Rookie AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Leandros

RE: Saving MacArthur - Rookie AAR

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Last time I played Downfall (the 1945-46 scenario) against the AI I used 11th Airborne Div and 503 Paras to capture Tsushima. I know from experience that those coastal guns shred amphibious shipping. Sometimes you have to go Eben Emael.

Cheers,
CC
Thank you, yes, they did - as expected. Actually, the 503rd did participate - with two Marines Para BNs' in reserve. The total amphibious/Airborne effort did it on the second day.

No gliders, though....[;)]...

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep April 15th 1944 – afternoon

Chinese forces have reached, and captured, the Korean town of Rashin, on the Soviet border at the Sea of Japan. With that, all Japanese inland forces north of Korea are cut off from the sea.

Keijo, a large city on the west coast of central Korea, was captured today by a Chinese force that has besieged it for some time. The final attack was supported by the 503rd US Para Regt., flown in from Shimonoseki, and US naval bombardment forces. The enemy is withdrawing south towards Fusan. At the same time a Chinese division, through forced marches, has pushed the enemy defenders on the east coast of Korea, south towards Fusan. Several Chinese divisions which have been held ready for immediate rail transport can now also start their journey south. A strong US amphibious force is assembled in Shimonokesi, in readiness to eventually assist the Chinese in the taking of Fusan. With that done the Korean peninsula should be completely cleaned up.

The enemy’s intermediate attack on Semarang, Java, has been rejected. He is now withdrawing east again, towards Soerebaja. At the same time the attack on Malang, by British and Dutch forces, continue. Malang is bombarded regularly by two British light cruiser forces operating out of Denpasar, Bali. It is expected that the strong allied force advancing along the northern coast of Java shall result in the final ousting of the enemy forces on Java. He shall have to decide whether he chooses to defend Malang or Soerebaja. Fresh allied forces are pouring into Semarang every day.

Tokyo ground-air defences are still holding up quite well. After one day’s loss of 185 US planes during approximately 3.000 sorties it was decided to bomb from higher altitudes. Bomb loads are now released from as high as 25.000 feet. This improved considerably on the loss ratio even if ground damage results deteriorated. But, damaged planes can be repaired, those shot down cannot. The first XX Bomber Command B-29s have now arrived in Utsonomia, Japan. The HQ has been there for a while.

Three battleship bombardment groups, one of them British, are bombarding Tokyo every night. Even then there are but little indications of a degraded Japanese defense of their capital. More US Army units are joining the siege almost every day. US ground attacks on the city, however, have proved quite costly, as have enemy counter-attacks. Until further, mainly artillery shall be used to reduce the enemy defences together with the naval and air bombardments.

Fred
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sometimes you have to go Eben Emael.

Cheers,
CC
Actually I have been there. Have you?

Fred
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep May 15th 1944 – afternoon

All enemy forces on the Korean Peninsula have now been beaten down by Chinese land forces. It was not necessary for US forces to intervene except with the 503rd Para Regt. in Keijo. The cut-off enemy forces in Manchuria are being pressed north along the Soviet border, Harbin shall be reached in a week’s time. Preparations are made to return the main part of the Chinese army forces by rail to China. There are still two enemy resistance pockets in central China. These have been more or less cut off from supplies for many months.

The eastern part of Java, inclusive Soerebaja, has been captured by British, Dutch and Australian land forces supported by naval and air forces operating out of Denpasar, Bali. Preliminary allied moves against the western part of the island have already started.

Tokyo continues to be a serious obstacle. In spite of ever increasing attacks by air, land and sea there are little sign of a weakening defense. Recently increased ground, air and naval attacks have resulted in major losses for the allied side. The enemy’s ground-based air defences are particularly effective.

It has been decided to switch to a siege strategy against Tokyo, in the meantime cleaning up the various resistance pockets on Hokkaido and the outlying islands, among them Formosa, Okinawa and the outlaying islands. Anzac forces have taken the responsibility to clean up the north side of New Guinea and The Solomon Islands.

As soon as Java has been cleansed, British forces shall continue north on both sides of Borneo.

Fred
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

Cheers,
CC

Fred

In a glider?[;)]

Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Cheers,
CC

Fred

In a glider?[;)]

No, I went in the back door....[;)]

Fred

Attachments
Eben-Emael01.jpg
Eben-Emael01.jpg (119.46 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Announcement (as if anybody cares)….[&:]

This is dragging out! My original intention with this game was to test how an aggressive US leadership (as opposed to the RL one) could have assisted the Philippine defense, with the view to hold the islands for the US’ original (latest) purpose, that of using it as a B-17 base (and submarine base) to refuse the Japanese the use of the South China Sea and thereby the prize of their aggression. And, of course, to “Save MacArthur”. I was, however, drawn along and have consequently over-stepped my planned timeline considerably. Now that the main part of Japan is captured, with Tokyo surrounded and China, Burma, Malaya and the Dutch Indies for a large part freed up, it doesn’t seem to be very productive to continue. The main issues, to liberate the Philippines and “Save MacArthur” have been achieved a long time ago.

While I’m at it, I would like to share some of my experiences when playing the game, and how it developed.

The actual scenario started here:

tm.asp?m=3840708&mpage=6&key=#

Firstly, and this I have stated before, I am quite impressed with the game and the way it plays out the Japanese intentions. I have seen some state it is “bad” because if one doesn’t play it the way it is “planned” (by the Japanese), the AI eventually misses out. I cannot agree that this is “bad”, simply because this might have been what would have happened in Real Life if the Allies (mainly the US) had acted differently (more aggressively) strategically and politically. Those who have followed this thread have probably grabbed the nuances I have used in the game, the main one being the fact that the Japanese were over-stretched from the start – and the Allies knew it – but did not act accordingly. The Japanese knew it, too.

