Axis Air in Blizzard

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

wga8888

Axis Air in Blizzard

Post by wga8888 »

I am in turn 31 of the first Winter (default winter). Should the German bombers all all Axis Air sit out the winter in the reserve does one attempt to use them at the front? My first as Axis. My game as Soviets in turn 29, I am finding Soviet air is only 1/3 as effective in turns of results and the number of planes that fly.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
No idea

RE: Axis Air in Blizzard

Post by No idea »

All I know is my airbases suffer a lot during the first winter. Not sure if they make any good when the russians attack during the first winter (days are so short in December that planes shouldnt make much difference as sorties should be few). It doesnt seem a bad idea to leave them all in reserve unitl March comes.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

In addition to penalties to not make sorties in bad weather, there are extra penalties (just like with AFVs) to leave more lost/damaged planes. But the biggest factor is that putting planes in national reserve releases lorries to the pool. Airbases with little or no planes need far fewer lorries. Putting those three things together and it could make sense to reduce bomber use in the bad weather compared to the clear.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

They are useful to transport supply During blizzard as ju 52 are Not enough
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: gmtello

They are useful to transport supply During blizzard as ju 52 are Not enough

You mean the bombers? With the penalties during first winter I am not sure if it is worth to have them at the airbases, considering the low amount of supplies they migt carry. Besides, they take a lot of trucks, as someone pointed.
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

A question about lorries. If an airbase is parked on a working railway, does it use any lorries at all, even in the blizzard ?
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, they are after all up to 5 miles from the railway...
But they will use and lose less trucks this way. I always try to keep my bases on rail, unless rail layout doesn't allow this (and when you advance a lot).
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I assumed there would also be some organic use of lorries on an airbase e.g shuttling fuel from protected dumps to beside the plane etc.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
morvael

Post by morvael »

If I remember code, it's assumed that trucks expend at least 5MP, even if the cost of movement from railhead is lower.

Return to “The War Room”