The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Lowpe »

When Johnny Comes Marching Home...by the Andrew Sisters. Not a very southern version...but has an upbeat tempo to take your mind off no turns.[:)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38Tatijd4o
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

9/10/44

The Japanese are jockeying for position in Indochina and China. The Allies are two days away from attacking at Takao.

Attachments
091044P..wSEAC.jpg
091044P..wSEAC.jpg (838.98 KiB) Viewed 120 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Oops, duplicate post. So I'll use this for something exciting later.

Edited several days later to add: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xmfLHXiAhA

Jean Shepherd in that role? Paulette Goddard???? Lana Turner?

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Intelligence Screen

Attachments
091044I..eScreen.jpg
091044I..eScreen.jpg (392.05 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

An aside on VPs. If you're short of troops all you have to do to reduce his VPs in a big way is bombard away his supply on this or that island. Given his situation I doubt he can resupply them. You don't need BB bombardments to hit supply dumps. It's tedious, but it's a fair bit of VPs on the table.

From the Victory Conditions:

Control of Base - Each base has a basic VP level for Allied ownership and one for Japanese
ownership. The final victory point value that is awarded to the controlling player at the end of
the game is figured by the following formula:
»» Basic VP# x [ ( current size of port ) + ( current size of airfield x 2) ]
The basic VP and final VP numbers for each side are displayed for each base when the mouse
cursor is placed over a base (the basic VP number value is in parenthesis).

This full amount of the final VP value is only scored at the end of the game if the base has
supplies at least equal to its needed supplies. If supplies are lower than the required amount,
the VP’s scored will be less than this maximum, (the lower the supplies the lower the scored
VP’s). Bases with 0 supplies would score 25% of the full final points.

Example: Rabaul has a Basic Japanese VP level of 3. Assuming the size of the airfield is 8, and
the size of the port is 7, the Final VP level for Japanese ownership of Rabaul is 3 x [ (7) + (8 x
2) ] or 69. As long as Rabaul had more than its supplies needed, the Japanese player would
score 69. If Rabaul’s supplies were only equal to 30% of its needs, the Japanese player would
score only 33 VP’s.
The Moose
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

An aside on VPs. If you're short of troops all you have to do to reduce his VPs in a big way is bombard away his supply on this or that island. Given his situation I doubt he can resupply them. You don't need BB bombardments to hit supply dumps. It's tedious, but it's a fair bit of VPs on the table.

From the Victory Conditions:

Control of Base - Each base has a basic VP level for Allied ownership and one for Japanese
ownership. The final victory point value that is awarded to the controlling player at the end of
the game is figured by the following formula:
»» Basic VP# x [ ( current size of port ) + ( current size of airfield x 2) ]
The basic VP and final VP numbers for each side are displayed for each base when the mouse
cursor is placed over a base (the basic VP number value is in parenthesis).

This full amount of the final VP value is only scored at the end of the game if the base has
supplies at least equal to its needed supplies. If supplies are lower than the required amount,
the VP’s scored will be less than this maximum, (the lower the supplies the lower the scored
VP’s). Bases with 0 supplies would score 25% of the full final points.

Example: Rabaul has a Basic Japanese VP level of 3. Assuming the size of the airfield is 8, and
the size of the port is 7, the Final VP level for Japanese ownership of Rabaul is 3 x [ (7) + (8 x
2) ] or 69. As long as Rabaul had more than its supplies needed, the Japanese player would
score 69. If Rabaul’s supplies were only equal to 30% of its needs, the Japanese player would
score only 33 VP’s.

I was able to extend my game by running supplies into large bases like Rabaul at the end of my game...made quite a few posts about how to do it as Japan in my AAR vs Tiemanj.[:)]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I was able to extend my game by running supplies into large bases like Rabaul at the end of my game...made quite a few posts about how to do it as Japan in my AAR vs Tiemanj.[:)]

It depends if Japan has that fuel to spare. Ships to spare (xAKs are VPs too.) And if the Allies make it enough of a Whack a Mole game they can't keep up. This won't win, but it will bleed Japan.
The Moose
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

For the Long Riders of the Pacific.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ8JIa98kAw

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

9/11/44

Battle of Taihoku, Formosa: John opens the battle with a surprise deliberate attack that fails and likely opens the door to a quicker Allied victory here.

Attachments
091144B..Taihoku.jpg
091144B..Taihoku.jpg (306.25 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

9/11/44

Battle of Takao, Formosa: Will open tomorrow, with two of the four Allied divisions shock attacking.

Attachments
091144B..ofTakao.jpg
091144B..ofTakao.jpg (180.84 KiB) Viewed 120 times
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

As I suspected he would....he just can't not be killing something at all times.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Bad luck for the Japanese X2

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

9/11/44

Air Losses: These Tabby losses probably came over Formosa, but I don't know if they're inbound with supply or outbound with unit cadres.

Attachments
091144AirLosses.jpg
091144AirLosses.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 120 times
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Knowing John, it's probably a little of both.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

9/11/44

Peep Show II & SEAC: Tomorrow, with battles known and perhaps unknown (to me) will be an important day.

Attachments
091144P..ISEAC.jpg
091144P..ISEAC.jpg (609.91 KiB) Viewed 120 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

John had enough Intel from the prior battles on Formosa to know that a fairly quick outcome was assured. He took a shot at crushing an armored unit knowing he was only trading away a short amount of time holding that base. A decent gamble that lost little when it didn't pay off.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

If John's out of supply (or very low) so that he has no hope of holding Taihoku, then the attack was a gamble worth taking. If he has supply, and if he has some forts, then he might hold against two divisions for awhile; in that case, the attack wasn't a gamble worth taking. Since I don't have that information, I don't know the answer and can't judge the providence of the attack.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Regarding China and the Japanese units approaching your bases, in open terrain, you mentioned a while back that you agreed to a house rule of no 4EB ground attacks at non-base hexes. What was the rationale for that restriction -- if there was one?
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Strategic Bombers - Maybe there was a good Rita Haywood movie on last night! [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

If John's out of supply (or very low) so that he has no hope of holding Taihoku, then the attack was a gamble worth taking. If he has supply, and if he has some forts, then he might hold against two divisions for awhile; in that case, the attack wasn't a gamble worth taking. Since I don't have that information, I don't know the answer and can't judge the providence of the attack.
I see your calculus but how long could they have held even with some supply? Taihoku is on the coast and the terrain otherwise favors the attackers too. Most of the Allied forces from the rest of Formosa will be available sooner than previously expected because of the forward movement to Kagi, which left Takao severely weakened.

Return to “After Action Reports”