That “this is not a simulator, but a game” - I do not agree wholly with. Playing against the AI this is probably true but in a man-to-man scenario, given some proper guidelines, I should think the contemporary WW2 commanders would have been quite happy to have such a tool, for the purpose of simulation, at their disposal.

Before I started this game, I had only played one short round just to familiarize myself with the basic moves. I selected “working” torpedoes, my reason for this being that my trial round simply showed so bad results even when “working”, that it justified to keep it that way. Also, the “aggressive” US leadership should be mirrored in the way their sub commanders acted. One member here commented on this – that this could not influence on the USN’s flawed torpedoes. I do not necessarily agree on that as several historical sources quote the attitude of some USN sub commanders as being a part of the “problem”. How would a sub commander inspired to be “aggressive”, rather than “careful”, compensate for inferior torpedoes? By firing more torpedoes at closer distances on more occasions - more aggressively! There is also the lack of segregation of the torpedoes of the S-boats and the fleet boats (is there not?). The S-boats, allegedly, did not experience the same problems as the fleet boats (by not having magnetic detonators). The Dutch had very little problems. But, first and foremost, I based this on what I saw in my trial game. I did, however, never fickle with (improve upon) the sub commanders, but used the original ones. This might be an alternative to improve on their performance instead of tinkering with the torpedo setting.

I made a small adjustment on maneuverability and rate of climb on both the P-36 and P-400 because these two version were lighter than the standardized P-36 “Mohawk” and P-39D specs. of the editor (I think). Again, I never fickled with the pilot corps (except on one “transport” occasion), but used those originally in the various units. Historical start and Fog of War.

I soon found that I should have played the trial scenario a little more. First, it took some time before I understood that army units could actually be moved by (transport) AKs, only less efficient. After some bad experiences I also discovered that a loaded transport without a set destination would begin unloading again after it was loaded. Very unfortunate when in a small port. The ship’s repair system I didn’t start (understand) to use actively until after a couple of months. Lost much time there in retrieving the damaged battleships and others. Especially as much damage was received in the first period. Much results in naval engagements were also “lost” in this period in a lot of skirmishes and attacks on enemy convoys because I hadn’t grabbed that when a task force ship has less than 1/3 ammo left, the whole task force avoids (withdraws from) battle. After that, it took some time to learn properly the importance of port size in relevance to ship’s ammo refurbishing. Everything went better when I learnt to coordinate ADs, AEs and port sizes.

I didn’t touch China or SEA initially. If I had, that would probably have given me an easier ride. In this period, I was quite impressed by the stamina of the enemy’s Singapore-based naval units, they never gave up on penetrating the Malacca Strait and create havoc in the Andaman Sea.

Of course, the worst (most difficult) was the utilization of own air assets. This part of the game is really finicky, and somewhat tedious, if you ask me. First, I was rather p***** with it but eventually I learned to accept the inscrutability of the “system”, if one can call it that, and that it evens out in the long run. That it was generally unmanageable was one thing, I also used some of it wrongly for a period, it didn’t get any better at that.

The last major factor I was able to sort out was that of amphibious/non-amphibious operations and the necessity of naval and air support units in upkeeping the efficiency of the bases. I learnt that the hard way at Lucena, Luzon, in April 1942. It started here:

tm.asp?m=3840708&mpage=11&key=#

At first it went well, the airfield was staffed by a balanced fighter force, a dozen transports tried to unload in the small port, well-protected by destroyers and light cruisers. The unloading went very slowly, not being amphibious in the real sense. In the mean-time enemy units started to advance from the Manila area. Naval and air support personnel were not in the first landings, consequently, more and more fighters were immobilized on the airfield and much materiel was lost during unloading – too little, too late! A real mess that ended in disaster!

What I would like now is to play the game again with an experienced player as the Japanese opponent, his mission to go for what the RL Japanese did, and not go for what they explicitly did not go for, until a specified date that should be agreed upon.

OK, I hear you: “That is unfair, you would know what he’s up to…”… Yes, I would, but that the RL allies for a large part did, too, they knew what the Japanese were after. My opposite can also support himself on this thread. The timeline I would like to restrict to August 7th 1942 – the date of the first US landings on Guadalcanal, only three months after Corregidor surrendered.

Important, too: Some of the RL army and air force units that had just left, or about to leave (they were many) SF and San Diego on Dec. 7th and were called back or stopped, should be freed up for immediate transfer in the editor, as they originally were supposed to in the RL scenario.

I should be able to make a turn per day (I’m retired) and would appreciate if each player would post a summary on the thread once a (campaign) week. A sort of official bulletin from each side – all sorts of desinformatia and maskirovka allowed.

If anybody’s interested please PM me.

Fred
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Interested in seeing your concept played out again but can't commit personally to a PBEM game.
Two suggestions:
- copy your post and put a duplicate in the "Opponents Wanted" part of the forum, if you have not already done so

- be open to a bit longer timeline. Fall of 1942 is when things start to get really interesting and there is still a lot of room for a Japanese coup at that time. Japan was not truly overmatched until the Essex Carriers started arriving in mid-1943. The amount of effort that goes into setting up the first few turns and the early invasions will leave your opponent wanting a little more play of the scenario before it wraps up early.

And thanks for posting a very interesting AAR. I did not always think you were doing the right thing but sometimes you pulled it off and showed what is possible with aggressive play. Kudos!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Interested in seeing your concept played out again but can't commit personally to a PBEM game.
Two suggestions:
- copy your post and put a duplicate in the "Opponents Wanted" part of the forum, if you have not already done so

- be open to a bit longer timeline. Fall of 1942 is when things start to get really interesting and there is still a lot of room for a Japanese coup at that time. Japan was not truly overmatched until the Essex Carriers started arriving in mid-1943. The amount of effort that goes into setting up the first few turns and the early invasions will leave your opponent wanting a little more play of the scenario before it wraps up early.

