Tale of the Sheep! - JocMeister (A) vs. Lowpe (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JocMeister

RE: Rabaul!

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Ouch. I know this is full of hindsight, but did you put a screen of subs out there and then check their D/L numbers before approaching? That usually helps in detecting enemy CVs. Of course, it wouldn't help if he keeps his CV aircraft on deck.

Good luck getting a surface action going. Also, I hope you unloaded enough to take the atoll.

Cheers,
CC

Subscreen was in place. No DL prior to the attack. So either he turned off NavS/ASW or he went in full speed from Wake.

Yes, I will take the atoll but troops need time to recover after the landing!
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Aside from the VPs from the CVEs, those losses aren't too bad, really. The only ships I'd care about in that list are the APA/AKA.

For the Wildkittens, per your house rules (sigh [8|]) would you be allowed to transfer Marine units to the CVEs - that would be able to fly Hellcats or Corsairs at least?
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Aside from the VPs from the CVEs, those losses aren't too bad, really. The only ships I'd care about in that list are the APA/AKA.

For the Wildkittens, per your house rules (sigh [8|]) would you be allowed to transfer Marine units to the CVEs - that would be able to fly Hellcats or Corsairs at least?

Wildkittens isn´t a HR. Its just the fact that the Navy units that comes with the CVEs doesnt upgrade to anything but Kittens. Yes I can fly whatever I want from them. In fact I had some USMC units split up on the decks to fill out the CVEs. So now that the F4U-1A has arrived I can fly them from CVEs. In fact they already are on some more important CVEs.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Rabaul[/font]

So lets start with the good news before moving on to the bad ones.
Ground combat at Rabaul (106,125)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 29179 troops, 585 guns, 641 vehicles, Assault Value = 1010

Defending force 27750 troops, 276 guns, 21 vehicles, Assault Value = 541

Allied adjusted assault: 1743

Japanese adjusted defense: 685

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Rabaul !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
13160 casualties reported
Squads: 361 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 157 destroyed, 55 disabled
Engineers: 44 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 148 (142 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 15 (15 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 11

Allied ground losses:
292 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Vehicles lost 31 (1 destroyed, 30 disabled)

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

45k Japanese troops retreat into the Jungle. 2nd Marines are in pursuit and will hunt them down while prepping for new targets.

Will take about 2 weeks before Rabaul is operational as I have a lot of troop moving to do as the entire region will be reorganized.

24th ID will clear out the Lea area and as soon as Rabaul is operational we can start to pound Manus which have turned into a major Japanese stronghold. Rabauls level 9 AF will take care of that.

Attachments
Rabaul8.jpg
Rabaul8.jpg (409.82 KiB) Viewed 411 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Burma[/font]

Jeff has not played well here but I have played absolutely horrible so he has gotten away with it. I got greedy and wanted to save my 2 isolated division AND cut him off. I should have realized a lot sooner that I couldn´t do both. This has cost me a lot of time and a lot of unnecessary losses.

No more of that now. Time to start playing properly. Jeff moved out of the Jungle to try and cut me off at Magwe. Obviously I had planned for this. 3 Armored BDEs are moving back to make sure the hex isn´t closed while the 9th, 25th Indian and 1st Marines shock into the Japanese troops in the clear.

Bulk of the Japanese forces are in the North(!) north of Mandalay completely ignoring the threat in the South. I will now focus on isolating them rather than saving my 2 divisions. If I can trade 2 divisions for 47 units including 4 divisions and a tank division it will be worth it.

Attachments
Burma36.jpg
Burma36.jpg (693.29 KiB) Viewed 411 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

Curious about this unorthodox Burma you two are playing! Can't wait to see what happens.

Who will make who pay in the end? [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Sorry for the lack of update guys.

I thought I would get more time with the vacation started but weather has been fantastic. Motivation to sit in front of the computer has been low when you can sit outside and enjoy a beer. Leaving town in 2 days and will basically be gone for 2 weeks.

Not much to report anyway. [:)]
obvert

Post by obvert »

Bumping you back to page 1.

Let us know what beers you've been enjoying! I just got a Mikkeller that is fantastic!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Bumping you back to page 1.

Let us know what beers you've been enjoying! I just got a Mikkeller that is fantastic!

