Semi OT: The Lady B Good

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

Semi OT: The Lady B Good

Post by Canoerebel »

Okay, gentlemen (and lady, if Graffin is hangin' around): how many of you have heard of the B-24 Liberator "Lady B Good"?

Don't look it up (at least not yet). I just wanna see how many of you know the basic story of the plane. The forum is an amazing place, so perhaps all you guys know.

I stumbled across her story last night. Quite a story. Very sad.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
wdolson

RE: Semi OT: The Lady B Good

Post by wdolson »

There was a documentary about the plane about 10 years ago. I don't recall where I saw it.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Barb

Post by Barb »

Ive heard/read of it several times - I also seem to have seen the documentary.
Reg

Post by Reg »

That name certainly rings a bell.

A bit out of scope for this forum though so I'll leave it up for others to post.

The movie they made based on this incident was touching as well. (OT: There is a Star Trek link with this film).

This happened more often than people realise. Do a google search on "Flight Sergeant Dennis Copping".

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Ha, I actually learnt about the whole story like four or five months ago. Scary stuff.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Yes, I have known about it for some time. Not sure when I first ran across it as a kid. Very sad event.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I remember seeing one of the props when I was TDY at Wheelus AB, Libya.

And yes, I do know the story.
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

In WW2 good navigator = best friend.
reg113

Post by reg113 »

I think I saw the story on The Military Channel about ten years ago when it was still a semi-good channel.
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
Ol_Dog

Post by Ol_Dog »

Know the story well, have a book on it
Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Know the story & read about it - it'd make a good movie as long as they tried to keep it historical. There were some parts of the plane that were recovered & used in some flying Libs & a couple have crashed ie urban legend/ghost story.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I saw it is the Military channel years ago, as already mentioned.

For my understanding of it, the navigators' lack of skill doomed the crew. Shouldn't dead reckoning tell you that after x number of hours at y speed, on z heading, you should be far away from water?
Not to mention he was supposed to know how to do celestial navigation and getting latitude should be relatively easy

Also, Copping's case is a bit different, in the sense that WW2 fighter planes are a lot less capable in terms of navigation.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I stumbled across the Lady B Good story two nights ago, when I found an old movie Soul Survivor on YouTube. Made for TV in the '70s movies are mostly horrible, so I clicked on the movie expecting to click off after a couple of minutes. But the movie was pretty darned good and has a good cast. I found the movie eerie, like a Twilight Zone episode, and later learned that there was a similar Twilight Zone episode. After watching the movie, I did a bit of research and found that it was based on the story of the Lady B Good, which I then read about on Wikipedia.

YouTube link to Soul Survivor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqxZoVLn6Tg&t=645s

If you watch the movie, let us know what you think of it. And read the Wiki on Lady B Good.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

A little correction CR - that should be Sole Survivor.
Soul Survivor would be about James Brown or his ilk! [:'(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Or Jim and Tammy Faye Baker.

Sorry for the mistake. I make so many of these that there's no way I could ever get puffed up about my abilities as an editor and as a writer.
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

I've known this story for about 40 years. Very sad. When I was just a kid, I read this story in a hard-back book titled "Liberators At War" or something like that. It wasn't a SQUADRON book as those really weren't around - or not at all at that time. It was about just over an inch thick book with lots of individual plane pictures focusing around the nose art. All B&W. None censored - some explicit. I remember one picture of a Lib named "Cherokee" or something like that. Nose art was of a female in a headdress with, um.... big guns.[;)]

I tried looking for it just now, but not sure where I put it. It was a history of stories during WWII focusing on the famous exploits of the Liberator and its crews in both ETO and PTO if my memory serves me right.

I remember, that as a kid, this was one of the first of many stories to come that started bringing to light (in my mind) the true harsh unfair realities of war. That story has stuck with me ever since. Very sad.

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”