Questionably OT: AA versus Air Attack in GoT

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

oaltinyay

Questionably OT: AA versus Air Attack in GoT

Post by oaltinyay »

For those who are watching GoT...

How do you think the inevitable naval-air conflict between Miss Daenery's air and Mdm. Cersei's naval forces resolve ? House Lannister is shown to develop capable AA weapons however they are still an untested potential besides with the example of Crete '41, and several more from the domain of this game I find it quite possible if not inevitable that Greyjoy can be torched to cinders by the Flieger Corps X of the Daenery's.

Even if the Dragon strike force comes in unprepared ( which I doubt ), after the first use of the AA assets by Cersei's forces which may or may not result in a kill, the remaining dragons can adapt and nullify this threat and then consume the fleet.

What do you think ?

Rising-Sun

RE: Questionably OT: AA versus Air Attack in GoT

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well those dragons gonna get wasted, if not careful. But I be more interesting who gonna take the throne. IMO I was thinking the imp or peter. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

This should be in general forum, really have nothing to do with WitP:AE.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

well I'm not really a GoT watcher anyway. My angle was on the Air vs Surface engagement aspect of the series. Apologies to all and please have it removed.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well depend on the surprise and experience. Possible to disrupt them before they will fire, but not 100 percent effects. As long those weapons can reach the targets, anything is possible. Even high rate of fire make a different too.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

well I'm not really a GoT watcher anyway. My angle was on the Air vs Surface engagement aspect of the series. Apologies to all and please have it removed.

It's fine to post about movies and TV here so long as the thread is marked OT, which you did. Your point relates to ships and aerial units, so it's even more fine.

I don't think the ballista that the maester showed the queen is intended for shipboard mounting. Large, expensive, and hard to train. It's for city defense. Similar units have been shown in several other dragon-related movies.

I think, dramatically, that one dragon will be killed. Probably not Drogon; maybe the one named for her brother? And that will cement D's hatred for the Lanisters, and the rains will fall on their house. From previews it looks like at least two dragons will participate in a charge with the Dothraki, but it isn't known if that will be before or after Kings Landing is dealt with.

Unrelated, but I think the Unsullied are going to do a March of the Ten Thousand act across Westeros. And Yara and/or Theon are going to cack Uncle Maniac.
The Moose
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

If they knew they were coming in the right angle, for example like the movie Reign of Fire. But that was a smaller dragon. But still can cripple one.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

What'GoT and what are you talking about??
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Game of Thrones - spoiler alert. I understand that the Queen of Dragons is using her time wisely. She has tasked her engineers with fitting torpedoes to the Dragons.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I heard that in the mid season draft they signed up some jock from Dale Uni!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

What nobody is addressing is, who would win Yamato vs a dragon? Does dragon breath melt steel? Would it heat the turrets enough to cause the powder inside to combust? These are the important questions.
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

It's fine to post about movies and TV here so long as the thread is marked OT, which you did. Your point relates to ships and aerial units, so it's even more fine.

I don't think the ballista that the maester showed the queen is intended for shipboard mounting. Large, expensive, and hard to train. It's for city defense. Similar units have been shown in several other dragon-related movies.

I think, dramatically, that one dragon will be killed. Probably not Drogon; maybe the one named for her brother? And that will cement D's hatred for the Lanisters, and the rains will fall on their house. From previews it looks like at least two dragons will participate in a charge with the Dothraki, but it isn't known if that will be before or after Kings Landing is dealt with.

Unrelated, but I think the Unsullied are going to do a March of the Ten Thousand act across Westeros. And Yara and/or Theon are going to cack Uncle Maniac.

Will Bran Stark travel down to Dragonstone? If so, possibilities open - Bran worgs into one of the dragons and leads the other two in a night strike on Euron's fleet. That will make it harder to target the dragons with the still-experimental AA weapon, plus Bran has solid intelligence on the fleet and its defenses (as the Three-Eyed Raven he sees all). With Bran/Drogon leading the strike, Daenerys can stay safe in Dragonstone. Of course, that is all contingent upon an alliance between Daenerys and her nephew.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Skyros

What nobody is addressing is, who would win Yamato vs a dragon? Does dragon breath melt steel? Would it heat the turrets enough to cause the powder inside to combust? These are the important questions.

Dragon fire forms obsidian, so yeah, I think steel is right out.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Will Bran Stark travel down to Dragonstone? If so, possibilities open - Bran worgs into one of the dragons and leads the other two in a night strike on Euron's fleet. That will make it harder to target the dragons with the still-experimental AA weapon, plus Bran has solid intelligence on the fleet and its defenses (as the Three-Eyed Raven he sees all). With Bran/Drogon leading the strike, Daenerys can stay safe in Dragonstone. Of course, that is all contingent upon an alliance between Daenerys and her nephew.

