THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rio Bravo

RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J)

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]August 9, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

El Lobo bombed Chungking. He is a pyromaniac.

Synopsis of Combat Action for Today

El Lobo bombed Chungking. He is a pyromaniac.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for August 9, 1943 with the only action being El Lobo causing a quarter million fires in Chungking.

Best Regards,

-Terry
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(4.26 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]August 10, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

10,001 Chinese AV scrounge for rats within a level 5 fort at Chungking.

1.) Japanese deliberately attack near Chungking and destroy the 35th Chinese Corps.

2.) Japanese deliberately attack near Tsuyung. The battle was a tie, both sides suffering minimal casualties, and the Chinese held their turf.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for August 10, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

How are the Oil fields of Indonesia doing? You ever hit them or just lightly?
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
CaptHaggard

Post by CaptHaggard »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Rusty,

Up to now, the oil fields of Indonesia have encountered no impediment to production on our account, so we can presume they are doing just dandy. [8D]

Ironically, everything we are doing now in massive preparation is to shut the oil supply spigot off completely and suddenly. ON, OFF. Boom just like that.[:D]

Put differently, we're set to put the cork in the bottle. Hence,

Operation BOTTLE: the coming invasion of Formosa;

Operation CORK: the simultaneous invasion of the Pescadores;

Subsequent to these invasions, SS OPS will concentrate 24/7 on impeding transit through the gaps between Marianas and Formosa.

Rio's plan from Turn One has been focused on nullifying the oil fields...

Great to hear from you!

Hag
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Rusty-

The Allies haven't had any left-over assets to give the Indonesia oil fields hell as every toothbrush bought or stolen was dedicated to the Invasion of the four southern Marianas Islands and now are dedicated in preparations to invade Takao and Pescadores as near as possible to October 1, 1943.

As Captain Haggard indicated, the Allies have planned from day one to initiate a naval blockade of Japan Proper commencing January 1, 1944. To that end the four southern Marianas Islands were captured, Takao and Pescadores are next on the hit list, and the Allies will move to secure the islands running west from Guam to my girlfriend Taluad-Elanden, south from Formosa, and north from Saipan to Marcus Island. The idea is to sink any Japanese vessel that enters the Philippine or china Seas in an effort to get anything to Japan.

It should be fun as if we are successful capturing Takao and Pescadores or either of those two bases, then El Lobo's Kamikazes will become active on January 1, 1944.

Welcome back to The War College, Rusty.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]August 11, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

Operation Stockpile is proceeding on schedule to depart Pearl Harbor on August 15, 1943 for the purposes of landing additional ground forces, aircraft, fuel, and supply at the four southern Marianas Islands in preparation for the upcoming invasion of Pescadores and Takao, Formosa. All ground forces have boarded transports, 56 of 79 aircraft squadrons have been lifted onto transports, over 650,000 supply has been loaded onto transports, and close to 500,000 fuel has been loaded onto AOs and tankers.

Operation Stockpile's massive fleet is anticipated to arrive at the Marianas Islands on or about September 1, 1943. It is difficult to determine precisely how long it will take to unload the ground forces and 79 aircraft squadrons. As soon as everything is unloaded that is staying at the Marianas Islands, Operations Bottle and Cork (the simultaneous invasions of Pescadores and Takao, Formosa) will commence to load all the U.S.M.C. and U.S. Army ground forces along with numerous supporting U.S. Navy engineers of all type.

The Allies are hoping to be able to hit the beaches at Pescadores and Takao on or about October 1, 1943.

1.) The Pyro Maniac El Lobo bombed Chungking once again today.

2.) The Allies shock attacked near Toungoo to close another hex-side to the Japanese. The battle results favored the Japanese. However, casualties were minimal on both sides.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for August 11, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: Rio Bravo

Rusty-

The Allies haven't had any left-over assets to give the Indonesia oil fields hell as every toothbrush bought or stolen was dedicated to the Invasion of the four southern Marianas Islands and now are dedicated in preparations to invade Takao and Pescadores as near as possible to October 1, 1943.

As Captain Haggard indicated, the Allies have planned from day one to initiate a naval blockade of Japan Proper commencing January 1, 1944. To that end the four southern Marianas Islands were captured, Takao and Pescadores are next on the hit list, and the Allies will move to secure the islands running west from Guam to my girlfriend Taluad-Elanden, south from Formosa, and north from Saipan to Marcus Island. The idea is to sink any Japanese vessel that enters the Philippine or china Seas in an effort to get anything to Japan.

