GD1938 v3

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

RE: GD1938 v3

Post by ernieschwitz »

Sad to hear that Larry. We are getting closer to Beta by the day. So waiting will end at some point, I guarantee it :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

what is the half moon on the side of the counter for?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

It is to distinguish day and night fighters from each other. Same goes for Night Bombers and Day Bombers as well as Heavy Night Bombers and Heavy Day Bombers. :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I think it's time for another update. Most of the work at the moment is done by Bombur. He is working on making new planes at the moment, but more about that later. :) Time for one of my contributions.

I heard a lot of players complain that it was not possible to go from alliance to peace, without going to war, and then going to peace. Very messy, if you just want a clean cut, break of relationships. The reason for this is probably that no-one figured out a way to make the units in enemy lands get back to their "homeland", without this being something that was exploitable. I think I found a way.

Basically troops are removed from the enemy lands, and stacked somewhere else on the map (in 4 hexes in this case, but more could be made). Then they are distributed to the homelands cities. The process is then repeated for the player that played the card, and his troops are also run through this process. Oh, and of course, to prevent exploits, the troops get 0 readiness, when being replaced like this.

All of this is done by clicking on a card, which allows you to select the nation you wish to break an alliance with. Of course nobody likes someone that cannot keep word, but that is a game matter...

Here is the card. (I wrote code intensive, cause I haven't tested this with more than 17 units, it might take longer if you have many more. I think that the process can work for 100-120 units. Hopefully nobody has more in allied lands.)

Attachments
BreakAlliance.jpg
BreakAlliance.jpg (47.69 KiB) Viewed 102 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Thank you never understood why this was not in the vanilla version of ATG.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Amen.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yes, I knew the two of you would appreciate it :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I also like it...I thought about breaking an alliance in an OLD game (now ended) but did not want to go to war with the old ally just separate from him so I would not be pulled into a war if someone attacked him.
Vic

Post by Vic »

It looks very impressive and at a super detailed scale!
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Thank you Vic, that means alot to me :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Time for another update. This one showing that I am not the only one doing all the work. Bombur is pulling his share too. Below are the new subformation types, that represent the fighter Is in the game. Not just one subformation but 7!...

This treatment is so far only been done to the aircrafts (fighters) but will be done to most everything in the game. Currently we have some 450 different types of formations a unit can be composed of. That is quite alot.

The picture text was alas not the best after editing, so for those who have trouble making it out they are from left to right:

P-26 (US)
I-15 (USSR)
D-510 (France)
Ki-10 (Japan)
Gladiator (Britain)
Fiat CR-32 (Italy)

And finally the Generic Fighter 1 represented by the Polish PZL.P11.

Attachments
Fighter1sBW.jpg
Fighter1sBW.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 102 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Very, very nice. Your attention to detail, such as shown above, makes all the difference in immersion and "flavor." Very well done!
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

So, what have we been working on recently. Well Bombur has been working on Subformation types. That is the units that the counters are made up of. We are also experimenting a bit with different values in combat than in GD 1938 v2. The reason of course being that distances are smaller, so there must be more room for maneuvers, and thus the surrounding of units, in quick blitz.

... But that is not what this update is about.

Instead I am going to reveal to you that I am almost done with putting in leaders in GD 1938 v3. I decided early on that I wanted there to be at least one leader pr. frontline HQ, for each nation, plus 1 or 2 at the start of the game. To give some scale to this, the country with the least HQs like this to start out with has 5, the one with the most has 21.

Also it would be desirable to get a few new leaders every year. I chose to make that number be somewhere proportional to the countries inhabitants, as well as to how many HQs they start out with. If I had stuck only to inhabitants, then China would have way too many leaders. On the other hand if I chose only to look at the number of HQs at start, a nation like USA would have very very few leaders along the line. In the end a compromise seemed most fair.

So I ended up making some 280 leaders. Took some time, as you could imagine. Originally I did not think that leaders would make it into the scenario, until some time after Beta. But they have.

Attachments
Leaders.jpg
Leaders.jpg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 102 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I realize that most of you probably don't exactly know how leaders function, so I thought I'd give a small crash course.

Below you will see too similar leaders, both from the Wehrmacht, so they are Germans. Both are in command of a 40 staff HQ. Good old Otto Grün, that some may remember from GD 1938 v2, has a staff rating of 25. So has the more well known Feodor von Bock. What does that mean?