And thanks for posting a very interesting AAR. I did not always think you were doing the right thing but sometimes you pulled it off and showed what is possible with aggressive play. Kudos!

Thank you for your kind words! I shall consider your advice.

Fred
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep May 25th 1944 – afternoon

As the US forces surrounding Tokyo are taking a rest, only the daily artillery and naval bombardments are continuing. Bomber, fighter-bomber and Army units are replenishing their numbers. Even if the enemy has large losses in his regular attempts to break out, his general fighting spirit and capabilities do not seem to have diminished much even if the city has been under siege for months. Nagoya is being developed as a fourth naval base to support the large number of bombardment units attacking Tokyo every night. It has been decided to limit US resources used on an immediate capture of Tokyo, to instead destroy him in every other part of the East. That may be the only possibility to finally induce his leadership in Tokyo to give in.

On Hokkaido, US forces advancing from Kagoshima have reached the city of Sapporo. Amphibious forces have also landed on the south-eastern part of the island. In the last few days the enemy has assembled his remaining air assets in Sapporo. With US forces approaching Sapporo these were again moved, to the southern part of Hokkaido, to Muroran. This morning a bombardment by USN destroyers, operating out of Ominato, destroyed and damaged many of these planes. During the day, a heavy bomber raid by all B-29 units based at Utsonomia destroyed most of the remaining ones on their airfields.

The islands in the chain between Japan and Torishima have all been neutralized by an amphibious force centered around the 24th and 27th infantry regiments. There was only light resistance. This force has re-embarked their ships and are now heading for Okinawa.

Numerous light carriers and destroyers have been laid up in Osaka as they are superfluous to requirements with the enemy swept off the open seas. Their airplanes have been transferred to land bases in expectance of the final putsch against Tokyo. The carriers may be re-activated for this purpose at a given time considering the over-crowding on the land air base surrounding Tokyo.

The advance in Manchuria continues. Harbin has been taken and the enemy forces along the Soviet border are steadily pushed north.

Two enemy strong-holds in China are still intact but with Chinese units soon freed up in Manchuria their days are numbered. Several enemy units are trying to evade south on both sides of the Yang-Tse-Kiang river. It is suggested that a naval bombardment unit shall be sent up the Yang-Tse-Kiang to Hankow.

Clean-up operations continue in Burma, Thailand and Indo-China. Sumatra is totally cleaned up except one little city with no known enemy forces.

British forces have landed in Brunei and reinforcements are on ships to Bandjermasin to take care of the enemy force that evaded from that city during its capture.

The enemy in the western part of Java is now under heavy pressure from British and Dutch army units. A strong force has reached Batavia. They are supported by heavy naval bombardments every night, among the ships are half a dozen RN cruisers.

The Aussies have assembled an amphibious force in Milne Bay and Buna. The attack on Finschafen shall start in a couple of days. Large air assets (for the area) have been drawn up in Port Moresby and Buna.

The US West Coast is being drained for supplies.

Fred
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep June 25th 1944 – afternoon

Japan: Tokyo has been under constant naval bombardment for several months now, with interspersed air bombing by hundreds of planes. Still there is little to show for it. AAA is equally damaging and the enemy ground units are making regular counter-attacks. Bombing has been dispensed for some weeks while building up the squadrons to normal strength. Own ground units have also had a long rest, mainly performing artillery offensives. The city has been totally blocked off from the surroundings for many months, to little avail. Some bomber units based in the western part of Japan have been used to support the Okinawa landings.

All the cities on Hokkaido have been cleaned out. Two fleeing groups are chased along the coastal road in the south, and south of Wakkanau. They are weak and de-moralized after their constant defeats. The Hokkaido offensive is built around the 38th ID, 37th and 364th IRs and the 1st and 29th Marines.

The island chain between Honshu and Torishima is cleaned up as are most of the islands between Kyushu and Okinawa. US forces have landed on the north-east tip of Okinawa and are besieging Naha on the south -western side. Kagi, on Formosa, has been in US hands since the taking of The Pescadores and has recently served as the departure point for US forces moving towards the southern point of the island. A Chinese army corps shall soon land in Kagi, too.

Manchuria: After the cleansing of the Korean Peninsula what enemy forces left in Manchuria are now pushed up against the Soviet border on two places. Chinese forces, after their numerous victories are everywhere in a state of extremely high fighting morale.

China: After the fall of Hankow, dozens of Chinese divisions were freed up and are chasing the enemy forces on both sides of the Yang-Tse-Kiang river towards the coast. what they mean to achieve with this is not known. There is no assistance, or ships, available there to get them off the hook. An enemy force in the open, east of Tsingtao, is slowly grinded down by the 9th and 27th Chinese army corps and air attacks.

South-East Asia: Indo-China is emptied of most enemy forces, only a few remain in the border area between Burma and Thailand, trying to assemble in Chiang Mai. They are pursued by Burmese forces from the west, two regiments of a British brigade are coming up from the south.

On the northern part of the Malaccan Peninsula, Champon and Victoria Point are still in enemy hands but the 25th British Brigade is approaching fast. North of Singora a small enemy unit is still holding out but overwhelming forces are hunting them down.

Dutch East Indies: Sumatra and Java are completely cleaned up, an amphibious force is ready to land on Christmas Island south of Java. The enemy force driven out of Bandjermasin is holding out in the jungles east of the city but are hard pressed by British and Dutch forces. Balikpapan and Samarinda have both been taken and part of the conquering forces have re-embarked ships and are now ready to land in Tarakan.

