Article on Tigers Unleashed

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Mobeer

RE: Article on Tigers Unleashed

Post by Mobeer »

The HPS product pages look like something from the 90s, maybe one of those orphan sites that has outlived its owners. Point of Attack 2 needs a CD-ROM drive "for installation and gameplay" and is available to buy as a download without CD?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

After several months with a Tigers beta, I can say the product runs pretty much as designed. This is with a i7 3.6Ghz, 16 ram and GTX 745 - far from top of the line. The playbacks move very fast, and no crashes.

Unfortunately, the recently released PoA beta is in no where near as good a shape, in my brief playing of it. Crashes and an OOB I find sorely lacking after all this time. I can't even put a Javelin team together and add them to a platoon. Very limited weapons systems compared to Tigers.

So Tigers is the one I'd consider of the two.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Well, took the plunge after seeing a patch was out (May 2017) and bought Point of Attack 2...

Uploading a video now, so hope that helps in some way.

Must say there´s ALOT put into it! So far I like it but just got it yesterday so...

Never played TU but I do think that turns are slow to calculate with PoA2. Iam on a i5 with 4 cores, so what setting do you all have (how many cores) in the prefs?

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I've been playing the TU beta on and off for several months and it seems to be in working condition. Combat resolution is quite fast on a vanilla i7, and I can't recall one crash, which is amazing.

However, based on my experience alone, the latest POA2 patch has not eliminated crashes, so that game is not ready to be purchased, imo. And yes, that is the game I am mostly interested in as well. Also, I found the OOB in POA2 to be pretty pathetic compared to the huge OOB of TU, which you can also create new unit organizations.

rico21

Post by rico21 »

The positive point of this game is that Mike seems to enjoy it.[&o]
Has a publisher?
Can I spend a thousand hours on it without getting tired?
Is it tactical, sub-tactical, or big/great tactical?
What is sure is that a demo could convince me to buy this expensive game and do not tell me please that it is because it is the work of a few.
Because I would say that profit is bigger!
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Thanks Rosseau for your info!

On my end all I have had happen, is a couple of "Exceptions" pop-up on me on my first two gameplays. I did mess with it alot yesterday and even made a video (see below) and no exceptions or crashes at all, so happy with that so far. I did mail Scott to let him know about the exceptions and ask a couple of things too.

So far Iam very impressed with it over all! Had alot of fun last night with a level 5 mission and can even live with the combat report phase being a bit slow, I even like that as it gives you time to think and read what is going on [;)]

My only grip is that it´s a bit weak with mission content, only 12. I think more missions would be good, if you take into account that TU has alot more!

As stated befor, I uploaded a video yesterday and hope that gives people a taste of what this is all about. I remember some time ago when I first found out about this game, that I wished there were videos out to show what it was all about, so yeah I hope it helps. The Idea is to put out more videos with some hands on training...

Point of Attack 2

It reminds if of the real boardgames were you have to go through all those tables and calculate this and that! Real nice!

Care,

Red

--
wodin

Post by wodin »

I'm afraid as most testing is using TU exe then if there is a prob then it will more than likely show in POA2.5...so please email Scott asap if you find somethin.

I've added hundreds more unti symobols, new sounds (WIP) and will be adding and redoing the terrain symbol set over the next few weeks.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I'm afraid as most testing is using TU exe then if there is a prob then it will more than likely show in POA2.5...so please email Scott asap if you find somethin.

I've added hundreds more unti symobols, new sounds (WIP) and will be adding and redoing the terrain symbol set over the next few weeks.

Thank you Wodin!

Will do that, Iam using the mail that he gave on your article (TU) on AWNT. Sent him a mail with video too. Is there a mailing list or something where one can keep track of what´s new?

Also, can you please tell me how to get back that little window that pops up when you select a unit? I closed it and now don´t know how to see that again.

Again, thanks Wodin and keep up the good work! If I can be of any help just send me a msg. and will be glad to do so...