Wow, I should really read the forum more often! [:D]

No more beers for poor me. My wife informed me I have become too fat. I´m now on a diet and only allowed some whiskey on Saturdays.

I´m miserable. [:(]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Hi guys.

A bit of an update. I have have surrendered to Jeff as I no longer have time to play in the weekdays. Its a shame because I still enjoy the game but right now its not working for me. Maria got a new job running a lab on the other side of town. The commute means she is usually home very late in the evenings and I have to do all the ground work at home. When all that is sorted and the kids are sleeping its basically already time for me to go to bed. Doing the turn means less sleep and I was so tired and exhausted when I was doing the turn I was not enjoying it. It became a chore rather than something fun and relaxing.

I asked Jeff if he wanted to find a replacement. He is busy with some IRL stuff right now but will decide in a few days.

Allied position is pretty strong. Besides losing 3 CVs to subs and the usual BBs the Navy is pretty much intact. Airforce is VERY strong. On the ground I really made a mess out of Burma trying to save those 2 divisions at Katha but besides that nothing alarming. Allies are poised for a massive invasion in the lower DEI. Prepp is almost done and most is in place. Fuel and supply is where it needs to be.

The bad:
Some things have been neglected. Pilot training hasnt been dealt with for 1-2 game months. There is a lot of logistics to deal with in SOPAC. Need to shift around BFs and troops. Burma is messed up badly (my fault). KB crashed a Midway landing. Lost 2 LCUs and 3-5 CVEs. Some BBs got damaged but are repairing.

I can give more details if needed in the future.

Thanks for your time guys! Ill try and read the forum from time to time! [:)]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

A bit of an update. I have have surrendered to Jeff as I no longer have time to play in the weekdays. Its a shame because I still enjoy the game but right now its not working for me. Maria got a new job running a lab on the other side of town. The commute means she is usually home very late in the evenings and I have to do all the ground work at home. When all that is sorted and the kids are sleeping its basically already time for me to go to bed. Doing the turn means less sleep and I was so tired and exhausted when I was doing the turn I was not enjoying it. It became a chore rather than something fun and relaxing.

You made the right decision of course. But do check in with us once a month or so (on a weekend) to say hello! [8D]
BillBrown

The Sheep are reborn - Bill Brown tries his hand

Post by BillBrown »

I am taking over for Jocke, I hope to do a good job. I do not know how much I will be able to post in this AAR, but we will see.

I have the game file and a new installation for this game.
Encircled

RE: The Sheep are reborn - Bill Brown tries his hand

Post by Encircled »

Good decision Jocke!

Only reason I can fit in a game with two kids and a wife is because we work from home.

It would be impossible to do it otherwise, and now they have both started playing football on Sundays......
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I am not sure if I will continue using this thread or start a new one. Any ideas on which I should choose?

A quick assessment is probable in order.
I have never played a PDU off game, never gave it a thought, so I will be
having to learn a lot in the coming days.

Anything I say here should not be construed as a criticism of Jocks play. We all play differently and have
different areas we stress. One case in point, I insure that I protect my C2 Cargo ships and make sure I convert
them to C2 Lassen AE's before March 1943. If you wait until after that you can not convert them. I do like having
lots AE's with a cargo space of 5400 available. And they are the ones that can do underway replenishment in 1945.
Unfortunately Jocke did not, so I will have a lot less that I would prefer.

Jocke did a good job of positioning supply and fuel to the front, but I need to see if I can increase the forward
stockpiles. The Allies can go through a huge amount of supply and fuel in the last 18 months of the war. It appears
that Jocke did not lose an excessive number of xAKs and his AO and TK loses were very reasonable. So the ground
work for Allied victory is in place.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I'd suggest starting a new AAR. Recently, that seems to be what most people do when they pick up new one. Just be sure to link the old one in your first post.

That lack of AEs would hurt. I love those things. Call it a challenge, though, and adjust your gameplay.

Good luck.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Barb

Post by Barb »

I am looking forward to this AAR to continue... I think you can as well as continue here if the AAR title is fitting to you...
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I think I will start a new thread for my AAR.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Jock, I don't like seeing you go and hope you'll be back sooner rather than later. In the meantime, keep that family of yours running well. Best of luck and best wishes.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Good luck with continuing the game, looking forward in what direction you take it.

Return to “After Action Reports”