Soviet combat bonus

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

tomeck48

Soviet combat bonus

Post by tomeck48 »

Once again, the newbie is back with a question. I've seen comments about the Soviet Combat Bonus but there is nothing in the rule book about and I can't find exactly what it is. I know it's +1 on either attack or defense, but +1 what? It seems like the rule only applies in the first Blizzard, is that right? I'm currently playing my first Soviet game without it. Bad idea?
morvael

RE: Soviet combat bonus

Post by morvael »

This rule applies from the early days of June 1941 and ends after the winter of 41/42 (if I'm not mistaken). It upgrades your final odds in your favour, if it would make a difference (so 1.5:1 becomes 2.5:1 with +1 to attack and allows you to take a hex; while with +1 to defense enemy 2.5:1 will become 1.5:1 and you will hold your hex). I think it's good to have this rule on when playing Soviets. +1 to defense is easier to use, while +1 to attack is supposed to promote aggressive Soviet behaviour rather than cowering and/or covering behind fortifications and is the "default" rule (i.e. it was always on before it was made optional).
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

+1 in defense also last after winter?
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: gmtello

+1 in defense also last after winter?

I think it is as morvael said, both bonuses go after the first winter ends (march 42). The +1 bonus to defence aids a lot to th soviet player, more than the atttack bonus, until first winter comes. Then the attack bonus is better. However, by then the dice are already cast most times, so I would take the defence bonus pver the attack one with no doubt.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

When the +1 soviet attack bonus is used to succeed during a soviet attack, soviet troops receive also extra damage.

No idea for the defense bonus.
I think the defense bonus is hardly ever use at least in multiplayer game, it probably change the game a lot.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I think it is meant to reflect Soviet military doctrine at the time which meant pressing on with the attack in spite of losses. Basically the Soviets gain more ground and get more losses compared to most other nations here that will not press home an attack and if it means avoiding large losses.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

As usual, thanks for the quick replies. [:)] I like the idea of +1 attack for the Soviet. It would probably have less effect on the game than the +1 defense and seems to me that it would adequately model many of the Soviet attacks prior to the Blizzard.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

with the increase in losses Mor has slowly built in the system the +1 Soviet attack doesnt seem to bad...because yes you might get some early wins for guards but you sure do pay for it body count....commonly lose about 2k men per attack now even with a win on the soviet side in early war.
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Does anyone know for sure when the Bonus comes to an end ?
End of '41 ?
T37 when the Blizzard ends on fixed weather ?
T41 which is the last Snow turn on fixed weather ?
Is it different on variable weather ?
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

The bonus (at least, the +1 attack bonus) stopped as soon as you enter March 1942.

No differences whatever the weather option.

Brakes are for cowards !!

Return to “The War Room”