OT: Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jorge_Stanbury

OT: Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Has anybody played "Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris"

I am looking for a early war (1939 - 1940) wargame, and this seems to be the only one available that is not a clone of Panzer General

thanks in advance
sventhebold

RE: OT: Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg

Post by sventhebold »

Just bought it. Seems ok so far.
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

I am looking for a early war (1939 - 1940) wargame, and this seems to be the only one available that is not a clone of Panzer General

thanks in advance
warspite1

I bought it but never played it - I can't even remember why I bought it, but I am minded to fire it up having watched Dunkirk [:)].
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
szmike

Post by szmike »

it's interesting in the mold of old board hex games, interface isn't the most friendly, but it's nothing for Witp veteran
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

thanks in advance
warspite1

I bought it but never played it - I can't even remember why I bought it, but I am minded to fire it up having watched Dunkirk [:)].
Because you got a discount on it when you bought DC:B?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

thanks in advance
warspite1

warspite1

Oh that rings a bell! Thank-you. Now all I have to do is find the game [:(]

Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Dunkirk has certainly triggered some interest in that battle; still can't understand how the French were not able to launch a counter offensive once the Ardennes were breached..

I mean, I understand the surprise, but there were a lot of divisions on reserve (including the few French armored divisions); definitively they had numerical superiority against the overextended panzers... too slow to react? WWI pace of advance mentality?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Dunkirk has certainly triggered some interest in that battle; still can't understand how the French were not able to launch a counter offensive once the Ardennes were breached..

I mean, I understand the surprise, but there were a lot of divisions on reserve (including the few French armored divisions); definitively they had numerical superiority against the overextended panzers... too slow to react? WWI pace of advance mentality?
warspite1

Remember Gamelin had used up his intended reserves when he decided on the Breda Variant. So all the best French troops were in Belgium.

Yes the French had their generally excellent tanks (but lacking radio) but the speed of reaction was woeful, as was the co-ordination with the infantry - some of whom , having been broken on the Meuse, were heading west and not sticking around for any counter-attack. And of course there was the lack of communication that afflicted the entire army from the top down. Orders took hours to get to the front. Gamelin was fighting WWII at WWI pace. He was sure the Germans wouldn't be able to attack across the Meuse until day 10 iirc.

I recommend Blitzkrieg (Lloyd Clark) This gives an excellent impression of just how bad things were and Dunkirk (Hugh Sebag-Montefiore) tells of the 'dereliction of duty' by Gamelin and Georges in failing to marshal their tank forces quickly enough.

By the time the French recovered - and lets be clear, many, many Frenchmen did their job - it was all too late and the damage had been done. All the luck was with the Germans (who survived their own wobbles) and the rest, as they say, is history....

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I have it and Case Blue.

The idea of a campaign from Poland through Sea Lion is appealing.

Played it twice through Poland.

Not a bad game, but didn't pull me in.

Hate the fact that divisional artillery regiments have infantry symbols.
Hans

Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

warspite1

I recommend Blitzkrieg (Lloyd Clark) This gives an excellent impression of just how bad things were and Dunkirk (Hugh Sebag-Montefiore) tells of the 'dereliction of duty' by Gamelin and Georges in failing to marshal their tank forces quickly enough.

Thanks a lot!, I will order it soon
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I have it and Case Blue.

The idea of a campaign from Poland through Sea Lion is appealing.

Played it twice through Poland.

Not a bad game, but didn't pull me in.

Hate the fact that divisional artillery regiments have infantry symbols.

Is there any better alternative? has to be a relatively recent game, 10 years old is fine

Last time I played an early WWII game was John Tiller's Campaign (1st one included Western front).. with Dunkirk's movie I got a lot interest on that era [;)]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

warspite1

Oh that rings a bell! Thank-you. Now all I have to do is find the game [:(]
warspite1

Found it! I might have to give this a go [:)]

Encircled

Post by Encircled »

They tried to, but the pace of advance and general inexperience/incompetence of handling tanks made it a non-starter.

French tanks were good, but huge fuel hogs and they got abandoned all over the battlefield
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I read that also German Panzers were at half strength by the time the reach the sea; mostly mechanical breakdowns

By the way, I just bought it; my 1st impression is that it is OK, in a realism scale, with WITPAE at 10, Panzer General at 1 : I would put it around 4; good for casual play, for those interested in the early Blitz era. The game is non-WEGO turn based at the brigade-division level

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I read that also German Panzers were at half strength by the time the reach the sea; mostly mechanical breakdowns
warspite1

After their two week lightning campaign they were probably in some need of R+R. However the main reason for the halt order I believe is the British and French attack at Arras had an unnerving effect on the senior generals (probably out of proportion to the success actually achieved) - many of whom, as we know, did not share the ideas of Guderian or Rommel. Protection of the flanks became a big concern - and that meant halting the panzers. Another thing that the book Blitzkrieg brings to the fore is the in-fighting amongst the German top brass during the campaign. This was not one smooth, seamless operation by a united general staff.....

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

By the way, I just bought it; my 1st impression is that it is OK, in a realism scale, with WITPAE at 10, Panzer General at 1 : I would put it around 4; good for casual play, for those interested in the early Blitz era. The game is non-WEGO turn based at the brigade-division level
warspite1

I've fired her up and am dong an AAR to learn the game if you are interested [:)]

tm.asp?m=4321521&mpage=1&key=&#4321637

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

few French armored divisions

Just recently formed and not quite 'there yet'.
Gamelin was fighting WWII at WWI pace.

Pretty much sums it up.
I've fired her up and am dong an AAR to learn the game if you are interested

Thank you. I will have to divert some time and energy to check this out.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I have played (and won) three times the Netherlands scenario, which is supposed to be the easiest. I will keep playing it until I fully understand the game mechanics (not too complex by the way). I will certainly look for your AAR.

And I think the concern about the flanks was very valid; after all Germany lost WWI at the Marne, precisely due to overextended German armies, you know, "Le Miracle de la Marne"

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”