It should be fun as if we are successful capturing Takao and Pescadores or either of those two bases, then El Lobo's Kamikazes will become active on January 1, 1944.

Best Regards,

-Terry

I understand and appreciate the wisdom of this strategy. It was what the US Navy wanted to do originally.

My only question/concern is that doing this in August/September of '43. Currently in my game, 6/43, I know I wouldn't have the LBA to enforce this blockade given how strong the IJ Airforce is at this period. You'll have to go back to Pearl after the invasion and than he'll pummel you from China. Or have you so destroyed him in the air his plane losses and pilot quality isn't a concern to you?

Just doing a Red Team analysis.
CaptHaggard

Post by CaptHaggard »

Rusty-

Best Regards,

-Terry

I understand and appreciate the wisdom of this strategy. It was what the US Navy wanted to do originally.

My only question/concern is that doing this in August/September of '43. Currently in my game, 6/43, I know I wouldn't have the LBA to enforce this blockade given how strong the IJ Airforce is at this period. You'll have to go back to Pearl after the invasion and than he'll pummel you from China. Or have you so destroyed him in the air his plane losses and pilot quality isn't a concern to you?

Rusty—

It's beyond my pay-grade for me to give you a comprehensive reply, best left to Rio—but I thought I'd acknowledge your logical trepidation.

Essentially, the invasions—and give us, for the sake of argument, the successful conquering of Pescadores and Formosa—does not indicate that we are underestimating Lobo's ability to bring to bear an extraordinary amount of assets into this campaign. And it's right in his sweet-spot, too.

However, I think Rio's main idea is Chinese survival—to draw assets currently attacking Chungking (and Burma) to this battle.

We recognize that for the immediate future, the Cork will not seal the Bottle. He might crack the bottle, even break it, and steal our cork to boot.

But what has been an unimpeded flow of life-blood to the HI will now be under heavy pressure. Over 100 SS will operate in the shipping lanes of the Philippine, South China and East China Seas; large CV TFs and surface squadrons will cruise the waters between Guam and Pescadores.

KB will come out. At that juncture, I personally will be pretty comfortable that we can hold our own...

HOWEVER, you hit the nail on the head.... it's the LBA onslaught from 20 surrounding airfields that has me currently drinking a nice pinot from down the road and maybe not stopping there...[:'(]

Thank you, Rusty

Hag
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Rusty-

Best Regards,

-Terry

Rusty-

As you have astutely noted, the Allies anticipate that El Lobo will order a substantial number of fighters and bombers to converge and attack Pescadores and Takao. I agree that the Japanese Air Force will be overwhelming.

Initially, the Allies intend to counter El Lobo's Air Force as follows:

-When the Operation Bottle and Cork Invasions fleets leave Pescadores and Takao, 100 Hellcats and close to 60 Helldivers will be left on Pescadores and 100 Hellcats and close to 60 Helldivers will be left on Takao.

-Each base will have two CD units.

-Takao will have 16 Marine Corps Defense Battalions.

-Pescadores will have 8 AA units.

-Each base will have numerous engineer units of every type.

The Hellcats and the anti-aircraft guns will hopefully take a significant toll on El Lobo's Air Force.

The engineers should be able to repair damaged Allied aircraft and the bases runways almost as fast as El Lobo can damage those runways.

Operation John B. Hood is presently scheduled to land six plus U.S. Army Divisions with tank and other support on the southern coast of China on or about November 1, 1943 and these ground forces will push north. Hopefully, a few of El Lobo's airbases in China will be lost to him.

Lastly, the Allies have expended substantial Political Points to change the restricted commands of LBA aircraft. After the Operation Stockpile Fleet unloads, the four southern Marianas Islands will have close to 500 LBA fighters and close to 110 LBNA bombers. Approximately 50% of the fighters (primarily Corsairs and Spitfires) will be transported to Pescadores and Takao as soon as possible, perhaps with the Bottle and Cork Invasion Fleets (not sure about this yet as initially the captured bases may not be a able to support these additional fighters). Further, as soon as possible, a few squadrons of carrier capable Dauntless Dive Bombers and Avenger Torpedo Bombers will be sent to Pescadores and Takao.

The Allied plan is not without considerable risk (one being the dread that El Lobo will send Bombardment Task Forces to bombard Pescadores and Takao).

