GD1938 player ratings

Post here to meet players for MP games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderator: Vic

ironduke1955

GD1938 player ratings

Post by ironduke1955 »

Just as a guideline for anyone wishing to play GD1938 a basic rating system for players may be a good idea, to let new players know what they are getting into.

Good: LJBurstyn cpdeyoung Bombur Nedfn1 Ironduke RufusTFirefly

Intermediate: ernieschwitz ArmouredLion Lordlau1

Beginner: Twotribes Falco

I would classify myself as good beginner does not mean new to the game just players that have still some way to go before mastering the basic nuts and bolts of ATG and the variations that apply to GD1938.

It may be a idea to limit the games created by the above rating so that Good players only play each other, players may rate themselves but if you put yourself down as good then that is who you will be playing against good players.

I would say intermediate player's could play either above or below and be comfortable in both Good and Beginner games.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

ArmouredLion

RE: GD1938 player ratings

Post by ArmouredLion »

Sadly, then I must say, I am a beginner, but I have had fun playing you, sir.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

And I can say the same, a more even game is the target, if we can get enough players in the respective pools then its doable if there just are not enough players then uneven matches look likely to continue, and as the point of these games is number one for players to enjoy the experience that would be disappointing.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

i don't know what to consider myself...but I guess good would be a starting point. I also like to help inexperienced players who are willing to listen and learn. I find that I learn almost as much as I teach.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

I'm playing a solo game against CPyoung, so he'll be a good determiner of my advancement when we are done... I'm a competitive German, so any lessons are always appreciated-- losing due to ignorance, instead of an opponents quality of play, is like swallowing burning coal to me.
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I just saw someone on Outrageous Acts of Science who eats burning coals....ugh....how does he do that without burning his mouth beyond taste.

Today I am 72 years young...going out to eat so I better get ready to be picked up..

EDIT: I will NOT be eating burning coals but a STEAK.....(I ain't paying for it).
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Happy Birthday Larry

I am not sure I would walk across burning coals let alone eat them. And from what I hear the best tasting steak is the steak you don't pay for.

LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

Walking across burning coals (charcoal) was something you do ONCE in a lifetime if you have the nerve. And once was enough for me...did not burn my feet because I more closely RAN across the coals than walked. But it is off my bucket list...now comes some of my other things...like white water rafting (doing it this trip to see the eclipse)--I am also seeing the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone (I was too young to remember it well the first time). This is my third eclipse (weather permitting) so it is already off my bucket list.

BTW: I agree that free steaks seem to taste better than those you buy. Not bad for someone who wasn't suppose to make it to 55 (lung problems)--had several close calls with pneumonia including at least one trip to intensive care.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Larry, happy birthday -- belated, sorry missed it yest. Glad to hear you are a tough old cookie! More steaks is what this doctor orders... and free if you can- they make the best morale boosters. Pneumonia is brutal. I almost died a few years back from it. Took the shot, as I worked in the medical field at the time, a week later I got it. 6 months of battling it made me want to die for relief. Was told I had lung cancer or the worst case of Pneumonia they'd seen. They didn't know how I wasn't in the hospital and dying... told him it was because I'm German. He was Italian and didn't understand. Anyway, I stay away from all hot coals but the metaphorical as I want to live to be a young 72 myself.
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

When I was 18 I went camping with other cadets in the freshman class at Virginia Tech. I and another guy who said he was "experienced" went rock climbing...to be short he was NOT experienced climber only mountain he had climbed was one you walked up not climbed up. We were about 300 feet up when we ran across shale--he looked down and immediately froze (experienced climbers don't freeze when they look down). He would not move...frozen to the spot...luckily someone saw us up there and after some "discussion" went to help...the rescuers had to break the bones in his hands to get him off the mountain side. I climbed out on my own but they read me the riot act for climbing with in inexperienced climber without the proper climbing gear (I also free climbed). Unfortunately a storm had come in and while we were on the side of the mountain it sleeted...I caught pneumonia. I almost died I was in a iron lung (this was before respirators) for 6 days breathing only with help of the machine. They were giving me doses of penicillin of 500 ML...real big syringe but I did not feel a thing since they just injected it into the liquid food they were putting in my body. Needless to say I was forced to drop out of Virginia Tech.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Now that's an epic tale, sir!!! Mine ended with a choice to take an high risk antibiotic with a side effect of spontaneous exploding tendons... as a power lifter that sucked... my joints only recovered a year or so ago... I'd say 3-4 years to get back up to snuff. You are one tough cookie...
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

Since I thought I was going to die relatively young I took a lot of risks..and I have the injuries to prove it...unfortunately they did not tell me that if I lived longer than expected all the injuries I had would come back to haunt me....in the form of arthritis...now I am paying for it in pain. Even OLD bone bruises hurt...and I got a lot of them in semi-competitive martial arts.

But this is not on subject....anyone else put in a word about how good they are at ATG? At GD1938.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

"good they are at ATG? At GD1938."

Nope not yet there are enough GD1938 to make a ranking system worthwhile. But I get the point that generally players do not like to be categorized as beginners, but those who want a gentler game then a ranking system may work for them. And as I said it prevents mismatches.

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I like to think of myself as a good player, but if I am honest I am probably just intermediate.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Thanks ernieschwitz hopefully all the ATG players will give a rating so we can start some games that will be more fun for all GD1938 players.

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Kinda quit playing GD been playing random games of Bombur

Not sure what I am beginner maybe
Favoritism is alive and well here.
lordlau1

Post by lordlau1 »

Hey guys, I have just been swamped lately...in our dropbox games, I sometimes miss the updates to see my turn, just email me or whatever. Mike and Ernie know how to get ahold of me, I think the rest of you do to.

That being said, I would say I am intermediate with 1938, beginner with vanilla ATG.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

I have the same problem Lao... and I'll do my best for the Empire till you're back in full swing.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Thanks Lordlau1 quite a few players still to post a rating Falco Bombur RufusTFirefly baloo7777 Lion-of-Judah and many more please post a rating, then we can begin more enjoyable games based on rating.

Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Bombur: veteran player, but a mediocre one. Can win with a proper alliance...

Return to “Opponents Wanted”