On the northern side of Borneo, the British advance has made it to Beaufort. Next in line is Jesselton.

Papua New Guinea: Australian forces have taken Lae, Finschafen, Malang and Hansa Bay. The enemy forces thrown out of Hansa Bay are withdrawing north, towards Wewak. Very light resistance everywhere.

Fred

Attachments
MapStrateg..ne251944.jpg
MapStrateg..ne251944.jpg (279.32 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep June 26th 1944.

Yesterday evening the Japanese leadership in Tokyo asked for cessation of hostilities and filed for peace negotiations.

Awaiting Washington’s reaction on this, General MacArthur has decided to keep up the military pressure on Tokyo as the Allies shall only accept unconditional surrender. On the other hand, he does not want to risk unnecessary losses in men or materiel. Therefore, the battleship bombardment groups shall be held back for three days to build up their strength and work on battleships in the local wharfs shall be finished or postponed for a maximum effort if the Japanese try to stall their surrender. Operations outside Japan shall continue without pause. The de-mobilized carriers in Japanese ports shall be replenished and put to sea for eventual concerted air strikes with the Army Air forces against Tokyo.

Fred

Attachments
DecisiveVi..ryWITP30.jpg
DecisiveVi..ryWITP30.jpg (194.83 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep July 5th, 1944 – afternoon

Situation in the Tokyo area is unchanged. The enemy is dragging his feet, not yet willing to accept the demand for unconditional surrender. Allied ground and air forces are resting and recuperating to the extent it is possible during the siege of a still powerful enemy. 12-16 battleships supported by numerous cruisers and destroyers are bombarding the city every night. The air offensive shall start again in a few days, followed by a renewed ground offensive.

Hokkaido is completely cleansed of enemy forces and US elements are transferring to the southern ports in wait for transport to the Tokyo area. Enemy air units have withdrawn to the southern part of Sakhalin, about a hundred fighters and bombers have been observed on airfields there. Whether a landing shall be made on Sakhalin shall be decided upon later.

Manchu-Kuo and the eastern part of China are also completely cleansed, except for a small force prevailing in the open east of Tsingtao. The railway tracks in eastern China are vibrating by hundreds of trains moving the freed-up Chinese divisions in the east back to China. These shall be used in destroying the numerous free-roving enemy units heading for the South China Sea. Chinese morale is soaring after their many victories over the worn-down Japanese troops.

In northern Thailand, more British forces are approaching Chiang May from west and south, where the enemy has concentrated his beaten remaining units for some time. Already the 3rd Assam Rifles and the BFF Brigade are besieging the city. A few days out are the 23rd Indian Division, the 4th Assam Rifles, parts of the 26th Indian Division and the 23rd Indian Brigade.

On Borneo, British and Dutch forces have taken the city of Beaufort, and Tarakan in Dutch Borneo.

Christmas Island, in the Indian Ocean south of Java, has been occupied in a combined amphibious and airborne operation. Very little opposition.

The Aussies have taken Hansa Bay in Northeast New Guinea. While recuperating the troops, the staffs are discussing which enemy base should be their next target, Wewak or Hollandia.

The northern part of the Malaccan Peninsula is now cleaned up down to Victoria Point. There are no known enemy forces in the south but own recce units are proceeding south.

Fred

Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep August 25th 1944 – afternoon

The large enemy forces escaping from the battle of HANKOW in China have all been destroyed as they retreated towards the South China Sea along the left bank of Yang-Tse-Kiang. This leaves a small force that has been chased north out of Central China, it won’t last long, and a somewhat larger force north-west of Wenchow which is also making for the sea. It is blocked by a Chinese force awaiting reinforcements before destroying it.

The several small enemy units that converged on Chiang Mai in northern Thailand, to assemble there for a last stand, were thoroughly reduced before they were chased out of the city. This force was reported as totally destroyed this afternoon.

Sumatra was believed cleansed of enemy forces, but it proved a reduced division had been hiding in its interior, in the centre of the island, north-east of Padang. It was discovered by air reconnaissance. An operation is underway to eliminate it. Ground forces, among them the 77th Chindit (Airborne) Bde, are advancing from Padang as there are no roads on the eastern side of the island. The 111th Chindit (Airborne) Bde has been taken on ships to Singapore from Bandjermasin, where they participated in the liberation of that city. They shall jump into the contested area as soon as our ground forces have made contact.

British forces have taken and occupied all the cities along Borneo’s north and north-eastern coast. British and Dutch forces have taken the south side of the island from Bandjermasin and north-east. Only the city of Tandjoengselor is threatened by the enemy. Their forces defending Tarakan withdrew there but after a prolonged struggle they were pushed out of the city but are still resisting stubbornly. Allied reinforcements are arriving all the time.

Our friends from Oz have been active, too. The northern coast of Papua New Guinea has been cleared except for Aitape which is still in enemy hands. As in Tandjoengselor, reinforcements are arriving steadily. Salamaua has been left in peace for now. It is heavily defended and shall be taken when the fighting in Aitape is over.

Tokyo is as stubborn as ever. Own forces have been resting and recuperating in the three build-up areas, Yokohama, Chiba and Utsonomiya.

The naval and air bombardments have continued on a daily basis and only a few days ago the land bombardment was started again. As the ground units in the build-up areas are showing improvements in morale, manning and equipment, they are gradually moved into the Tokyo perimeter but so far only in a reserve function. There is still a week or two before a major renewed transfer into Tokyo and the land offensive shall start. New divisions have arrived from the States, Hokkaido and Formosa, those already present have been rested. Only Chinese forces remain on Formosa after its capture.

