The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MakeeLearn

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: jwolf

MakeeLearn: you replaced the Indifferent by the Ugly. Bad form. [;)]

‘Il Buono, il Brutto e il Cattivo’: The Good, the Ugly and the Bad,

Attachments
poster1.jpg
poster1.jpg (105.64 KiB) Viewed 41 times

JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

"Il Buono, il Brutto e il Cattivo" Is Greyjoy back?
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Up there as one of the greatest films ever, with a stunning score.

Its one of those films that I always watch when its on.

1275psi

Post by 1275psi »

Greatest gunfight eva!!!!!!

Oh, and yes, from experience, the A bomb is very, very overrated.......
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The soundtrack is one of my favorites. I think these are my favorites: The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Gettysburg, Doctor Zhivago, The Lord of the Rings, The Sound of Music, Inception and Interstellar.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Less movies and more bombing, please![;)]

I liked the the Lord of the Rings soundtrack from the Ralph Bakshi (?) animated movie from the late 70s.

Found it for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DvOMd ... 0ogL7MVywW
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Over the past few months, John's enthusiasm has ebbed and flowed with the changing tides of fortune in the game.

The last really good moment he had was sinking four small carriers near Luganville perhaps about 10 weeks ago. Prior to that it was his counterinvasion of Celebes in late winter. In both cases, I contended that his successes were outweighed by the costs incurred, an argument I think was confirmed. For instance, when KB was in SoPac sinking those carriers, Death Star was handling the invasion of Coastal China. The absence of KB made my job easier and probably resulted in far less points lost than would've been the case had John contested the China expedition.

Going back to before China, on the occasion that Death Star first approached Formosa, John alerted me via email that I'd regret coming any further. Since then, DS has circumnavigated Formosa many times without Japan doing anything about it.

More recently, when our House Rule prohibiting night bombing expired on August 15, 1944, John wrote that "now the gloves come off." But nothing happened.

He got pretty excited about his counteroffensive in coastal China. Turn-flipping increased for the first time since the Celebes operation. He would email requesting turns as he was "interested in seeing developments." He referred to his overall strategy as an "Operation Market Garden." He thought he had a decent part of the Allied army bottled up and in a position to be destroyed. None of that happened.

He has conserved Victory Points by keeping KB out of harm's way, and he's kept me honest in utilizing my LOC to resupply Luzon and points forward....at cost of barely opposing Allied advances from the DEI to Luzon to China to Formosa. I don't think conserving VPs is a viable strategy if it just postpones the risking of those assets until a time when the circumstances are less favorable. That's probably what's happening here.

John still has a stout navy, army and air force. But he's surrendered too much valuable ground without putting up reasonable resistance. I'm within range for a sustained strategic bombing campaign and no longer distracted by more pressing needs for my 4EB. From now on, I'll focus on the air war while cleaning up important areas in the rear.

What will be most interesting is to see how and when John uses his carriers.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Looks like they will see action in postwar Godzilla movies.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I believe John will ultimately choose to fight. (And my words may set me up for a very public embarrassment soon for reasons I'll go into in about three or four turns.)

But what if the game ended this way: John keeps KB out of harm's way forever, conserving VPs while working hard to pick off the occasional Allied asset here and there; meanwhile, the strategic war increases dramatically with the Allies scoring tens of thousands of points while also attending to Japanese bases in the DEI...and ultimately the Allies achieve a 2:1 victory points ratio without anything else major happening in the game. Say that happens in June 1945. Would that be a Japanese victory of some kind because KB still existed and the Empire still existed in some form and fashion? Would it be an Allied victory because the Allies figured out how to win the game as defined by the rules?

John probably will fight, so I don't think that's going to happen. But it is one possibility.
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I believe John will ultimately choose to fight. (And my words may set me up for a very public embarrassment soon for reasons I'll go into in about three or four turns.)