Care,

Red
wodin

Post by wodin »

red2112 we always can do with help

As for being updated well I can tell you that I'd say 75%+ code has been rewritten. So much is and has been done (though many wont believe work has never stopped) to be brutally frank we don't have the time for regular updates. However extra hands would change this I'm sure:)

A minor change in code can be a huge undertaking..example..I once asked Scott if a particular area of spotting could be modiefied...the answer was it wasn't a case of doing a negative number here or there because sighting is based on photons blah blah blah..that's how complex it is.

email me j__rimmer@hotmail.com
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

As usual, the attraction for me with TU is the editor. Just start a new scenario at "expert" level and you can change everything or zip through the screens if you like. Without the ability to build new scenarios, I would be very disappointed. So for me it is like a test tube game for WW2.

I know Rico has always wanted to change the atmospheric humidity and wind speed and direction in his games, and with TU you can change lots. These conditions of course affect the way the bullets fly. Seriously.

But personally, I think Rico will continue to be most super-productive with Tigers on the Hunt [;)]

wodin

Post by wodin »

Yes I agree sadly the included scenarios don't I'm afraid show the games potential off..we hope to remedy that..I do anyway. I wasn't involved in the game pre release otherwise things may have been abit different. Scott at the time just didn't have enough help sadly. Apparently he said the first 3 months of feedback from me was more than he had got in the last god knows how many years.
ORIGINAL: rosseau

As usual, the attraction for me with TU is the editor. Just start a new scenario at "expert" level and you can change everything or zip through the screens if you like. Without the ability to build new scenarios, I would be very disappointed. So for me it is like a test tube game for WW2.

I know Rico has always wanted to change the atmospheric humidity and wind speed and direction in his games, and with TU you can change lots. These conditions of course affect the way the bullets fly. Seriously.

But personally, I think Rico will continue to be most super-productive with Tigers on the Hunt [;)]

Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

red2112 we always can do with help

As for being updated well I can tell you that I'd say 75%+ code has been rewritten. So much is and has been done (though many wont believe work has never stopped) to be brutally frank we don't have the time for regular updates. However extra hands would change this I'm sure:)

A minor change in code can be a huge undertaking..example..I once asked Scott if a particular area of spotting could be modiefied...the answer was it wasn't a case of doing a negative number here or there because sighting is based on photons blah blah blah..that's how complex it is.

email me j__rimmer@hotmail.com

Thanks Wodin for the info!

email sent...

Care,

Red
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Thank you all, so if I understood you TU is a simulation game like Combat Mission under the guise of an old wargame. You start to interest me...
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Still getting "External Exception" error along with two more errors, seems to be on maps with bigger unit count. Sent some mails to Scott, but seems to be MIA! Same goes for HPS support and other here!

I don´t get why people don´t even bother to anwser there mails! I could understand that from a 15 year old, but mature people? The reality check is that it all seems good and accounted for in public, but it´s not! Iam quite shattered to be honest, beacuse this was my birthday present from my wify!

wodin

Post by wodin »

REd112..he will get to you..message me your email and I'll get hold of him for you:) Don't worry you aren't being ignored...
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

REd112..he will get to you..message me your email and I'll get hold of him for you:) Don't worry you aren't being ignored...

RGR, done...

Thank you Wodin! [;)]
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I just finished the article, keep up the good work. I wish I knew how to do this stuff, because I would help.

Nice
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Iam in touch with Scott, thank you all!

BTW I bought TU too [;)]
wodin

Post by wodin »

Playing any game in the TSS series entails having to learn a whole different way of playing a wargame you've experienced upto now..and it takes some getting used too..and some never really get it sadly. Esp on the higher difficulty and FOW settings (which really is how it should be played). ALso DON'T play using composites..BUT DO use Maneuverer groups. The MGroup section in the manual is a must read early on.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

For my birthday, I buy a game that is out of the ordinary, kind of bugged or who does not want to get started at startup (forums are funnier), this year I hesitate between Tigers unleashed (a new game system) , and Close Combat Wacht am Rhein (the biggest battle of the Second World War) that only works in window mode under windows 10.
Yin and Yang.[&:]

Return to “General Discussion”