The Philippine ground forces that have participated in the fight for Kagoshima, Okinawa and Formosa are now assembling in Nagoya in the number of two divisions and several regiments. They have gathered much experience and are relatively intact, even if small in numbers. Not unexpectedly, they are quite keen to participate in creating the death knell of the Empire. They shall be transferred to the Tokyo front in due time.

Enemy air and naval activity around Tokyo has been practically non-existent for months but just recently a few fighters have gone up from the airfields in the morning. The US air supremacy however, is so overwhelming that they have done little damage. Their AAA is still very active, with the increased bombing altitudes they do some damage but very little destruction. The extensive US air support on all airfields with quick repairs are keeping the sortie numbers up. The daily bombing sorties amount to several thousand. Aircraft from three dozen aircraft carriers contribute.

There has also been some nightly activity of fast enemy vessels trying to get in and out of Tokyo port. Most of them have been sunk as they usually bump into one or more of the nightly bombardment task forces.

Fred
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep September 3rd 1944 – afternoon.

The lone enemy force based in central Sumatra has been driven out of its nest, following a drop by the 111th (Airborne) Chindits, flown out of Singapore. The Japanese are withdrawing towards the east coast through the thickly forested terrain. In the mean-time Bangkalis, on the east coast of Sumatra, has been verified free of enemies and the second regiment of the 5th Indian Division landed there. They shall move south to attack the sole enemy unit from the north.

In Bandjoengselor, Borneo, the enemy is holding up well in spite of daily probes by an overwhelming ground force and naval and air bombardments. There is still a lot of fight in him. It is, however, only a matter of time before he is grinded down completely.

Aitape on Papua New Guinea has been captured and the Aussies are reorganizing for the attack on Salamaua, the last important enemy stronghold on this large island. There is, however, a small force north of Milne Bay, remnants of the fighting for that base.

Tokyo seems to be cracking! The last days MacArthur has ordered a 1-2-3 attack with ground forces. Together with all combat engineer units first one regiment, then two, then a whole division, has performed probing attacks along the city’s perimeter. As the results were promising, today full-scale probing attacks were made along the whole perimeter. Enemy strongholds and fortifications have been reduced or destroyed and it is estimated that at least 10 enemy units were totally destroyed. Own losses have been severe but less than expected. Full-scale attacks shall continue.

Having experienced many times the difficulties of beating a Japanese force that is totally surrounded with no possibilities of retreat, MacArthur has ordered the withdrawal of US forces in Maebashi, the next city north of Tokyo. Instead the two cities north of Maebashi have been reinforced with one each a Philippine regiment, the reasoning being that a withdrawal in itself creates much losses in manpower, materiel and morale.

Suddenly bombing is yielding much better results against the Tokyo airfields and aircraft factory areas. Air photos show, among others, several hundred Frank fighters damaged or destroyed on the ground today. No fighters are taking off from the enemy fields, they haven’t for a long time, probably out of fuel.

Fred

Ps.: Statistics of this day’s ground attack on Tokyo:

Ground combat at Tokyo (114,60) - Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 241866 troops, 4884 guns, 7090 vehicles, Assault Value = 8606
Defending force 345574 troops, 4140 guns, 588 vehicles, Assault Value = 6382
Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 3
Allied adjusted assault: 1726
Japanese adjusted defense: 5337
Allied assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 3)
-----------------------------------------------------
Japanese ground losses:
12201 casualties reported
Squads: 161 destroyed, 687 disabled
Non-combat: 26 destroyed, 296 disabled
Engineers: 61 destroyed, 276 disabled
Guns lost 226 (53 destroyed, 173 disabled)
Vehicles lost 38 (19 destroyed, 19 disabled)
Units destroyed 10
-----------------------------------------------------------
Allied ground losses:
13416 casualties reported
Squads: 66 destroyed, 1088 disabled
Non-combat: 18 destroyed, 383 disabled
Engineers: 27 destroyed, 170 disabled
Guns lost 391 (20 destroyed, 371 disabled)
Vehicles lost 344 (17 destroyed, 327 disabled)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

My original intention with this game was to test how an aggressive US leadership (as opposed to the RL one) could have assisted the Philippine defense, with the view to hold the islands for the US’ original (latest) purpose, that of using it as a B-17 base (and submarine base) to refuse the Japanese the use of the South China Sea and thereby the prize of their aggression. And, of course, to “Save MacArthur”.

Fred

I have followed your 'thesis' to use a term that seems most apt. I have not commented in this AAR as I was rather under the assumption that it was primarily to test a thesis [8D] Never the less I found it very interesting.

I share many sentiments about the elegance of this game. No tool is perfect yet this game models millions of complexities into manageable package. Further it is up to the player to consider and impose political considerations - no game can model that. A few warts or the inelegance of a "game" AI is rather a small compromise.

Sadly I am not in any position to offer my services as a RL opponent - but perhaps into 2018 ? As BB suggested there will be more capable volunteers in the other forum.

--

I don't wish to hijack your thread / study... [:D] (but I will)

...but my question is what have you concluded ??

In fairness I will share an amateur historian observation of my own.

1) Could have the Allies invested more heavily in the PI in 1941/42 to forestall Imperial Japan's expansion ?

I doubt it. Equally true of Singapore. In addition to a less aggressive stance by Allied Command - the Allies underestimated Japanese military capability and were not prepared and supplied strongly enough to accomplish even limited counter attacks and or stale mates in early 1942. Aggressively deploying a few B17's, or a few British Warships with air cover could not have reversed the outcomes significantly in my opinion. The Japanese empire was on a war footing, prepared, with strong in field commanders and clear objectives. They were also willing to pay any cost in lives to accomplish their goals.

