Axis Rebuild Rail

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

jzardos

Axis Rebuild Rail

Post by jzardos »

It might be the scenario (BotB), but how do the Germans build back rail lines that are destroyed in territory they take (100% damaged)?

thanks
Denniss

RE: Axis Rebuild Rail

Post by Denniss »

BotB ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
morvael

Post by morvael »

Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

I assumed this + further assume it'S Bulge to the Rhine scenario. There's no manually controllable repair unit for Axis player so the only hope are the automated repair Bns.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Well I see these units show up on the map at the start of turns, very very few ever. However, they don't do crap and the lines stay at 100% damage. So I'm thinking it's just bugged and at this point probably won't get fixed. It's too bad, ruined my game IMO. Oh well, sooner or later all games like this show their issues.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Going to have to edit the darn scenario and add rail repair units. Will do the COURTESY to myself to TEST this before I start another scenario and get 10 turns deep. Thank god for an editor.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Please state the game version you are using.
Do you have a save to upload for bug ckecking ?
Ho far away from enemy units are these rail lines?

Have you tried the old trick from WitE to assign all construction Bns to your highest HQ (OKW I assume or nearby Army Group HQ) to have them send out construction Bns ?
-> Requires locking support for this HQ so they are not sent back down the chain to lower HQs.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Can you post a save or email one to 2by3@2by3games.com that shows German rail hexes not being repaired. Ideally a save just before the German turn so I can run through a logistics phase, and one after the fact showing repair units on the map not doing anything. IIRC, auto rail repair won't happen withing a set range of enemy units (can't remember if it's 3 or 5 hexes). Maybe the units are repairing railyards or some other infrastructure and not the rails, but I won't know without looking at a save, so getting saves would be very helpful. Thanks.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Thanks for the response Joel. I will check again, it might be the range. But according to 14.2.7.1. Automatic Rail Line Repair in the living rules, it only mentions the automatic repair battalions won't repair next to adjacent enemy units. Unless this is someplace else in the rules.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Will 'Fortress Construction Battalions' help fix rail or only 'Construction Battalions'. Although not in the scenario, what about 'Italian Labor Battalions'?

thanks
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Looks like the 'Fortress Construction Battalion' and 'Construction Battalion' are using the same TOE (222). So are they only different in name?
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

The Germans fixing any rail in the scenarios is broken and very disappointing to say the least. Have played to turn 20 and have 6 or more hexes deep (behind my lines) with no rail ever fixed in BotB scenario. My construction units, have moved around HQs, but the rules say that at OKW they can reach 90 hexes. About 10 of them have been sitting in OKW doing nothing. That's wonderful. Thanks for wasting my time WitW. Done with this game until WitE comes out, maybe it will Germans fixing rail will be fixed by then. Seemed to work fine in WitE, but not WitW (newer engine but broke). oh well...

Can even use editor because the Germans don't have any rail fixing HQs (units) in WitW like WitE. Another mystery.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

In editor look for an OB named Eisenbahn - this should be the OB used for FBD-like units
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

In editor look for an OB named Eisenbahn - this should be the OB used for FBD-like units

Really. Wow. cool thanks Denniss. You are one of my favorite on this forum. WitE and WitW owes so much to you. Probably won't have bought either if it had not been for all the work you have done. Others too, understand.
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

Denniss,

Found it. What units and how many should be attached to it to be able to repair rail? Is it like WitE?

thanks
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

In WitW there are 5-6 RAD and construction units attached.
But no automatic rail repair is clearly a bug so please send a save to Joel for investigation and fix
jzardos

Post by jzardos »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

In WitW there are 5-6 RAD and construction units attached.
But no automatic rail repair is clearly a bug so please send a save to Joel for investigation and fix

Will do

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”