; sunk.
PC Reliance; sunk.
PC Kimball; sunk.
PC Crawfor; sunk.
PG Charleston; sunk.
PG Herald; sunk.
CA Sufflok; 4 shell hits.
CLAA Haemskarck; 5 shell hits; on fire.
DD Voyager; 2 shell hits.
DE Electra; 2 shell hits.
BB Mississippi; 1 shell hit.
BB New Mexico; 3 shell hits; on fire.
DD Clark; 1 shell hit.

2.) Japanese bombed Chungking.

3.) Allies bombed Pagan.

Japanese Losses

3 destroyed and 5 damaged (N1K1-3 George).

Allied Losses

2 destroyed and 6 damaged (PB4Y-1 Liberator).
1 destroyed and 9 damaged (B24D-1 Liberator).
3 destroyed and 2 damaged (PV-1 Ventura).

4.) Japanese bombarded Chungking. The Allies suffered 224 casualties. No Japanese losses.

5.) Japanese deliberately attacked near Ankang. The Chinese suffered 2,044 casualties and were forced to retreat. The Japanese suffered a mere 44 casualties.

Attached below as a link is the entire September 9, 1943 Combat Report.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(37.16 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Great result!! The skippers of the Brit DEs deserve VCs. The smaller TFs ran the IJN short of ammo is my guess...on top of the lucky DE torpedo hits.
CaptHaggard

Post by CaptHaggard »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Great result!! The skippers of the Brit DEs deserve VCs. The smaller TFs ran the IJN short of ammo is my guess...on top of the lucky DE torpedo hits.

PP—

I agree, they both fought valiantly.

It was unfortunate that the Charleston and other PG/PCs got caught up when returning to port from ASW patrols.

Question: Would giving "Safest" orders for the route home helped in possibly preventing that happenstance from occurring?

Good to hear from you,

Hag

EDIT 8/27: Yes, PP—I finally get your point! The Jap bombardment was doubtless unsuccessful because of the small TFs engaging it! Recommending Navy Crosses for those gentlemen as well!
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

pontiouspilot-

It is always a welcome sight to watch a Japanese Capital Ship sink below the waves.

However, El Lobo made the Allies pay a heavy price to sink BB Hyuga.

Presently, my primary goals at the Southern Marianas Islands are as follows:

1.) Safely complete the loading of transports for Operations Bottle and Cork.

2.) Prevent the Japanese from bombarding the airfields and destroying hundreds of aircraft.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]Operations Bottle & Cork

Marianas Islands

as of September 10, 1943
[/center]

By the end of the day on September 10, 1943, Operations Bottle and Cork are anticipated to fully complete the loading of ground forces, aircraft, and supply on transport ships bound for Takao, Formosa and Pescadores.

Staging Area

By the end of the day on September 11, 1943, the entire Invasion Fleet for Operations Bottle and Cork are anticipated to be at hex 107, 94 (one hex due west of Tinian).

Distance and Time

The distance from the Staging Area to hex 83,63 (one hex due west of Pescadores) is 1,640 miles.

All of the Task Forces of the Invasion Fleet will move together as one group at the speed of 5 knots (slowed down by Mine Tender Task Forces).

On September 20, 1943, it is anticipated that the Invasion Fleet will arrive at hex 83,63 (one hex due west of Pescadores).

The Route

On September 12, 1943, it is anticipated that the Invasion Fleet will leave the Staging Area (one hex due west of Tinian).

The Invasion Fleet will move directly northwest (diagonally) to hex 94,68 (two hexes southwest of Naha, Okinawa) to give El Lobo the impression that the Invasion Fleet’s destination is Okinawa.

Upon reaching hex 94,68 (two hexes southwest of Naha, Okinawa), the Invasion Fleet will turn due west passing directly under Orchid Island and Hengchen to hex 84,68 (one hex southwest of Hengchen).

Upon reaching hex 84,68 (one hex southwest of Hengchen), the Invasion Fleet will turn northwest to hex 83,63 (one hex due west of Pescadores).

Invasion

On September 21, 1942, it is anticipated that ground forces and supply will simultaneously and amphibiously land at Takao, Formosa and Pescadores.