2) Was there a better way -

However many AARs ~ and Allied players ~ have made me reconsider the Joint Chief of Staff approval of MacArthur's and Nimitz war plans i.e. the New Guinea and Central Pacific advances.

While the AARs are far more 'game than simulation' a few very revealing facts seem to suggest themselves.

Perhaps the invasion corridor through the DEI would have been more effective and potentially less costly.

Island landing in the DEI - due to shear mass / size - were likely possible - and potentially less lethal in terms of Allied casualties. More tank and artillery space to land. No coral reefs (or fewer). Further their ability to supply and support through Australia equally had advantages. Not Darwin per see but there are a variety of northern ports in Australia that could have been build up with sufficient engineering and air force support.

Early island bases in DEI would have allowed an aggressive Allied Command to bomb oil early. Thereby further crippling the Japanese ability wage war. Simply bombing the refineries. Bombing the shipping.

ABDA command could have been more effective if the Allied command moved in this direction. ABDA is mostly famous for its shortcomings and what it taught the Allies about unified chain of command in the later war. None the less a targeted focus on DEI counter attacks would have engaged Dutch and British Leadership more effectively. American leadership would have had to cede some decision making in the early years...

Anyway - I am not an accredited historian - but it is an aspect of this 'hobby I enjoy'.

I am curious on your views.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Dear Mac, I’d like very much to discuss the subject but I’m just about to close the campaign. It has taken much longer than hoped for, so I do not have much time – there are other aspects to life, too….
...but my question is what have you concluded ??

In fairness I will share an amateur historian observation of my own.

No problem with that, you’re welcome.
1) Could the Allies have invested more heavily in the PI in 1941/42 to forestall Imperial Japan's expansion?

I doubt it. Equally true of Singapore. In addition to a less aggressive stance by Allied Command - the Allies underestimated Japanese military capability and were not prepared and supplied strongly enough to accomplish even limited counter attacks and or stale mates in early 1942. Aggressively deploying a few B17's, or a few British Warships with air cover could not have reversed the outcomes significantly in my opinion. The Japanese empire was on a war footing, prepared, with strong in field commanders and clear objectives. They were also willing to pay any cost in lives to accomplish their goals.

If the Japanese attack had started in April ’42, as Marshall and MacArthur hoped for (expected), things would probably have been quite different.

My impression is not that the Allies under-estimated the Japanese, on the contrary, the first encounters – Pearl Harbour, The Philippines and the Prince of Wales/Repulse incidence created a sort of chock.

In my opinion the question isn’t what the Allies could have done before, but what they didn’t do after the war was a fact. There was a time window, but it was wasted. This applies particularly to the US, her leadership panicked in a way and was totally over-ruled by the Navy on every corner (as Eisenhower put it). Roosevelt tried to speed things up but was not able to over-rule the Navy. Even the Army’s transports were forbidden by the Navy to start, or continue, on their way to The Philippines. The Philippines were an Army responsibility.

The Japanese may have been war-ready, but their strategy was flawed. Allied analysis before the war showed that they were seriously over-stretched, and they expected a much tougher allied resistance from the start. The result was that they could soon speed up their operations
2) Was there a better way -

For the British I don’t know, except that they declined an offer for Chinese assistance in Burma, but for the Americans, yes, there was - just my opinion;

Firstly, they should not have stopped the mass of personnel and materiel that was already on its way, or about to leave the West Coast for The Philippines. Enormous quantities of stores/equipment and much personnel were ready or on its way.

Secondly, the US leadership should not have put themselves under the ABDA command. This resulted in much of its resources being used for other than US purposes, among them most of Admiral Hart’s Asiatic Fleet.

Thirdly, the US should have established its own Command and politically pressured the Dutch and the Anzacs to set off a part of their military resources for the purpose of relief and defense of The Philippines. This is what I do in the actual game.
However many AARs ~ and Allied players ~ have made me reconsider the Joint Chief of Staff approval of MacArthur's and Nimitz war plans i.e. the New Guinea and Central Pacific advances.

I agree, this was later, and a naval “doing”, MacArthur had to go along with it to get any naval support at all. Not to have done it would have made it impossible for the two parties to cooperate and support each other.
While the AARs are far more 'game than simulation' a few very revealing facts seem to suggest themselves. Perhaps the invasion corridor through the DEI would have been more effective and potentially less costly.

I agree. This was also the route Eisenhower in early January recommended for the relief transports to The Philippines (which never materialized in any meaningful sense). A combined Army/Navy effort along this axis could have secured a Philippines relief route. As an example, Ambon, the central island/city in The Moluccas was not attacked by the Japanese until the end of January. In the mean-time the Japanese landing force advancing westwards from Davao on Mindanao had been beaten back by the local Philippine forces. Ambon was already defended by Dutch and Australian forces.

Much of the US forces that landed on Guadalcanal August 7th, and/or fought in The Solomons, could have been in this area before the Japanese made Ambon. Some were about to leave and other had left the West Coast on December 7th. The 2nd Marine Brigade was escorted to Samoa by carrier Yorktown in January, followed by some raids by Yorktown against Japanese bases, but the Navy would not cater to MacArthur’s request for carrier transport of Army planes. His reinforcements were dropped off along the way or turned around.

I recommend Glen Williford’s book: “Racing the Sunrise”. It is rather depressing to see the opportunities lost, as regards available transports, units and equipment.
Island landing in the DEI - due to shear mass / size - were likely possible - and potentially less lethal in terms of Allied casualties. More tank and artillery space to land. No coral reefs (or fewer). Further their ability to supply and support through Australia equally had advantages. Not Darwin per see but there are a variety of northern ports in Australia that could have been build up with sufficient engineering and air force support.