However, speed is of the essence. The Chinese need support from the U.S. Army and the Chinese need supply. Further, it is critical to implement the blockade of Japan Proper on or about January 1, 1944 to strangle Japan's economy.

The Allies are ready to fight. The fight may as well be in El Lobo's backyard. The fight will no doubt be bloody.

Wish us luck! *chuckling*

Best Regards,

-Terry

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]August 12, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

Captain Haggard's submarines are probing the Bonin Islands to give El Lobo the impression that the next major Allied invasion will be the Bonin Islands. The Japanese have spotted Captain Haggard's submarines off the coast of the Bonin Islands. Tomorrow, from Guam and Saipan, long-range Allied Recon aircraft will Recon Iwo Jima.

Synopsis of Combat Events for Today

1.) Japanese E Boats hit SS S-45 twice off the coast of Iwo Jima.

2.) Emperor Pyro Maniac started hundreds of thousands of fires at Chungking. The Chinese are running out of water to put out all the fires. The Chinese are hoping for a heavy snowfall in the Himalayas come winter.

3.) Japanese deliberately attacked near Chengtu destroying one Chinese unit. The Chinese held their turf; barely.

4.) Japanese deliberately attacked near Tsuyung. Both sides received minimal casualties and the Chinese held their turf.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for August 12, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Obviously, you've thought this out, but I have a few questions.
1. How much of his surface fleet, primarily BBs, remain?
2. How many CVs remain?

One bad BB bombardment and you're in trouble.

What scenario are you playing?
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

He will unload on you...he has to. LBA would be my biggest concern....along with hideous bombardment. All his BBs are intact and are close for reloading. I didn't check but is Guam/etc close enough to ferry replacement planes by air? If it's not you should grab something easy in the Phillipines. You certainly don't want to run a regular gauntlet to get fresh planes in there.
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Obviously, you've thought this out, but I have a few questions.
1. How much of his surface fleet, primarily BBs, remain?
2. How many CVs remain?

One bad BB bombardment and you're in trouble.

What scenario are you playing?

Rusty-

I am not exactly sure how much of his surface fleet remains in tact. The "Sunk Ships" Report indicates that a Carrier and Battleship have been sunk. Captain Haggard's submarines have engaged two of his carriers and two of his battleships and the Combat Reports heavy damage for all four.

I agree, my biggest fear is bombardment by his surface combat ships. I am not concerned about damage to the troops nor the port nor airbases as numerous Allied Engineers will repair any damage very quickly. However, the bombardment could sure wipe-out a heap of Hellcats and Helldivers.

Captain Haggard is going to attempt to lay mines, make some PT Boats at the bases, and have his submarines patrolling, and then there are the two CD guns for each base. Still, it is likely his bombardment task forces will get through and take a toll on Allied aircraft. Wish Takao had an inland base.

We are playing the Standard Campaign Scenario Number 2.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

He will unload on you...he has to. LBA would be my biggest concern....along with hideous bombardment. All his BBs are intact and are close for reloading. I didn't check but is Guam/etc close enough to ferry replacement planes by air? If it's not you should grab something easy in the Phillipines. You certainly don't want to run a regular giant let to get fresh planes in there.

pontiouspilot-

Yes, El Lobo will no doubt have an overwhelming LBA force attacking the Invasion Fleet and the bases.

He will have to fight his way through 556 hellcats and 212 Wildcats set at layered elevations for each range (i.e, Cap, LRCAP at 1 and 2). El Lobo might get through with some dive bombers, but he will pay a heavy toll in lost pilots for so doing.

If El Lobo also attacks the bases, he will face a formidable display of anti-aircraft guns.

My gravest concern is surface combat ship bombardment.

I am not expecting a Church Social. *laughing*

Guam is 38 hexes away.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

That leaves 9 BBs and about a dozen CAs to form 3-4 BB TFs that continue to shuttle to bombard your airfields. he will not only destroy/damage aircraft he will also lower their morale as he preps troops to retake lost bases by landing at other bases of Formosa and then isolate the Pescadores, because he will fight to the death here. This might a two landings too far.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Got to Agree with Bif1961. Lobo didn't respond properly to your last successful operation. He'll use his fighters/FBs to strafe the hell out of the PT boats so you really can't count on them to protect your islands from bombardment.

