Iain et all.....

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

Iain et all.....

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Watch and revive "War of the Lance" if you can in today's graphics and modern techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0reHLHGyQnM&t=1810s
Red2112

RE: Iain et all.....

Post by Red2112 »

Yeah, I watched them before, thank you!

Aside that I really enjoyed reading the Dragonlance Chronicles among other Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman titles as well as the Dragonlance preludes (Paul B. Thompson - Tonya R. Carter). It all started when I first played "Bauldurs Gate" when it first came out and the whole D&D role playing thingy [:)]

To be honest, I found that Margaret´s narrative style was more fast paced then J.R.R.Tolkien, but that´s my opinion. The Dragonlance saga and the Forgotten Realms really captivated me at the time, great read if you like this genre.

Actually the first full Hobbit movie was a cartoon movie from 1977.

"Fire and Ice" is also cool and has the great Frank Frazetta and Ralph Bakshi tandem behind it (Wizards 1977-Ralph Bakshi). Iam a big fan of Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo´s art work! I wish I could draw like them!

Fire and Ice...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v26rUX16cZM

--

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

What I was really referring to was the wargame made back in the 80's called "War of the Lance". It was made with this saga in mind. One of the best fantasy wargames I ever played and if it got a modern update with that same AI it would be awesome I think.

I do remember the books from the Dragonlance series like Dragons of different seasons and Wanderlust. Great reads like the wargame. Dave Landry and Chuck Koegal I think made the original game and it was made before its time I think.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

If a developer comes to us with a game like that we'd be happy to talk to them! We don't really set the high level design unless its a licensed game or internal development. The developers usually come to us with that already in place.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

What I was really referring to was the wargame made back in the 80's called "War of the Lance". It was made with this saga in mind. One of the best fantasy wargames I ever played and if it got a modern update with that same AI it would be awesome I think. ... Dave Landry and Chuck Koegal I think made the original game and it was made before its time I think.
Yes, War of the Lance was Landrey & Kroegel and was actually an oddball amongst their Civil War line (Battle of Antietam, Gettysburg the Turning Point, Rebel Charge at Chickamagua, Shiloh: Grant's Trail in West), which culminated in a still highly praised "Battles of Napoleon." But then again Sons of Liberty, kind of stuck out too!

I loved the system, but then again I also loved their previous system as shown in Operation Market Garden & Breakthrough in the Ardennes.

I really haven't gotten into their prior almost-hybrid (or "hybrid if you want") system as shown in Road to Gettysburg & Napoleon's Campaigns 1813 & 1815.

And of course, they originally called themselves "Tactical Design Group" and developed still-very early titles like Knights of the Desert and Battle for Normandy and Tigers in the Snow (not to be confused with HPS' Tigers on the Prowl or Matrix's Tigers on the Hunt *grin*).

When they broke up the band, it was a loss for SSI and myself, if not the world! Although Landrey went on to form Novastar and spit out scenario disks for the games (especially, if not exclusively for Battles of Napoleon), and I think Kroegel is still in charge now, over at Lock n Load games.

(note: Edited the >worst< of the typos)
Attachments
Warofthe..BoxBack.jpg
Warofthe..BoxBack.jpg (140.81 KiB) Viewed 102 times
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

All wonderful titles and plays as you know but, War of the Lance was always my favorite and Battles of Napoleon 2nd.

Was just a hope and a thought this game could come back into print in a newer more modern version.

Iain you don't have any contact with Dave or Chuck? Maybe seeing about getting the rights to remake or something?
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

This would be awesome!
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I played and enjoyed the original. I'm sure there is room for a similar modern fantasy wargame. [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I enjoyed playing War of the Lance back in the days of DOS. I would happily play it again if it were updated and ran on modern operating systems.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar
I enjoyed playing War of the Lance back in the days of DOS. I would happily play it again if it were updated and ran on modern operating systems.
It originally came out for the Apple II and the Communist Sexless Fore, I mean C64.

Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

I loved the games back in the day. But taking off the nostalgia glasses I would never play such simplistic games nowadays. Now, the subject matter and style of play remains appealing to me, but going back to PC antiquity doesn't.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: E
How were you able to do that? (it only came out for the Apple II and the Communist Sexless Fore, I mean C64)
Wikipedia says it is for MS-DOS too (though nothing about PC, and MS-DOS was also available for other computers like MSX)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: E
It originally came out for the Apple II and the Communist Sexless Fore, I mean C64.
Wikipedia says it is for MS-DOS too (though nothing about PC, and MS-DOS was also available for other computers like MSX)
Yes, years later (which seems odd... porting a game so late in its sales cycle).

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Simplistic? You obviously never played "War of the Lance" it has one of the best AI's and difficulty levels of all games to date. It's no pushover to beat the Highlord and the game can change from game to game because the diplomacy is soo good. It has one of the best diplomacy features of any game to date. Don't let the graphics fool you this game has a lot of depth.

Return to “General Discussion”