Early island bases in DEI would have allowed an aggressive Allied Command to bomb oil early. Thereby further crippling the Japanese ability wage war. Simply bombing the refineries. Bombing the shipping.

Dead on! Knowing what the Japanese were after in the first place such a strategy from the start not only could have saved The Philippines but simultaneously threatened the Japanese supply lines through the South China Sea and, as you write, demolish those resource centers they had already captured. With such a strategy I can hardly see the Japanese using resources for a Solomon or Papua New Guinea campaign. They would have to take care of this threat first.
ABDA command could have been more effective if the Allied command moved in this direction. ABDA is mostly famous for its shortcomings and what it taught the Allies about unified chain of command in the later war. None the less a targeted focus on DEI counter attacks would have engaged Dutch and British Leadership more effectively. American leadership would have had to cede some decision making in the early years...

Mixing up with the ABDA system did incredible damage to the US cause. They ought to know it, too, “everybody” participating in the early discussions and planning of this organisation knew that the British put their own perceived needs before the other members’. Admiral Hart mentions it in his “report” after returning to The States. His “Asiatic Fleet”, that was originally meant to support MacArthur in the defense of The Philippines was practically “given” to the British. Instead of escorting supply ships to The Philippines they were used for escorting British troops and supplies to Singapore. The situation was further complicated, delayed, by the intricate political proceedings of the Arcadia Conference. The problem was that every party expected the other to do more than they did themselves.

Just to have said it, the “Germany-first” strategy, which was an important subject during the conference did not retract from what was sent to the Pacific, on the contrary. While the “Germany-first” strategy was agreed upon in principle, in practice it was not adhered to. Eventually, and for the time being, the Pacific was given priority. Previous US troop assignments to Europe were cut down on, and delayed. Of three divisions promised to Europe, only one went there. The two others went to The Pacific. The North African operation (Gymnast/Magnet/Torch), so desperately promoted by Churchill, first hoped for to start in the Winter/Spring 1942, was delayed to May. Eventually it did not happen until November - because the US leadership prioritized shipping for The Pacific.

In the mean-time nobody listened, or catered to, MacArthur. For him, this resulted in nothing.

To stop the Japanese onslaught was one thing, the other was to save MacArthur. Why was this so important, apart from the fact that the country could be used as a future base for offensive operations?

In the Philippines were 120.000 US and Philippine troops that, with a proper injection of more US troops, advisory officers and materiel, could have been developed into a viable fighting force. This is proven by Bataan. Bataan was defended by a core of US, and Philippine manned units, mainly Philippine. These held out for three months with virtually no relief from the outside. The rest of The Philippines was left almost untouched by the Japanese until April, after Bataan had fallen, and then with quite weak forces. All the major islands had US garrisons which were preparing for receiving reinforcements from the outside. None came.

If the US leadership had been more politically aggressive they could also have made better use of the Anzac forces returning from the Middle East. This coupled with a combined US Army/Navy offensive along the lines indicated by you would have been a formidable force.

One thing that surprises me when studying this part of the war is the US negligence on what the Dutch could have contributed with in this area – The Moluccas. The Dutch had an extensive basing and communications system that could well have withstood the rather weak Japanese offensive forces, given some proper reinforcements. As a matter of fact, the Japanese plan for this advance route was weak in the extreme and was already shook up in their first landing in Davao, Mindanao. Their advance westwards from Davao had to be broken off because some of those forces were needed elsewhere, Tarakan, Menado, Kendari and Ambon. Tarakan and Menado were invaded beginning of January, Kendari and Ambon beginning of February.
Anyway - I am not an accredited historian - but it is an aspect of this 'hobby I enjoy' - I am curious on your views.

Well, those are my views. And, from one un-accredited historian to another – I have to run – Tokyo is about to fall!

Fred
HMASAustralia

Post by HMASAustralia »

If the US leadership had been more politically aggressive they could also have made better use of the Anzac forces returning from the Middle East. This coupled with a combined US Army/Navy offensive along the lines indicated by you would have been a formidable force.

As another un-accredited historian who for university did a project on the transfer of the 6th, 7th and 9th Divisions to the Pacific and the role of the Australian Political Leadership in the transfer, I must disagree. I consider the aggressive use of the ANZAC forces impossible in 1942. In reality the bulk of the returning AIF forces were only just getting from India to Australia in September and between the fall of Singapore and the heavy losses in North Africa so far in the War, Curtin and the Australian Government were very unlikely to commit to another so called "fortress." And the Australian Military Force, our Conscripted Militia more or less were unable to serve outside of Australian territories which is a reason why Australian Forces were relegated to garrison and Secondary Operations later in the war.

In other words, Australia had very little to offer any American Defence of the Philippines. Whether it was possible in general though, I am not sure, and you are more educated on the state of American Forces, but Australian assistance to the Philippines would have been impossible other than a handful of cruisers and destroyers.

Edit: Forgot to say, I like the AAR and congratulations on the imminent capture of Tokyo.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

In the Philippines were 120.000 US and Philippine troops that, with a proper injection of more US troops, advisory officers and materiel, could have been developed into a viable fighting force. This is proven by Bataan. Bataan was defended by a core of US, and Philippine manned units, mainly Philippine. These held out for three months with virtually no relief from the outside. The rest of The Philippines was left almost untouched by the Japanese until April, after Bataan had fallen, and then with quite weak forces. All the major islands had US garrisons which were preparing for receiving reinforcements from the outside. None came.

I am not sure I agree nor understand if this was truly possible. Even by April 1942 (as opposed to Dec 1941) ??

Not withstanding what might be capable in a simulation in this engine - what would Japan's reaction be ? Through naval and air superiority - what could have reached Luzon (supply, troops, advisers, air frames ?? From where ?

