The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by witpqs »

How big is that airfield?
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/23/44

Intelligence Screen.

Attachments
102344I..eScreen.jpg
102344I..eScreen.jpg (175.83 KiB) Viewed 33 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
How big is that airfield?

Level 2 (at the moment).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

After catching up on the rest of your posts - the settings I am advocating are what I've sussed out as working best for me against air strikes of potentially hundreds of planes, several times in the day. They do have some weaknesses that sometimes are difficult to cover (such as surface forces) but the ability to cover them depends on what else you're doing besides just protecting from air strikes.

Given that you see movement dots in the replay at Hangchow, towards Ningpo, it looks like he guessed where you'd be landing. That's fine. I doubt he built forts there and it's a clear hex... My only concern with such a landing would be supplies, but I'm sure you paid attention to that as you always do.

I understand. I had a hunch about how to configure my defenses, based upon my experience more than anything. It worked fine under these circumstances. Whether it would work fine in other circumstances....I dunno. So I note your method and will mull it over.

I have a huge amount of supply to land at Ningpo, but the base is currently small. It'll have to be built large before I can get what I want ashore.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/23/44

Air Losses: Pretty heavy for John. Where are his kamikazes? Jake ground losses give some hope for the notion that Tone went under.

Attachments
102344AirLosses.jpg
102344AirLosses.jpg (119.11 KiB) Viewed 33 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

There is some circumstance under which John will commit his carriers and kamikazes. Some better conditions than he perceived at Shanghai and Ningpo. Looking ahead, I don't foresee Death Star being this exposed again. He is backing himself into a corner, saving KB for the right moment but letting one "right moment" pass after another.

Earlier it was arguable that his victory points-conserving strategy was working in his favor. That's no longer true. I have the position from which to finish the war. Unless he does something to interfere it's just a mathematical formula now: Regular strategic bombing will yield enough VP to result in Auto Victory conditions sometime in 1945, probably early in the year.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/23/44

Major LOCs and penetrating into "non-vital" areas, so-called.

Attachments
102344L..alAreas.jpg
102344L..alAreas.jpg (338.88 KiB) Viewed 33 times
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Jake ground losses give some hope for the notion that Tone went under.

Tone took 3 fish altogether, right? Plus the shells .. it really should go down. Fitting that the last fish to hit it was the Shark.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Yes, three torps. She's probably finished off.

I think Shark scored against at least one carrier earlier in the game.
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Yeah, you can be pretty sure that she's a goner, soaking up that much punishment - particularly the Torps.

I suspect John doesn't realize how much the game pretty much ends once the Allies get in Bomber range of the Home Islands. You've also put yourself in a position that makes everything South of there functionally irrelevant.

He may be happy that he can try to get his hands on your ground forces again, but all it takes is a couple really good CAS strikes in clear terrain to pretty much wreck his forces.

The next several weeks should be interesting.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

I suspect John doesn't realize how much the game pretty much ends once the Allies get in Bomber range of the Home Islands.
Indeed....or at least it does until the next mod......War in the Pacific....The Night Fighter edition. All kidding aside the Philippines and Formosa were sold much too cheaply by the empire. Some bad die rolls in Formosa for sure, and Dan had a great plan....but the IJN did little to delay the bold interior moves
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/23/44

The stars had aligned this morning: important turn, arrived at the right moment from John, family all away all day, and I just took my time with it. Much fun.

Fancy Pants: Perhaps the last post for this busy day.

Attachments
102344FancyPants.jpg
102344FancyPants.jpg (904.95 KiB) Viewed 33 times
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Again, John is in serious trouble & he doesn't even seem to realize it. I believe you've lulled him into a false sense of security - since your Strategic Bombing efforts have merely been pin-pricks thus far.

Not realizing that you are focusing on developing Size 8 & 9 airfields, in an interlocking matrix, all in range of most of his industry - as soon as you as ready, there will be hundreds of bombers per night turning his cities to ash.

He's entirely focused on trying to come to grips with your ground forces, which, at this point in the war, are almost irrelevant to the end-game (focused on strategic bombing).

Once you're ready, leaping at his remaining carriers will be merely a sideshow to what is about to occur.

JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

I think the next model of the B-29's are rolling out now. Takes quite a while to move them over but the groups are bigger and there are lots of groups. add the B-24's and the allies are about to bring the pain big time. The Allies can just rack up points now so the games is winding down. Maybe go to Korea if bored
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Actually, how easy is it going to be to shut down the supply spigot to the Japanese forces in China?
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Actually, how easy is it going to be to shut down the supply spigot to the Japanese forces in China?
Does China generate and supply for Japan or does it all come form the Home Islands? Got tho think Shanghai is about to be closed. If John has supply issue the fact that the Chinese units are filling out is going to be double trouble.
BTW, how many B-24's do you have and how are the pools looking?
Jellicoe

Post by Jellicoe »

Given Mr. C's key bases, which would be the quickest way to get those groups to the front? I believe they all appear on the East Coast of the US. Ship to Aden and thence AK to India or rail to San Francisco and boat to Aus or fly from San Fransisco to Pearl and thence Marshalls and Aus?

JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

ORIGINAL: Jellicoe

Given Mr. C's key bases, which would be the quickest way to get those groups to the front? I believe they all appear on the East Coast of the US. Ship to Aden and thence AK to India or rail to San Francisco and boat to Aus or fly from San Fransisco to Pearl and thence Marshalls and Aus?

I went West Coast to Pearl to one of the island bases to Australia to final base. The bigger the base (with support) the faster they will move. I don't wait for the whole group to repair. Just keep moving them and let the stragglers catch up. It's an annoying and time consuming click fest
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

For the B-29s, I usually send them: San Fran: Midway: Manila.

John used to frequently send emails that he would send another turn on a particular day "without issue." Without fail, the turn wouldn't come that day. That got to be such a sure thing that I mentioned it here. A little mouse (I think I know who) must've whispered this to John, because he then abandoned that word after using it regularly for ten years.

Yesterday at lunchtime, John asked me to send a turn during the day. He said he planned to run a turn sometime during the day. The next I heard from him was in the early evening hours, when he wrote this: "Will tackle this turn before bed.  PROMISE!"

No turn.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

You should go back to playing the AI after this game to avoid being disappointed Dan. As a parent you should be more understanding and less critical. Add in John's role at two Subway stores. I get cut off by both frequently.
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “After Action Reports”