This Game Is Borked Because

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

tocaff

This Game Is Borked Because

Post by tocaff »

Because LCUs can be frozen in place, unable to move at all by air units on ground attack missions. Even the Germans were able to move in Normandy, at night. Why not just reduce movement as usually happens by changing from the move to combat setting thus reducing how far a unit may move.

Because LCU movement from roads to the countryside in friendly territory is maddening. It's only logical to stay on a road in friendly controlled territory, especially when it's the most direct way to get somewhere.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Alpha77

RE: This Game Is Borked Because

Post by Alpha77 »

Agree somewhat that eg. a complete division would be slowed down if 10 fighters strafe the unit and wound some cooks of the divison support units... (represents in game eg. 2 support squads disabled).... also on topic ground troops there should also be a rule that small out of supply left over rable can not block roads and rails or need a division to be chases around 5 days before finally destroyed. In TOAW is an over-run rule if the attacker has a certain amount of combat power higher than the defender (esp. if defender is only a support or art/aa unit without much infantry) the defender will auto-retreat or is auto destroyed. This prevents a bit what we have here that small out of supply units are difficult to destroy and can cause too much damage (blocking major roads)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Because LCUs can be frozen in place, unable to move at all by air units on ground attack missions. Even the Germans were able to move in Normandy, at night. Why not just reduce movement as usually happens by changing from the move to combat setting thus reducing how far a unit may move.

Because LCU movement from roads to the countryside in friendly territory is maddening. It's only logical to stay on a road in friendly controlled territory, especially when it's the most direct way to get somewhere.

Never heard of a unit being totally stopped by air attack. Put it in Combat mode and give it a destination and it will make some progress. Air attacks slow things up by knocking units out of move mode or strat mode but they should always be able to move in Combat or Reserve mode (assuming they have a hex side they can move through). Is it possible your troops moved into a hex that had strong enemy units and retreated back to their hex immediately? Or, sometimes units heading to a destination two or more hexes away get to the edge of the first hex on their route but have to cancel the move because enemy troops have moved into the hex (i.e. there is no longer a continuous path of open hexsides they can follow).
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Never heard of a unit being totally stopped by air attack.
+1

Nor seen it ... [;)]
Pax
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Well, it can happen that a unit is totally destroyed by an air attack. That usually stops it. [8D]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

You are talking about codes changes and that is not going to happen. Yes, it has been conceded by just about anyone who has been on this forum that there are many flaws in the land combat phase. It is a mature game and the developers have moved on. Sorry, there are a lot of things I would love to see changed but I am not holding my breath. Still, it works pretty good..[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The OP is mistaken. This doesn't happen.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Well, TBH its not air attacks that do it. But if an LCU is involved in any ground combat during a turn, any movement it had gained can be reset to 0. I have had this happen to me in a game against the AI.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Is the game "borked" because of this???
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Well, TBH its not air attacks that do it. But if an LCU is involved in any ground combat during a turn, any movement it had gained can be reset to 0. I have had this happen to me in a game against the AI.

I have never had this happen and I move ground units out of large siege hexes in China against the AI all the time.
If put in move mode and then attacked the unit will revert to combat mode, but I have never seen the progress toward the destination hex reset to 0.

I also believe Todd is mistaken about movement being prevented altogether by air bombing. I have never seen this.
Units in move mode will be reverted to combat mode, but even in combat mode motorized units will move 2 miles per day through jungle rough while being bombed form the air.

I have also never seen a unit knocked out of strat mode by air bombing. Knocked out of move mode, yes, strat mode, no.

Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Is the game "borked" because of this???

You are somewhat new to the forum and likely don't know the rich history the term "borked" has here.

Todd used it to get the attention of the veterans.
Hans

zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I have seen units set back to zero traveled, I do not believe this to be a function of "combat" but a bug which happens on occasion, particularly
with large formations. I have seen it in the PI outside Manila and in Manchuria.

* I should add this is a rare occurrence, I think I've seen it twice in something like 3300 turns.
** +1 Hans
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yeah, just for the record. Units in move mode that are hit by air attack will revert to combat status but still move that turn at the slower rate. If it is a large stack some units might be unaffected and remain in move mode. Units in strat mode do not revert but take a lot more losses. Units moving and attacked should not have their movement stopped or reset. If this happens it might be a bug but there may be other conditions that reset the move such as a enemy unit moving into the hex across the hexside that you were trying to move out of.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yeah, just for the record. Units in move mode that are hit by air attack will revert to combat status but still move that turn at the slower rate.

I once tried to get the forum to begin calling this "mode knocking", but alas, it was not to be my legacy. [>:] [8D]
The Moose
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

I have seen units set back to zero traveled, I do not believe this to be a function of "combat" but a bug which happens on occasion, particularly
with large formations. I have seen it in the PI outside Manila and in Manchuria.

* I should add this is a rare occurrence, I think I've seen it twice in something like 3300 turns.
** +1 Hans
+ you and Hans.

I've seen it a couple of times without discerning the cause. No way air strikes stop movement: that would happen dozens of times each turn if so.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yeah, just for the record. Units in move mode that are hit by air attack will revert to combat status but still move that turn at the slower rate.

I once tried to get the forum to begin calling this "mode knocking", but alas, it was not to be my legacy. [>:] [8D]
Sorry I missed it or I would have supported the effort! [:D]

But your opponents now have inspiration to call their victory efforts 'Moose knocking', which just might catch on ala 'cow tipping'. [:D]
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Beware the Moose [X(]

Attachments
morning.jpg
morning.jpg (96.53 KiB) Viewed 93 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Sorry I missed it or I would have supported the effort! [:D]

In my AAR. Ancient history.

But your opponents now have inspiration to call their victory efforts 'Moose knocking', which just might catch on ala 'cow tipping'. [:D]

I could live with "Moose oomphing." Catchy.
The Moose
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Beware the Moose [X(]

Wait a minute - what kind of beer do moosessees like? Let's zoom in on those bottles ...closer ... closer... D'oh ... of course -

Attachments
Mooseheadbeer.jpg
Mooseheadbeer.jpg (98.66 KiB) Viewed 93 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Used to drink it in the 80s. Not for a long time.

There's a beer up by my dad's in Montana: Moose Drool. That's a good name.
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”