Did you achieve supplies and re-enforce Philippines to hold ??

Post 108

I have neglected the islands along the Pacific supply lines with the result that several central islands have been invaded, necessitating major southerly re-routings. The Lae-Buna area seem to be in a major build-up stage and the Japanese have landed in Milne Bay. They’re flying regular missions south of the Torres Strait and against Port Moresby. PM has been reinforced by a US (56th) CD regiment.

Bataan fell on February 22nd after very heavy daily artillery bombardments and bombings – up to 700 guns participating with US losses 300-1500 per bombardment. Apart from the many small garrisons in the Visayas there are still three resistance pockets on Mindanao, the main one being around Zamboanga. This last one is bombed daily, the Japanese flying out of Jolo and Luzon.

For me, the chance of keeping the Philippine Relief Route open hinged around the holding of Menado. For that the artillery units in the Pensacola convoy were “crucial”. You may remember that the first Japanese attempt failed, diverting them to Ternate. As we know, the Pensacola units became stuck in Suva for many weeks, only now are they in the Moluccan area. To take back Menado implies a very major operation considering the Japanese bases skirting the Moluccan Sea now

--

The Battle of Tsushima as far back as 1905(?) proved the efficiency of the Japanese Navy. Trained, experienced, near ports of command with ample opportunity to refit and resupply. Commanders with clear objectives. The KB was capable of sinking the vast majority of any relief fleet and providing local air superiority. The earl USN detractors of Plan Orange - although a minority - pointed out the logistical challenges of "seeking the decisive battle" 1000s of nautical miles from home ports with no forward bases to refit and resupply. They counter proposed that any Mahan decisive battle would have to happen nearer to Pearl rather than further west.

Had the British / Dutch fleet actually acted in escorting support to Luzon - they still had no air cover.

No US forward port (Guam?) was sufficiently built up - or could be built up - by April 42 - your own effort to route through Menado was curtailed.

I further agree that ANZ troops, supplies and war material were sufficient to support the PI. Simply not available with no risk free routes.

Now a debate on ABDA would be a book full... but I have a number of equally uninformed opinions of that subject. I rarely let facts get in the way of my opinions [8D]

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Sitrep September 24th 1944 – afternoon.

The lone enemy regiment that withdrew to the east coast on central Sumatra evaporated before own ground units could catch up with it. The regular bombings carried out by British air units based in Singapore probably did it. The same happened to the remnants of the enemy unit originally pushed out of Milne Bay a long while back. They have been squatting in the jungle north-east of Milne Bay ever since, but a couple of days ago all sign of them disappeared.

Bandjoengselor, on the north-east side of Borneo, south of Tarakan, has fallen, too – its defenders eventually surrendered. By this, Borneo is completely cleansed of any organized Japanese resistance.

Salamaua on Papua New Guinea was captured four days ago. That enemy force has since been destroyed outside the city. Consequently, NPG is also cleansed of enemy forces. The enemy was never able to develop Rabaul, New Britain or The Solomons, as viable forward bases.

The struggle for Tokyo has been long and hard but on September 15th the enemy forces were pushed north, out of the city. Since then US forces have continued to increase their attacks both on the ground, in the air and at sea. With the enemy farther inland, the nightly naval bombardment units have performed with less efficiency, but this has been compensated for by the air force. As the enemy’s volume of AAA decreased the US bombers reduced their bombing altitudes, gradually going down from 25.000 to 5.000 feet. This has given much better results with little increase in fatal losses. Lately fatal sortie loss rate has been around 1-1,5 %.

Presently, there are about 480.000 US troops in the Tokyo area. The enemy’s force has gone down from approx. 600.000 to. 80.000. What remains of him north of the city is now surrounded, he never performed a major withdrawal. The last few weeks our ground attacks have alternated between artillery bombardments and bombardment/probing attacks, ending with all-out attacks the last four days. While the US forces are quite worn down and disorganized, the enemy’s “crack” has increased every day, with daily losses much higher than ours. Today dozens and dozens of enemy units were destroyed or simply dispersed. The outer Tokyo perimeter is well secured so it is hoped that he shall not be able to organize himself again., The possibility, however, shall be taken into account.

Only a few serviceable enemy planes, with no fuel, were found on the various Tokyo airfields but hundreds of bombed-out wrecks. The port was empty, as can be understood by recent naval statistics which show that many enemy ships have been sunk while trying to escape. The port itself is in relatively good shape.

There was no sign of the Emperor and his personal staff when Tokyo was invaded. Have they been killed during the bombing and bombardment attacks or have they been smuggled or flown out of the surrounded city by the fanatic military? There are still many places they could go even if there is no hope of reversing the general situation. As the last enemy forces outside Tokyo are destroyed there is little reason for the allies to spend much more time and resources. The various Japanese contingents in the Pacific have no way of supporting themselves properly.

Tomorrow shall hopefully be the last day of the fight for Tokyo.

A report on this day’s fighting:

Ground combat at Tokyo (114,60) - Allied Shock attack:

Attacking force 326356 troops, 6996 guns, 9736 vehicles, Assault Value = 10048
Defending force 125369 troops, 644 guns, 137 vehicles, Assault Value = 404
Allied assault odds: 24 to 1

Japanese ground losses:

26361 casualties reported
Squads: 438 destroyed, 39 disabled
Non-combat: 2248 destroyed, 903 disabled
Engineers: 125 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 113 (103 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 11 (9 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Units destroyed 65

Allied ground losses:

761 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 97 disabled
Non-combat: 1 destroyed, 45 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 23 (1 destroyed, 22 disabled)

Fred

Return to “After Action Reports”