Attacks not impacting movement allowance?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Bob12

Attacks not impacting movement allowance?

Post by Bob12 »

I'm having some trouble understanding how enemy attacks impact movement allowance rule is working. For the test I used the "Rommel Attacks" scenario (both sides set to human) with the game patched to 1.01.37.

I performed a deliberate attack on the stack containing the 2/34th US Infantry Division and CCA 1st US Armoured Brigade with the 21st Panzer Division and two regimental detachments of the 10th Panzer Division. The attack was successful and retreated the US stack. Rule 14.1.2.1. says "The loss of MPs is equal to the standard attack cost that a unit would have paid had it made the attack" There would obviously be no modifier as the attack was successful. Based on this I would expect CCA 1st US Armoured Brigade to lose 16MPs, so at the start of the US turn it would have an absolute maximum of 34MPs; however when I ended the turn and checked it had 39MPs.

To me it seems this rule is not being applied correctly, is this working as designed or am I missing something?
Helpless

RE: Attacks not impacting movement allowance?

Post by Helpless »

I think it does, but not in the way it is written in the manual. Attacked unit is considered as moved and will have to pass admin roll to avoid 20% reduction.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
blazingPanzer

Post by blazingPanzer »

Interesting. Was this rule change a result of a patch, or has it been this way since release?
Bob12

Post by Bob12 »

Thanks, that had me confused there for a bit. Was there a specific reason that lead to the change from the rule as written?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I think it was changed at some point, but really long time ago (could be even prior release w/o fixing manual). Need to look at the patch notes.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”