Time to start a new game

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Time to start a new game

Post by Chris21wen »

Despite spending some hours searching, particularly here tm.asp?m=3088504, I've come up empty handed. Problem is many do not say how, if at all, the Allied AI plays. I don't want some impossible nasty scenario just something with a decent Allied AI.

I'd also like it to be extended map but have read there aren't any. Is this correct?

I fancied playing an RA scenario but it says on the page 'This Mod is getting to be more and more difficult for the AI to handle.' How difficult and which AI?

Help appreciated here as I'm getting frustrated.
Yaab

RE: Time to start a new game

Post by Yaab »

Tough call.

Generally, AI is just a bunch of scripts and you will break any AI sooner or later. If extended map is not an option (it is just some additional bases), you could go with stock map scenarios like DaBabesLite scen 26 or RHS Level I. Both aim at more realism, with RHS upping the unit/base density considerably. Also scen 100 (updated scen1) is very nice, adds tons of bases in Burma.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

The extra bases in burma were added to help the Japanese AI. The Allied AI can't use the Extended map features. Most of the biggest Mods add more ships, air groups and LCU's that the AI, Allied or Japan, does n't use correctly or at all. Scenario 100, As Yaab said, would be a good choice....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

As far as I know, not much (if any) work has been done for the Allied AI side.

The AI in general is very poor on attack. Which is why there are so many mods that provide Japan with extra 'goodies'. It is also why it is recommended to switch the difficulty to VH for a few turns every couple of weeks so that supply levels for units can build back up.

I am actually playing a game as Japan against the Allied AI and just captured the Fiji's in 1944!! I did 'let' the AI get some of the Marshal's. Even with not losing a single CV yet, there is just not enough Naval assets for Japan to cover the Pacific.

So you should not expect much from any mod with an Allied AI. Although it is a lot of fun to capture and fight in areas you will likely never be in against a human opponent. [:)]

As a side note: The Essex CVs seem to be indestructible. I attacked one of them with 4 CVs loaded with AC and hardly did any damage to it at all. So once they show up, it really is game over for Japan. If my fully upgraded planes can't sink it when it is alone in a small TF, then against a human player you might as well not even try [:(]
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

You might want to try the least "nasty" of AndyMac's scenarios.
As far as I know, his would be the most updated and intelligent of all AIs

DaBabes/ RA/ etc are all focused on PBEM, and the additional features will make it even harder for the AI

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Did Andy upgrade the Allied AI?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

He was working on a new AI ... a 'flat' version, but I think he got wrapped up IRL.

Ironman is a must for AI games, it adds back features that were stripped out pre-release that broke the AI. So you starting point is there.

There are 3 flavors of Ironman: standard, Nasty, Nasty/Nasty. The AI files are the same, but the TOE and replacements have been heavily reworked. So, you could use the 'new' AI files if you choose with any of the Ironman versions.

Extended map: the issue is that none of the scripts will know about the new bases. The general AI will, but not the scripts. So, where Subic is created in the PI, during an invasion, the AI would eventually attack it, but it would not go there first. On defense, there would be no units assigned to that base as there is no script to put them there. So, you can use extended maps with the stock AI files, but you need to realize that the results will be less than a stock map.

If you really, really want to use extended map, simply write up some scripts and add them. It should only take you a 'little' bit of time. ;)
Pax
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

I've searched some more and found another by Andy Mac, #33.  I'm going to give that a go.

Thanks all.
josc1

Post by josc1 »

I was just about to post something similar when I spotted this thread.

I played a lot of original WitP many moons ago, including several PBEM games with work colleagues. But RL events stopped me playing soon after AE came on the scene. I want to get back into WitP AE, but the playground has moved on a lot. I fully intend to get back to PBEM, so want to dabble with a variant/scenario that may not be a good AI opponent but will be accepted for a good PBEM game.

Should have said, I prefer playing Japan. [:D]

I've read a lot of the threads and RA sounds good. Can someone give me a quick pointer to everything I need to set up RA to play. There is mention of extended maps and other components.

Thanks
josc1

Post by josc1 »

Thank you Jorge
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

I've searched some more and found another by Andy Mac, #33.  I'm going to give that a go.

Thanks all.

I suggest you go straight to scenario #100. Scenario #33 was an earlier version of scenario #100.
morphin

Post by morphin »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Thanks all.

I suggest you go straight to scenario #100. Scenario #33 was an earlier version of scenario #100.

Your are sure? I thought that 100 only the jap AI is modified, and 33 the Allied AI and Jap AI....

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”