Question: American friends.. Oshkosh WI Air Show?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Macclan5

Question: American friends.. Oshkosh WI Air Show?

Post by Macclan5 »

Hey mates.

Just back from a couple weeks vacation but I have some more time due.

--

Just heard of - for the first time - the Oshkosh Wisconsin Air Show.

Does anyone here know of it - details - cost ? Worthy of a drive ? Perhaps a "linky interweb thingy" ?

(Toronto - by way of Upper Michigan / Green Bay say 12 hours)

I understand they have a tribute to the Doolittle Raid 75 years latter.

I heard of this second hand ; a friend noted that the Warplane museum in Hamilton Ontario is sending a Mitchel and Lancaster (!?)

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Mundy

RE: Question: American friends.. Oshkosh WI Air Show?

Post by Mundy »

I live about 15 minutes north of there. I plan to hit it tomorrow.

I used to go regularly, twice a year, but have burned out a bit since then.

One regular visitor is a nice P-40C, which looks nice.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Heard of it. Have a friend who flies there occasionally, and have been invited, but never could coordinate plans. BTW he has a homemade experimental aircraft. The experimental part is just a formality for the FAA here as otherwise he'd have to go through all kinds of testing to get it flight approved.

Don't know of any other details, other than I would go, but that's me. YMMV.[:)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... -of-events

16+ B-25's are flying in this year, they are going to reenact the Doolittle raid on Wed. 7/26/17
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Been to it & worth the trip - may have to stay as far away as Green Bay to find hotel if looking this late. Many warbirds, air races, shows & some air rides you can take plus the experimentals to look at. Lots of vendors for aviation related items both as common visitors as well as looking for parts to use on a/c. Manufacturers also make appearances to ply their wares. I think Doc the new flying B29 might be there this year or trying to make it.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Thanks all...

I guess I heard about this too late. [:o]

Drat.. I missed the part I would have been most eager to see - the Doolittle tribute.

However sounds like next summer's plans should take into account this schedule.

--

Re : Hotel in Green Bay.

Oshkosh is fairly small as I recall (went to the children's cloths outlet many years ago)...

Booking a room / staying - Wisconsin Dells is only an hour away ?? 10 Years ago the Dells was a great (if somewhat Commercialized) family type area. Still pretty much the same ?? Is it an hour ??

Might be able to convince family its a return to the Dells...[8D]
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

If you want to stay in the Dells area, read up on the guest comments for hotels. A close family I know here (they adopted me as grandpa) was planning a trip to the Dells and saw so many warnings about lice and bedbugs that they decided to vacation elsewhere.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
AndyDuke

Post by AndyDuke »

I've been over twice in the past - no one mentioned that it's the BIGGEST aviation event in the world, regularly hosting 10,000+ aircraft of all shapes and sizes and it has it's own float plane base. There is no way a person can see everything in a week, it's just too big.

I camped on site both times with some American friends and had a great time. Be prepared to end each day exhausted though, the walk up and down the flight line is 3 miles with aircraft stacked 8 deep.

Anyone remotely interested in aviation MUST visit at least once in their lives [:D]
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Put a day in. My Fitbit registered 12 miles worth of walking. My broken blisters behind my heels are bleeding.

BTW, the Dells is probably 1.5 miles from Oshkosh.

First thing I saw... a B-1B from Dyess AFB.

The new B-29 which ain't "Fifi"

Ye Olde Ford Trimotor.

AFB favorite, the FM-2

B-25s. I counted a dozen there.

Stangs.

Our good friend, the A-20G

Can we get one of these in WITP?

reg113

Post by reg113 »

Nice! Thanks for posting.
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

If you want to get a hotel near to Oshkosh, you need to book a yr in advance as that's what people do when they leave & are planning on coming back. I booked 6mos & got into Green Bay as the closest w/o going into $$$$

If you go on YouTube & search for Oshkosh approach, you get several videos of people flying in to Oshkosh. I'm as of yet had the fortitude to fly in myself
Taxcutter

Post by Taxcutter »

If you have any interest in aviation, Oshkosh has got to be on your bucket list.

Actually flying in is the best way to deal with limited accommodations.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

If you fly in, you can pitch a tent by your plane.
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

Thanks for sharing the pics Mundy!

The B-1B pic brings back memories when I worked for the B-1B System Project Office (SPO)for a couple of years at WPAFB. Always pulling parts from the canned birds to keep them in the air. I think we were in Area C.

Anyway, one came to the Dayton International Air Show one year while I worked there and, of course, we were given passes to enter the aircraft. Very cramped compared to B-17. I got a pic taken sitting in the pilots seat I'll have to dig up.

Love the other pics too - thanks!

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”