Is Game an Orphan?

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

nicwb

RE: Is Game an Orphan?

Post by nicwb »

Good to hear Gil - this is a good game and I'm glad to hear there will be some follow up.

Too bad about smaller battles - perhaps the answer to provide for user mods ?
DesertFox67

Post by DesertFox67 »

Ive been sitting back and watching what people are saying. If there was an easier scenerio creator like Tigers On The Hunt. I think interest would go up even further, I honestly dont know what goes into making mods for this game except I have done some reading and this particular game is a heavy learning curve.lol. I think this is by far THE BEST civil war game on the market period and would be grateful to see it grow.I will purchase anything put out for this historic treasure.
Are we Having fun yet??
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

ORIGINAL: DesertFox67

Ive been sitting back and watching what people are saying. If there was an easier scenerio creator like Tigers On The Hunt. I think interest would go up even further, I honestly dont know what goes into making mods for this game except I have done some reading and this particular game is a heavy learning curve.lol. I think this is by far THE BEST civil war game on the market period and would be grateful to see it grow.I will purchase anything put out for this historic treasure.

The current state of the game allows you to write new scenarios as long as you use one of the published maps. You can't change the map which pretty much limits you to scenarios for First Bull Run but there are plenty of those.
Kennon
michaelspotts

Post by michaelspotts »

Gil and Eric,

I am sorry things did not work out on your side. I have all your games, enjoy them a great deal and appreciated your support when you were active. May you both - and both of your families - be blessed richly for all the rich enjoyment your craftwork still provides.
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

If the BaB developers are putting some time into the game, so will I. See what interest we can stir up.
Hopefully there will at least be a third game and it will be Gettysburg.

Gettysburg is a battle that would really benefit by the game system in BaB.
Kennon
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

Well if you wanted in its $29 until the 23rd of July. Hopefully some new players will emerge
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

$24.99 actually.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: Delaware

Well if you wanted in its $29 until the 23rd of July. Hopefully some new players will emerge

Looking at gameplay´s on YT now , will decide before sale ends![:)]

Glad to see/read the dev´s are still passionate about the game and are up to something new, keep the fire burning!

Thanks for the heads-up!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Everyone who paid $50, including me, got shafted. Completely abandoned. Hard to mod, hard to see units, just don't want to play it, period. In 18 years here, I have never seen a game at that price point go so neglected. In fact, I really need to just "get over it."

However, for someone without a bad taste in his/her mouth, I would consider it for $25. Maybe the devs will make some money and support it. Actually, Slitherine is responsible and should dig into its war chest and support it for free.

As far as the "devs still being passionate about the game," that is total lip service and makes me laugh. It amazes me the same company brought us Conflict of Heroes. Go buy that game instead.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Everyone who paid $50, including me, got shafted. Completely abandoned. Hard to mod, hard to see units, just don't want to play it, period. In 18 years here, I have never seen a game at that price point go so neglected. In fact, I really need to just "get over it."

However, for someone without a bad taste in his/her mouth, I would consider it for $25. Maybe the devs will make some money and support it. Actually, Slitherine is responsible and should dig into its war chest and support it for free.

As far as the "devs still being passionate about the game," that is total lip service and makes me laugh. It amazes me the same company brought us Conflict of Heroes. Go buy that game instead.

Thanks for your thoughts Rosseau...

Still havent pulled the trigger, just thinking about it.

I already have Conflict of Heroes btw [;)]
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

ORIGINAL: Red2112
I already have Conflict of Heroes btw [;)]

The problem is Conflict of Heroes files are in .XNA format so there are NO mods for it. No modded sounds, graphics, or 3D models.

I dont own BaB because COH left such a bad taste in my mouth.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

BAB is a complete and stable game. While we were all hoping the series would continue much sooner and still expect that it will eventually, the original stands well on its own.

Not all games are super-moddable or have to be. Not all development teams can continue development past bug-fixing to adding features to a game years after release (though some do and most try do do). Neither of these should really be an expectation, but rather a bonus when they do happen.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I for one have no interest in if a game is moddable or not. Might have 15 years from now and only to update to future demands, but in general don´t need a game to have this option.

I respect everyone´s opnion, always as long as they are respectful. Not one opinion is the holy grail of all opinions, as they say "different strokes for different folks", and one is more then a half a century old to be hable to make/judge his own decision.

With that said and all respect, I will make up my mind before sale ends. Thank you!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

always sound advice, as it's your money in the end, and nobody knows you better than yourself [;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I've been watching this game since it came out. Still not sure whether to buy it even on sale. I bought Forge of Freedom and did not play it much.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I've been watching this game since it came out. Still not sure whether to buy it even on sale. I bought Forge of Freedom and did not play it much.

Forge was the whole war and very time consuming to play. This of course is just the battle with a unique system. Not beer and pretzels however, it isn't for everyone but it is for those who want a challenge and difficult game to control the fortunes of civil war era battles.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Thanks Yogi. Does this game have tooltips that pop up? The interface looks like FoF a lot. Too much for my liking, unless it works better.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

best advice is to watch a few things about it and make your own mind up, never had FOF myself so can't compare it either

tm.asp?m=3844058
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Thanks Yogi. Does this game have tooltips that pop up? The interface looks like FoF a lot. Too much for my liking, unless it works better.

No Tooltips.

The FOF Battle system could be called the base of the BAB system, but this is much enhanced and expanded.

Beyond Column and Line there is an order system that is used for the Divisions with 7 status such as, March, Advance, Assault, withdraw, hold, rest, rally and they can refuse to go to it. Further they can refuse to move at all.

The Battle is often lost over collapse of morale rather that victory hexes and points, you can seem to be winning when your Army just gives up.

Like the real war units fire at who they want (most often what is in front of them) you don't get o chose who they fire at and unrealistically target enemy units.

The detailed map is also about the best and most accurate battlefield map out there.

Again there is a learning curve and it is not a good game for a casual or new gamer that likes simplicity. Once you get it though it is about the best simulation of civil war battle in a game. If only they would make more Battles as originally planned it would be the best series out there on the topic.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

For $25, probably nice for a semi-grog. I'd buy it for sure.

For $50 they still owe us a few more battles. How hard could that have been just to give us a couple of what-ifs based on the original scenarios? But absolutely no effort was put in from day-one - hence my beef.

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”