I don't think dragons can be worged--they're magical. Also very proud.

Bran will be vital for intel for sure. Not sure in the south though. He has to talk to Jon and tell him about his DNA. Then Jon and D. can ally safely and it's on.
The Moose
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

The Lannister anti-dragon weaponary will be interesting. Looks like the effect and pen values are decent, but it's the accuracy rating that will make the difference. Depends on the altitude the dragons attack at - those ballistics don't look like they'll do much at anything over 2000ft - if the dragons operate above that point the flak damage should be minimal.

In general,

Daenerys needs to get her game together, big time.

Unsullied getting trapped in the Casterly Rock hex and losing hexside control is a big blow.

She needs to check the naval ratings of her naval captains, Euron keeps getting the drop on them and Euron has crazy naval, INSP and leadership ratings. Lot's of surprise attacks.

Command HQ's also need an overhaul - Tyrion has great INSP, leadership, Admin and land ratings, but he's not a naval guy.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Methinks that a target tracking system is needed for the catapults. Dragons must fly very fast in order for an object that heavy to stay airborne. How about proximity fuses?

Or a barrage balloon in the shape of a female dragon?

Cersei must have a spy (Varys?) in Daenerys' camp.

Will the dragon launched torpedoes have shallow water fins, as at Pearl Harbor?

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I say that the dragons are going to kick some serious Iron-Born *SS! That ballista is ground-based and not made for ships.

As Lady Olenna (dear and now departed but what a JUICY role!) told Dany. "Be a DRAGON!"

It was all worth it just to see Dany and Jon in the same frame and I cannot wait until his true parentage is revealed. Some theorize that real evidence of his parentage lies in the crypt of his Mother. Maybe another dragon egg or two? Would take while to grow them but MORE are needed.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I am not sure there is a spy in Dragonstone. Jaime pulled the same feint that Robb Stark used on him in the first season - he learned from his defeat. Jaime knows what drives his brother. Tyrion has always been obsessed with Casterly Rock, especially since Tywin let him know that he would never be Lord (even though Jaime is legally prohibited from being Lord of Casterly Rock by virtue of his membership in the King's Guard).

Moreover, Cersei needs the Tyrell wealth stockpiled in High Garden to pay off the Iron Bank loans to the Crown, which the Iron Bankers have made known for 2-3 seasons are due. Both the Crown and the Lannisters are broke.

This has turned into a neat story setup - two opponents who are trying mask serious weaknesses (depleted forces/resources and lack of immediate or reliable allies on both sides), while the audience knows that an unearthly juggernaut is gathering strength in the far north. Cersei and Daenarys may face off in a great battle to see, as Ser Davos Seaworth put it, "whose skeleton sits on the Iron Throne."
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I am not sure there is a spy in Dragonstone. Jaime pulled the same feint that Robb Stark used on him in the first season - he learned from his defeat. Jaime knows what drives his brother. Tyrion has always been obsessed with Casterly Rock, especially since Tywin let him know that he would never be Lord (even though Jaime is legally prohibited from being Lord of Casterly Rock by virtue of his membership in the King's Guard).

Moreover, Cersei needs the Tyrell wealth stockpiled in High Garden to pay off the Iron Bank loans to the Crown, which the Iron Bankers have made known for 2-3 seasons are due. Both the Crown and the Lannisters are broke.

This has turned into a neat story setup - two opponents who are trying mask serious weaknesses (depleted forces/resources and lack of immediate or reliable allies on both sides), while the audience knows that an unearthly juggernaut is gathering strength in the far north. Cersei and Daenarys may face off in a great battle to see, as Ser Davos Seaworth put it, "whose skeleton sits on the Iron Throne."
The Night King's skeleton!
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I'm sorry, but you just can't pivot that ballista fast enough to track a dragon across a battlefield. Not to mention you probably can't train it upwards to hit a flying target...

It's completely unfeasible and I'm already annoyed that it's a thing unless it fails spectacularly, as it should.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

The Lannister anti-dragon weaponary will be interesting. Looks like the effect and pen values are decent, but it's the accuracy rating that will make the difference. Depends on the altitude the dragons attack at - those ballistics don't look like they'll do much at anything over 2000ft - if the dragons operate above that point the flak damage should be minimal.

In general,

Daenerys needs to get her game together, big time.

Unsullied getting trapped in the Casterly Rock hex and losing hexside control is a big blow.

She needs to check the naval ratings of her naval captains, Euron keeps getting the drop on them and Euron has crazy naval, INSP and leadership ratings. Lot's of surprise attacks.

Command HQ's also need an overhaul - Tyrion has great INSP, leadership, Admin and land ratings, but he's not a naval guy.
[:D]

Thanks mate. Best post I've read today.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”