But what if the game ended this way: John keeps KB out of harm's way forever, conserving VPs while working hard to pick off the occasional Allied asset here and there; meanwhile, the strategic war increases dramatically with the Allies scoring tens of thousands of points while also attending to Japanese bases in the DEI...and ultimately the Allies achieve a 2:1 victory points ratio without anything else major happening in the game. Say that happens in June 1945. Would that be a Japanese victory of some kind because KB still existed and the Empire still existed in some form and fashion? Would it be an Allied victory because the Allies figured out how to win the game as defined by the rules?

John probably will fight, so I don't think that's going to happen. But it is one possibility.

In my opinion, any game that ends with strategic victory before the historical end date of the war is a total victory. Because most of the games are variant scenarios that may be unrealistic though.
DW

Post by DW »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Or, glowing at Bikini atoll...
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Very good![:D][&o]

I am more interested in seeing what CR has up his sleeve, if indeed he turns to the SRA and high vp bases like PM, etc., while pursuing a strategic bombing campaign...well, that doesn't seem to live up to the hints he has been dropping.

To me it seems far more likely he strikes at the islands around Hokkaido or pursue a deep strike into Korea/Yellow Sea bases.

However I haven't seen any big maps of the area so I am just guessing. But I do know that SigInt will give him all the intel he needs to launch such an invasion with a very high degree of success.

With the KB known and in and around the SRA a strike at the other end of the Empire seems entirely feasible. However, there are so many ways to skin the cat here at the end...
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

If John makes June of 1945 before autovic I call it a Japanese win, despite the huge amount of shipping he got.

It is my belief CR has it well within his ability to autovic prior to Mar 1, 1945. In fact I think Jan 1 1945 is doable.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

If John makes June of 1945 before autovic I call it a Japanese win, despite the huge amount of shipping he got.

It is my belief CR has it well within his ability to autovic prior to Mar 1, 1945. In fact I think Jan 1 1945 is doable.

Isn't that the definition of....the opposite of a win? [:'(]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Quite frankly if the Japanese player has a lot of BBs and carriers left in 1945 then fuel becomes a very serious issue. Using that fleet may eat up fuel needed for other late war production needs and Japan may collapse even faster than they should. Just speculating but they do guzzle the gas..

That aside I do not really even pay attention to VP because there are ways for both players to manipulate them. What would be the historical benefit of the Japanese striving to hide and protect their fleet until the end of the war? There is no historical basis for that. The war ends with Japan's surrender and what, they get a cookie because they have ships left? [8|] In my campaigns I never look at VP. I will know at the end if I won or lost.

You have to remember that due to it's massive size, play-testing this game for VP balance was virtually impossible.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Less movies and more bombing, please![;)]

I liked the the Lord of the Rings soundtrack from the Ralph Bakshi (?) animated movie from the late 70s.

Found it for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DvOMd ... 0ogL7MVywW

Where there's a whip whii*chaa there's a way...
where there's a whip whii*chaa there's a way...
where there's a whip - we don't wanna go to war today... but the lord of the lash says hey hey hey!!!!

Were gonna fight all day all day all day...
for where there's a whip there's a way, left right left right

hahahah i still remember that song from the animated LOTR.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Um the war ends when the Allies nuke Japan and force the Emperor to go on air and admit defeat.

So... you must nuke Japan or else the Allies lose. [:D]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

9/22/44

Lots of movement taking place - increasing friction that may lead to a sudden release of energy here or there.

Attachments
092244P..wSEAC.jpg
092244P..wSEAC.jpg (852.09 KiB) Viewed 43 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Um the war ends when the Allies nuke Japan and force the Emperor to go on air and admit defeat.

You sure want to see an A-bomb used ... are you Kim Jong Un? [X(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

You sure want to see an A-bomb used ... are you Kim Jong Un? [X(]

Well I have this thing... in every computer game I've played, if it includes the possible use of a nuclear bomb... well.. using the nuke becomes my goal. I play the game towards getting and using the nuclear weapon. I don't know why, it's just something I think I did in the first game I had the chance to do so, and so it became one of my gaming obsessions :) nothing game me greater pleasure in Fallout 3 then nuking Megaton.

Return to “After Action Reports”