However, in the event that Allied recon of Takao and Pescadores indicate that those two bases are lightly defended by the Japanese, though the Marines are 100% fully-prepped for Pescadores and though U.S. Army troops are 100% fully-prepped for Takao, the Marines will proceed to invade Amoy, China while the U.S. Army splits its forces to invade both Takao and Pescadores.

Conclusion

Should my time permit, at some point during the Invasion Fleet’s route toward hex 83,63 (one hex due west of Pescadores), I will provide the Order of Battle for all Invasion Fleet Task Forces and the Order of Battle for the ground forces, aircraft, and supply anticipated to land at Takao, Pescadores, and possibly Amoy, China.

A map of the Marianas Islands lit-up like Christmas on September 10, 1943 is displayed below.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
StagingArea.jpg
StagingArea.jpg (290.68 KiB) Viewed 27 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]September 10, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

All Operations Bottle and Cork Amphibious and LBA Transport Task Forces have fully loaded all ground forces, LBA, and supply and will be one hex west of Tinian by the end of the day on September 11, 1943.

On September 12, 1943 the Invasion Fleet will leave the vicinity of the Marianas Islands bound to invade Takao, Formosa and Pescadores.

1.) Bettys Bomb Guam

Japanese Losses

1 destroyed and 11 damaged G4M1 Betty.

No Allied losses.

2.) Japanese bombed Chungking. If anyone is as tired of El Lobo's bombing of Chungking as I am, please go to his AAR and give him hell! *laughing*

3.) Near Almagan (hex 109,98) Helldivers Dive

Japanese Losses

E Uji; 1 bomb hit; heavy fires.
E Kunshiri; 2 bomb hits; heavy fires.

Allied Losses

2 damaged SB2C-1C Helldiver.

4.) Japanese bombarded Chungking. You might include giving El Lobo hell for bombarding Chungking too.

No Japanese losses.

Allied Losses

282 casualties.

5.) Japanese bombarded near Chungking (hex 76,47)

No Japanese losses.

Allied Losses

8 casualties.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for September 10, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

El Lobo doesn't seem to post often, if at all.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]September 11, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

The entire Invasion Fleet for Operations Bottle and Cork (i.e., the invasions of Takao, Formosa and Pescadores) will be one hex due west of Tinian by the end of today.

1.) Near Guam (hex 107,94), Bettys flew at night to bomb Allied Destroyers; 1 Betty was destroyed and three were damaged. No Allied damage.

2.) Near Almagan (hex 109,99), Dauntless Dive Bombers hit the E Uji with 2 bombs causing heavy fires and heavy damage. No Allied losses.

3.) Japanese bombed Chungking. The mayor, presently hiding out in the Himalaya Mountains, declared the city to be renamed "Bomb Pit."

4.) Japanese bombarded Chungking inflicting 180 Chinese casualties. No Japanese casualties.

5.) Near Chungking (hex 76,47), Japanese bombarded Chinese ground forces inflicting a mere 10 casualties. No Japanese losses.

Attached below as a link is the entire September 11, 1943 Combat Report.

Best Regards,

-Terry
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(10.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

El Lobo doesn't seem to post often, if at all.

Rusty-

El Lobo phoned me from Thailand last night.

A few days ago, he rescued a little Chihuahua that was hit by a car. El Lobo and his wife took the little dog to the vet and they were worried that the dog's leg would need to be amputated. As it turns out, it now appears that perhaps only the dog's foot will need to be amputated. El Lobo advised that he has three updates with maps to post on his AAR, but that he has been giving the little dog he named Pow Wow plenty of attention and love and hasn't had the time to post his updates.

Best Regards,

-Terry

CaptHaggard

Post by CaptHaggard »

Gentlemen—

Unless someone slaps me out of it, I set sail this morning 7 Port Attack SS TFs... they are going to enter Takao, Kai-whatever the other Formosan port is, Pescadores, Amoy, Swatow, Tsinkiang & Chaochow—two days before the TFG enters the invasion hex—and blow up whatever they can.

Return to “After Action Reports”