A B-17 keeps flying over my house

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

brian brian

A B-17 keeps flying over my house

Post by brian brian »

man this makes me want to play some World in Flames

It's Air Show season in the northern Hemisphere. My small town July 4th festival includes a visit by a restored B-17 at the local airport, a mile away as I type. They give rides for $450 / person - the vast majority of the price is for the Insurance.

I watched it take-off up close once but so far my visits to the airport have been frustrating. Since the airport is still open for small planes, every time one wants to land or take off everyone has to go back inside the building. And wait, and wait. When it takes off it taxis to the distant end of the airport and then sits there for 20 minutes while they check everything.

So I will just share a picture of the plane from Wikipedia.

I read a clickbait headline that only 1 in 60 people can identify a WWII aircraft. I didn't click and honestly I would be surprised it would be as high as 1-in-60.

I doubt there are many WWII planes left, in any country. If you get a chance to see one, I would give it a try.

Centuur

RE: A B-17 keeps flying over my house

Post by Centuur »

There are a lot of Dakota's still flying in the world (in the Netherlands we've got two flying around). The British still have a Lancaster flying and some Hurricanes and Spitfires too.

In Germany they have a couple of Ju-55's and at least 2 Stuka's that I know of which are still flying.

So they are there, but especially if you know that tens of thousands of planes were build in WW II, there isn't a lot flying around anymore...

Peter
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I read a clickbait headline that only 1 in 60 people can identify a WWII aircraft. I didn't click and honestly I would be surprised it would be as high as 1-in-60.
I believe it said only 1 in 60 can identify all these WW2 planes. I consider myself somewhat of a WW2 aircraft buff, did the quiz, and got one or two wrong. It was ridiculously hard. Some of the aircraft were incredibly esoteric stuff from Axis minors etc. I doubt if one in 600,000 could identify them all.

I've noticed a worrying trend that young people no longer seem to be able to reel off WW2 aircraft designations after a brief glimpse at a grainy photo taken from a weird angle. Nor are they spending endless hours getting high on the fumes from glue, paint and turpentine while building plastic aircraft models to hang from their bedroom ceiling with fishing line. Even in the Air Force I was teased for being an aircraft nerd [:'(]

Bah! In my day...grumble grumble...handful of cold gravel for breakfast...infested with rats!... [:-]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I believe it said only 1 in 60 can identify all these WW2 planes. I consider myself somewhat of a WW2 aircraft buff, did the quiz, and got one or two wrong. It was ridiculously hard. Some of the aircraft were incredibly esoteric stuff from Axis minors etc. I doubt if one in 600,000 could identify them all.

I've noticed a worrying trend that young people no longer seem to be able to reel off WW2 aircraft designations after a brief glimpse at a grainy photo taken from a weird angle. Nor are they spending endless hours getting high on the fumes from glue, paint and turpentine while building plastic aircraft models to hang from their bedroom ceiling with fishing line. Even in the Air Force I was teased for being an aircraft nerd [:'(]

Bah! In my day...grumble grumble...handful of cold gravel for breakfast...infested with rats!... [:-]

Cheers, Neilster

I searched for such test and, definitely, you are not talking about this one (which is ridiculously easy):

http://quizzes.howstuffworks.com/quiz/9 ... ge-can-you#!

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I almost cannot tell a stuka from a helicopter. [:D]
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you, Brian, for sharing. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Cheers, Neilster
warspite1

A great shame. Looking regularly at the pictures of ships, planes, tanks and maps in my dad's Purnell's History of the Second World War was one of the highlights of my pre-teen years (I was a young boy, I didn't actually read like the words and stuff [X(]).

It helped that I was an avid Airfix modeller too - and even though we couldn't afford many models to make, there was always poring over the catalogue [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

It helped that I was an avid Airfix modeller too - and even though we couldn't afford many models to make, there was always poring over the catalogue [:)]
I also read the catalogue over and over again. But then they begun charging to much for it. [:(]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I read of a crash a few months back, of a restored WWII aircraft - a Spitfire maybe?

I would say that the cat living here was most definitely NOT a fan of B-17 overflights.

I never did get to see the plane up-close, only from beyond a chain-link fence. Maybe next year. Maybe...
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

A great shame. Looking regularly at the pictures of ships, planes, tanks and maps in my dad's Purnell's History of the Second World War was one of the highlights of my pre-teen years (I was a young boy, I didn't actually read like the words and stuff ).

It helped that I was an avid Airfix modeller too - and even though we couldn't afford many models to make, there was always poring over the catalogue

Ahh...Purnell's History of the Second World War. I didn't discover them until my late teens, when I was able to pick virtually every copy up, and the later special editions, for a song from a second hand book shop. As a result, I did actually read the words and stuff [;)] They still stand up really well, except the Russian stuff is infected with Cold War Commie nonsense.

It was from an era where they assumed you know what's going on and weren't afraid to go into detail. The classic 70s documentary, The Secret War (which I managed to download) is in the same vein. It's really fast paced and thorough. Many modern WW2 (and WW1) documentaries have to hold your hand and explain that long ago there was a big war... [8|]

Re pouring over the catalogues; my younger brother and I loved that too. In a pre-internet age it was often a way to discover new military hardware. I can remember discovering the Mig 29 Fulcrum in one and thinking..."That must be a new Soviet fighter! And it looks sick!" [:)]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I have posted this before - but not in this forum I think. When I first saw this it brought a lump to my throat. One of those things that leave one transported back in time.... I remember 99% of those pictures like it was yesterday.

Is anyone old enough to remember when Series 1 kits used to come in a plastic bag with cardboard at the top?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGr-mfkNcYM

Attachments
Airfix_Rev..bb8be65e.jpg
Airfix_Rev..bb8be65e.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 206 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Spitfire IX in Johnnie Johnsons markings.
49 cents, now around $15.......

I used to buy a lot of FROG kits, wider range of aircraft.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Orm

Post by Orm »

This was the pride of my models built. Alas, she was lost when crashing down onto the floor.

Attachments
000.jpg
000.jpg (23.12 KiB) Viewed 206 times
lomyrin

Post by lomyrin »

Back in 48 as a 13 year old I had a dream summer job at Wentzels in Stockholm putting together balsa wood model airplane kits.
work rules and regulations were a little different then.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The 13 year olds I knew would have been in it for the glue.
Paul
lomyrin

Post by lomyrin »

We were able to buy ether and oils at the local apothecaries, every one knew it was for model airplane engine fuel. No one had any other uses for the stuff.
Drug problems had not yet started in Sweden at that time.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

All is not lost. I have a couple of nephews in whom I have inculcated a big interest in 20th Century military hardware. When I accidentally bought two copies of Helicopters of the Third Reich (which is excellent, BTW), one of them was happy to be gifted the spare. He also requested I make him a Dornier Do 335 Pfeil t-shirt for last Christmas [:)]

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
Do335_V9_07bf-s.jpg
Do335_V9_07bf-s.jpg (207.75 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Anybody else build a Horten Ho 229?

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
Ho229mod2.jpg
Ho229mod2.jpg (233.13 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Perhaps a Kyushu J7W1 Shinden (Magnificent Lightning)?

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
J7W1Shinden.jpg
J7W1Shinden.jpg (112.51 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Another favourite...The Mil-24 Hind.

Note: These images aren't of my actual models. Unfortunately they didn't survive Mum selling our house [:-]

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
Mil24Hindmod.jpg
Mil24Hindmod.jpg (148.77 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”