It means that they will give full bonuses to HQs the size of 25 Staff and below. The bonuses they give are equal to the numbers under their Staff value. So Grün would give a +23% combat bonus to the units under his command, while von Bock would give even more, that is +34%. Also each gives a Morale bonus, also shown below the combat rating.

So basically you might say that von Bock is a superior general to Grün. Not so fast, both have cards, that can be played, and that may also influence your choice of commander, for your HQs. Also there is this, a small surprise addition that I have been planning: Officers can now level up, and become better. A level 2 Otto Grün might well be better than a level 1 Feodor von Bock.

What happens if the Staff they are commanding is above the value of their capacity (STAFF Stat). In that case only staff members below that number get the bonus. The ones above get no extra bonus.

So how do we compare an officer with say Staff 40 and 10% combat bonus, to a staff 20 with 20% bonus. Well one way of looking at it is to multiply the two numbers together, to see what is higher. That is if they are both manning a HQ that is as high as they can command. In the above case, 20x20 is the same as 40x10. So, if the staff they are commanding in the HQ is below 40, the best bet is to use the one with 20% bonus.

That, was a short tutorial.

Of course things may not always be as clear cut as in this case. ...
Attachments
Leadercomp.jpg
Leadercomp.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 102 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I managed to finish all code for officers since last time. Officers can now die and get wounded. If they do get wounded you will have to find another commander for that HQ, but at least they will come back, after some time.

Another thing that is now in GD 1938 v3 is a the ability to build complexes. Before these were known as factories, well, somehow that did not encapsulate what they exactly were, that is: A collection of more than one factory. Also with the new name comes other stuff, and new graphics.

Below you see a city that produces only supply (Milan), Southwest of Venice is a Supply complex, and just north of Genoa is an Industrial Complex. The difference between a city that produces supply and a complex that does so, is that the complexes are not urban landscapes. That would make combat there the same as if it were on plains, in this case.

The Industrial complex, is a new kind of "factory", in that it can produce planes, vehicles as well as guns. In other words, most everything a city could, just not supplies, ships, PPs and the like. Of course not shown is also the good old shipyards...

Attachments
complexes.jpg
complexes.jpg (328.93 KiB) Viewed 102 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well, it's raining it's pouring... the old man is snoring...

That's right, we got rain, snow and clear weather working in GD 1938 v3. It looks good, I think.

One thing of note is that we've gone from an internal hex, to an external one. What does that mean? It means that the plains no longer overlap the other terrain, and the other terrain overlaps it. The reason being that it was simply easier to see what kind of terrain was which. Hopefully it doesn't detract too much from the overall look of things ...

Here is a screenshot of India / Indochina and parts of China, showing all three kinds of weather. Also note that the color of mountains has changed. They seemed more in line with what we are trying to produce than what we had before.

Attachments
IndiaIndo..weather.jpg
IndiaIndo..weather.jpg (385.38 KiB) Viewed 102 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Oh, and good news, btw, something that might interest you all.

We are still in Alpha (the version where only internal playtesting is done), but pretty sure (i think) we will be in Beta (the version where some people will get to playtest). After that, we will move onto an Open Beta, which in practice means, yes, there will be some bugs and glitches, but the game is open for all.

At the moment I lack doing a few action cards, and I expect Bombur lacks quite a few SFTs, but, he has been pressing for a playtest, so I think that we can make one, before he finishes.

So, there you have it. Or rather, soon you will have it :)

• Advanced Tactics Gold
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

We already have 510 SFT´s (some of them are only graphics). I´m almost done with AFV´s.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

this is really looking good. Cannot wait to play
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I apologize for the long wait, without any word from me. I have been taking a small break (2½ months) from coding and adding stuff. However Bombur has used this time to customize almost every SFT there is. I have resumed some of my work, but due to real world commitments, things will take a little more time than I had hoped.

Currently Bombur is working on more costumization, while I am figuring out 3-4 events that may or may not be added before a testrun, and typing some 280 bios for the officers that get to be available during the game.

Wishing you all could see the great results we've pulled together, but, I want the game to be near perfect when launched, cause if not, people are going to have invested alot of time in taking turns, just to have to redo them again = bad for everyone.

Some shouts of encouragement would be nice, but are not required :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”