ASW search

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

sven6345789

ASW search

Post by sven6345789 »

Trying to learn the mechanics of the game. This is what I think is correct.

1. ASW helicopters
With dipped array if on manual you must activate the dipped array at different points of the search area. Helicopter will stop and lower the array.
Question: do you use both active and passive sonar?

2. Patrol airplanes
Drop passive sonar buoys at intervals to get a coverage, use active buoys to check out a contact. Can they detect anything without buoys? Probably just surface ships, or?

3 submarines
Slow speed just above the layer so that the towed array is below ( it is deployed automatically, or?)

4. Surface ships
No idea. Do they use their towed array automatically? Or do you need to activate the sona? Does it make sense to use activated sonar the whole time?
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
somi83

RE: ASW search

Post by somi83 »

Hi,
1. I use passive until I detect something, the active to pinpoint location.

2. Planes and helos have other sensor called MAD (magnetic anomaly detector), it can detect subs, but it need's to fly low. Most of the maritime patrol aircraft have surface radars, so yes they can detect ships, maybe even a periscope.

3. Towed array is deployed automatically in both submarines and ships.

4. Using active sonar is good but marks your position to enemy, it is good for pinpointing contact's exact location, like active sonobuoy, with active you announce your presence to the enemy. BTW most subs will detect you surface ships before they have a contact on the sub. So you can use it at your preference, try it out, and make your strategy accordingly.
Rory Noonan

RE: ASW search

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: sven6345789

Trying to learn the mechanics of the game. This is what I think is correct.

1. ASW helicopters
With dipped array if on manual you must activate the dipped array at different points of the search area. Helicopter will stop and lower the array.
Question: do you use both active and passive sonar?

Best answer depends on the capabilities of the individual helo and sonar set. Some older ones are active only, some newer ones actually have fairly decent passive sonar as well as active. Check the DB
2. Patrol airplanes
Drop passive sonar buoys at intervals to get a coverage, use active buoys to check out a contact. Can they detect anything without buoys? Probably just surface ships, or?

That's about right. I've found that manually dropping the sonobouys in a geometric pattern or linear barrier is most effective, alternating deep and shallow at a distance equal to their effective radius.

Lots of MPAs have other sensors; MAD is *really* useful for dialling in a contact and you might also get luckily and randomly stumble over a sub with it too. More modern MPAs have FLIR type sensors that can see diesel boats snorkeling too. Radar may also pick up a snorkelling sub, but will more likely just alert them to the fact that there's an MPA in the area.
3 submarines
Slow speed just above the layer so that the towed array is below ( it is deployed automatically, or?)

In deep water, hunting subs, this is a good tactic. If you know there is a sub nearby and you're trying to establish contact, I have had good results from manually setting speed to 1-2kts.

Going after surface ships you will be better off in the surface duct, between periscope depth and ~-133ft/-40m

Stay away from active unless you really need it to firm up a contact for a firing solution in an emergency. It is detectable from roughly 150% of it's effective range.
4. Surface ships
No idea. Do they use their towed array automatically? Or do you need to activate the sona? Does it make sense to use activated sonar the whole time?

Surface ships with a towed array deploy it automatically, and it is primarily below the layer. For this reason, if you are a sub you are actually better off above the layer if trying to close with a surface unit with a towed array.

There was a great set of data here: tm.asp?m=3972344 however the links to the images are now expired. Maybe you could PM AndrewJ and see if he could re-post them?

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”