Southern Storm

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

tbridges

Southern Storm

Post by tbridges »

How about some more info about SS now that you're full into it? What theaters will be covered? North Africa, Italy, Sicily? What years will be covered? How long are you planning for its development? Six months, a year, or...?

What else can you reveal to really get our mouths watering? [:'(]

Tom

The easy way is always mined...
CapnDarwin

RE: Southern Storm

Post by CapnDarwin »

Southern Storm is still Cold War based Central Europe in the 80s. Adding in 4 new countries to the mix (Canada, France, East Germany, and Czechoslovakia). Beyond that we will be looking to add and improve a number of features we've talked about over the past year or so of Red Storm work. We will start to talk a bit more about things soon and we want to start a designer blog over on our website to highlight some of those new items as we move forward. As for release timing, when it's done and ready. [:D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
tbridges

Post by tbridges »

Cool, but why is it called Southern Storm?
Tom

The easy way is always mined...
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Southern Germany/Europe Front. We will look at other areas after release like the North (Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Poland) and even some talk of an Arctic Storm with Sweden, Norway and Finland, but that's all talk right now. Plus we want to hit other places (Med/Mid-East, Far East, etc.) and times (WW2, modern, and other cold war decades). Just going to take some time to get there. [8D]

kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Darn. So you never hired interns to convert the database and model over to WWII. Well there is always next summer. But you know how nature abhors a vacuum. What did Georgie say? "A good plan violently executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week." [;)] Of course I am biased toward WWII and it shows.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Southern Germany/Europe Front. We will look at other areas after release like the North (Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Poland) and even some talk of an Arctic Storm with Sweden, Norway and Finland, but that's all talk right now. Plus we want to hit other places (Med/Mid-East, Far East, etc.) and times (WW2, modern, and other cold war decades). Just going to take some time to get there. [8D]
I would absolutely love Arctic Storm. Not that many wargames that take place in Sweden. Turn "talk" into "action" - please [:)]
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Darn. So you never hired interns to convert the database and model over to WWII.

The team has gone from 2 to our current 6. I would say we are aware of how to build a team. Interns not withstanding! [8D]

Well there is always next summer. But you know how nature abhors a vacuum. What did Georgie say? "A good plan violently executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week." [;)]

George was talking about actual warfare not games based on it. We have a really good plan or two, trust me on this - I've seen the plans, but they need much more work before you would think they should be executed.

Of course I am biased toward WWII and it shows.

You are with some very good company including the design team. We will move the game series out to encompass more time frames. God willing and the creek don't rise. It just takes time when you have guys that do this in their spare time. Everything takes time.[8D]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

I initially thought Southern Storm was to be the Med front and southern europe................[:D]
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Southern Storm is still Cold War based Central Europe in the 80s. Adding in 4 new countries to the mix (Canada, France, East Germany, and Czechoslovakia). Beyond that we will be looking to add and improve a number of features we've talked about over the past year or so of Red Storm work. We will start to talk a bit more about things soon and we want to start a designer blog over on our website to highlight some of those new items as we move forward. As for release timing, when it's done and ready. [:D]

No Polish forces?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

As stated above, Poland will be added with the Northern Storm expansion after Southern is launched.

Akmatov

Post by Akmatov »

SS will be an insta buy as I was stationed in Bavaria around that time. 😊
Enigma6584

Post by Enigma6584 »

Anything you guys make is an instant buy from me.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

What unit were you assigned to Akmatov?

Thanks for the support. We appreciate all of you as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Is SS an addon/DLC to the main FPC or a completely new game ?
Will all maps and features of FPC still exist in SS ?
Thanks
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Southern Storm will be a completely new game. Much of the engine is being rewritten and many new features are being added. The plan is to eventually adapt Red Storm maps and scenarios to Southern Storm, but we don't know how that will look (and its possibilities) until we are finished with Southern Storm. Southern Strom should have the look and feel of Red Storm but with many improvements and additions.
Charles Belva
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: cbelva

Southern Storm will be a completely new game. Much of the engine is being rewritten and many new features are being added. The plan is to eventually adapt Red Storm maps and scenarios to Southern Storm, but we don't know how that will look (and its possibilities) until we are finished with Southern Storm. Southern Strom should have the look and feel of Red Storm but with many improvements and additions.
Thanks for these precisions. :-)
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Looking forward to the chance to play as the Canadians! Keep up the great work!
Mike

Retired Gunner
edmuel

Post by edmuel »

Coming late to the party having just picked up Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm Player's Edition.

I hope that I'm reading correctly that Southern Storm will cover the US VII Corps area of operations (wheras FCRS is basically V Corps). If so, I would love to see some scenarios with the US 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment (my old outfit in the early 80s).

Best,
Ed M
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Southern Storm will follow the pattern set by Red Storm. There will be scenarios included that will be based on all the major combat units in the area included in the scenario/campaign set.

How could we possibly do a series of fights that take place in the US VII Corps area and not include clashes involving the 2nd ACR? Not happening. They will be front and center in the action.

Good Hunting.

MR

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”