And yeah, you're going to get bombarded nightly by 3 or 4 BBs. Yes, you'll repair those fields quickly at first, but as each Bombardment passes your AAA and Engineers will be so disrupted they won't be able to effectively shoot down the Jap airplanes (AAA) and repair the facilities quickly (Eng). He'll also sweep the mines you lay.

Lots of destroyed Hellcats and tons of damaged planes on those two bases.

CaptHaggard

Post by CaptHaggard »

Bif & Rusty—

Well, now that you put it that way...[X(]

It's going to be dicey. Right now Rio is taking his turn (at least he said so over the phone) and he seemed in pretty good spirits.

Recon over the Bonins sighted at least 2 CVs and 4-6 BBs. My SS are darting in and out around them and dodging heat (hate the Jills and Judys having freebie shots like this, but what can I do); all this to give the impression that's where we're going next. Many LBA as well.

Are these indications that Lobo's perhaps buying it?

It seems quite possible that when Rio feints north from Guam toward the Bonins with the entire tantalizing Task Force Group, KB is going to come out to play.

Good. Let's get that cock-fight over with.

But whether he does or doesn't send KB out, Rio's subsequent abrupt left-turn will confound him, we hope.

Then, admittedly, we enter hell.

(NOT to mitigate your analysis, but each port will have about 300+ mines, with ACMs. "Sunk" reports still indicate both Kaga and Junyo are sunk, as well as two BBs. I have NO idea how long FOW affects this list, but there it is, what? five weeks later?)

I would be interested, given Lobo's aerial determination in Burma and especially Chungking (many, many bombers), in hearing your opinion whether he will have to shift air asset from those places to attack Takao and Pescadores, or if he'll have enough from other sources locally or HI. A request quite unfair, since you obviously lack precise information—but just in general—do the Japanese in Scenario 2 have such a surfeit of AC that his airfields are packed everywhere?

Thank you, Gentlemen,

Hag

Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

I would assume the worst. With AFs in China connected to RR he'll be able to throw fresh air units in daily.

I for one am looking foreward to this sanguine event.
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]August 13, 1943[/center]

Highlight for Today

As Captain Haggard mentioned, aerial and submarine recon indicates that El Lobo does think that the next Allied Invasion will be the Bonin Islands.

El Lobo has the following assets at the following Bonin Islands:

Chichi-Jima

Ground Forces: 20 units; 42,460 troops; 279 guns; and 106 AFV.

Aircraft: 84 fighters; 10 bombers; and 29 auxiliary.

Ships in Port: 63, 1 xAKL; 3 xAK; 3PT; and 3 PB.

Ships in TFs at Port: 34; 2 CV; 1 CA; 1 CL; and 3 DD.

Iwo-Jima

Ground Forces: 19 units; 34,000 Troops; 434 guns; and 58 AFV.

Aircraft: 76 fighters; 52 bombers; and 75 auxiliary.

Ships in Port: 16; 1 TK; 2 xAK; 2 CA; 3 CL; and 1 DD.

Ships in TFs at Port: 36; 2 BBs; 1 SC; and 1 DD.

Tomorrow the Allies will recon Haha-Jima.

Synopsis of Combat Events for Today

1.) It is not difficult to find Chungking at night. Hundreds of thousands of fires light the city.

2.) Allies deliberately attacked near Pegu (hex 56,52). The Allies won the battle destroying one Japanese unit; both sides received relatively minimal casualties.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for August 13, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(7.24 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Bifi and Rusty

Your comments are appreciated and well taken.

Unless El Lobo is able to get a substantial part of his ground forces out of Burma and to Formosa prior to the Allies reinforcing the U.S. Marines that will land at Takao, I believe that El Lobo will not be able to shove the Marines off of Formosa nor isolate Pescadores.

The noose is getting very tight around the vast majority of El Lobo's troops in Burma. El Lobo has approximately 220,000 troops just south of Toungoo. If he does move these troops further south quickly, these troops, over fifteen Infantry Divisions supported by tanks and other troops, will be isolated and unable to move out of the hex they presently occupy. It is a close foot race.

As both of you have concluded, my gravest fear too is El Lobo's Surface Combat Bombardment Task Forces. Will the Helldivers fly at night and attack these Bombardment Task Forces? Would Dauntless Dive Bombers and Avenger Torpedo Bombers fly at night and attack the Bombardment Task Forces?

Best Regards,

-Terry

Return to “After Action Reports”