Ship side's Arts

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

Ship side's Arts

Post by Rising-Sun »

Hello, I been making counters for this naval board game lately, manage to steal some artworks from the Art folder and look pretty good on the counters.

I tried to get in touch with bill, no reply and Erik mailbox is full. Once I get this board game going, I can give that person who made them for credits. Hope there wont be any problems in the future.

Thomas
BBfanboy

RE: Ship side's Arts

Post by BBfanboy »

There is additional artwork available at this link (scroll down past the map artwork):

tm.asp?m=3088504
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

There is additional artwork available at this link (scroll down past the map artwork):

tm.asp?m=3088504

Cool, thanks.

As long there is who ever made them. Otherwise could run into problems later on.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Have you looked at the game credits? Try the "C" button in the upper right of the game screen.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Are you developing this board game as a hobby or to monetize it?

If the former - I think most (if not all) artists on these forums would be happy to support the effort, and if anything would be flattered that you thought highly enough of their work to include it in your project.

If you're looking to monetize the board game (even on a small scale), then you'll need to track down every author of the artwork and get permission - or develop your own! The good news is that you're free to use the existing work as 'inspiration' - it can serve as a general guide to how the artwork might be done. You could probably use it during prototyping while you're hammering out the game mechanics, but once you make the leap to monetization, everything needs to be above board.

The best option at that point is to pay an artist (or multiple) to create original work for you (so you know there won't be any entanglements), and you'd find more than a few with considerable talent on these forums, which makes the talent search that much easier. Even getting permission for existing work is tricky because a lot of the artwork available is either already commercialized (any artwork officially part of WitPAE) or are derivative works (i.e. using photos/paintings for LCU artwork, for example). It works beautifully as a hobby community but can quickly turn into a sticky wicket once people decide they want to make a profit.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

Are you developing this board game as a hobby or to monetize it?

If the former - I think most (if not all) artists on these forums would be happy to support the effort, and if anything would be flattered that you thought highly enough of their work to include it in your project.

If you're looking to monetize the board game (even on a small scale), then you'll need to track down every author of the artwork and get permission - or develop your own! The good news is that you're free to use the existing work as 'inspiration' - it can serve as a general guide to how the artwork might be done. You could probably use it during prototyping while you're hammering out the game mechanics, but once you make the leap to monetization, everything needs to be above board.

The best option at that point is to pay an artist (or multiple) to create original work for you (so you know there won't be any entanglements), and you'd find more than a few with considerable talent on these forums, which makes the talent search that much easier. Even getting permission for existing work is tricky because a lot of the artwork available is either already commercialized (any artwork officially part of WitPAE) or are derivative works (i.e. using photos/paintings for LCU artwork, for example). It works beautifully as a hobby community but can quickly turn into a sticky wicket once people decide they want to make a profit.

True, but don't think this will be profitable by me. The game crafter is the one is making these items. So you pay them to do it and ship it. What I am trying to do is improve naval engagement settings for Pacific War Board Games or any of them will be suitable for this addon. Later I may update everything in the Pacific War Campaign, it is a lot of work to do though. Only problems is getting those huge maps to re-prints, those aren't cheap at all. Beside sadly the game crafter doesn't do maps.

Return to “Tech Support”