Whats the main differences beetween this and Gary`s WitE?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
jimhatama

Whats the main differences beetween this and Gary`s WitE?

Post by jimhatama »

Can someone explain in detail?
Fred98

RE: Whats the main differences beetween this and Gary`s WitE?

Post by Fred98 »

The wargame "War in the East" is set in only one place.

The wargame "TOAW" is set in any location around the world and time going back about 200 years
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Larry Fulkerson of this forum has extensively played both WitE and TOAW IV D21 (i.e. Barbarossa) and may be the best person to answer.

I purchased WitE when it came out and found it hard to get into. Only one theater and most of the "Road to Moscow" scenarios start on 22 June but end later depending on the objective (Smolensk, Kiev, Moscow, etc.). I was never comfortable with the time, distance scale in WitE.

And of course, the number of scenarios, time periods, scale in TOAW make a totally different game.

Larry?

Cheers

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
TheDudelyLlama

Post by TheDudelyLlama »

I have TOAW 3 and WITE (and WITW). I enjoy all of the games and they are all enjoyable for most people who enjoy playing this subject matter. One thing that did annoy me somewhat about WITE was the gaminess of the turns. People could micromanageme the movement and battle selection down to a fine art much like chess openings. This was ok if you were someone who had put in as much micromanagement study into the movement of individual units etc. for the first 2-3 turns. But it was not just a disadvantage if you did not know the "opening moves" as well, it was almost pointless playing someone whom was a higher study of these openings. War is about the unknown, contingency, being able to adapt because your plan doesn't survive contact with the enemy, etc. Not practicing and refining your opening and counter opening moves to a fine art like chess.

Again, don't get me wrong. I really like WITE and will continue to play and enjoy it. I'm just a lot more ruthless in screening people that I play now because of this.

Some Dude
jimhatama

Post by jimhatama »

And how exactly WITE turns differ from TOAW? What makes them less gamey?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: jimhatama

Let's see. They're both round. They both grow on trees. They are both considered fruit. Both are sweet when ripe. One is red most of the time. One is orange most of the time. One you peel. The other you don't have to. Most importantly they both taste different from one another.

Why do people insist on asking how a game compares to another when they are both entirely different things. Yeah they both have counters and maps and you move stuff. But they are different after those basics. If you are a GG Fanboi you'll say his games are better. If you are a TOAW fanboi you'll say that is better. Just buy TOAW (it doesn't cost $80.00) and play it. If you don't like it you can probably sell it to someone who will like it and recoup some of your money. If you want to ask how they differ you'll find a boatload of opinions that have already been given by doing a search. Find the one that suits you
best and go with it.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

If you are interested in how TOAW's turn system works in detail (it is quite different from other turn based wargames, as it tries remove/minimise the unrealistic aspects of turn-based play), I suggest you read the Battlefield Time Stamps thread on this forum where it is explained.
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

WitE is a pure IGOYOUGO-game. It's more complex and detailled as Panzer General, but it plays the same way. Then there are WEGO-Games like AGEOD-games oder WitP. TOAW is between these and something very unique. Every game-turn is split into subturns. If you attack in one subturn, but the fight goes on very long, it effects all other units too. It adds much more uncertainity to the game. If you don't like that, take WitE. If you want this thrill, take TOAW.

WitE is about the Eastern Front only. TOAW has dozens of scenarios about dozens of conflicts from about 1800 to the future. Even hypothetical ones. So if Ostfront ist NOT your only interest, you should keep that in mind.
wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

My TOAW observations are based on an earlier version, but I always thought it was slick, well designed, playable product. I always enjoyed it. [:D] WitE is more like a massive study of the Ost front forced into a game. Certain aspects test my skills of comprehension. Now I love WitE! It is one of the games I think I'll always have going via PBEM, but it can be a beast. [:@] I am looking forward to the new TAOW also. [8D]
Wurger
TheDudelyLlama

Post by TheDudelyLlama »

ORIGINAL: jimhatama

Follow up on what Tamas said.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Some Dude

I have TOAW 3 and WITE (and WITW). I enjoy all of the games and they are all enjoyable for most people who enjoy playing this subject matter. One thing that did annoy me somewhat about WITE was the gaminess of the turns. People could micromanageme the movement and battle selection down to a fine art much like chess openings. This was ok if you were someone who had put in as much micromanagement study into the movement of individual units etc. for the first 2-3 turns. But it was not just a disadvantage if you did not know the "opening moves" as well, it was almost pointless playing someone whom was a higher study of these openings. War is about the unknown, contingency, being able to adapt because your plan doesn't survive contact with the enemy, etc. Not practicing and refining your opening and counter opening moves to a fine art like chess.

Again, don't get me wrong. I really like WITE and will continue to play and enjoy it. I'm just a lot more ruthless in screening people that I play now because of this.

Some Dude

Completely agree, in a wargame I want to play the history and the strategy not just fight a conavaluted game system.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

In one you can blow up specific bridges and you need to rebuild them. In the other the AI lines its units up 6 deep right before the first blizzard.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Please elaborate, to which game does each of the above statements apply?
Thanks.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Please elaborate, to which game does each of the above statements apply?
Thanks.

TOAW you can blow up bridges because there are roads. In WitE you can't blow up bridges because, well, there are no roads. In TOAW because you can blow up bridges you can also fix them. In WitE you can't fix bridges because there are no bridges because, well, there are no roads. One sec while I fire up my copy of WitE...ah there we go. Yeah I don't think you can blow up rail bridges either. You just destroy a rail line but you have to have a land unit do it. No air strikes on bridges, right? So in essence you can't blow up rail bridges either and thus cannot fix them because they don't get blown up.

As for the WitE AI lining up units six deep: tm.asp?m=2605136 The very first post. Yeah it's not the AI but the AI does the exact same thing. This does not look like fun to me. You can look in the AARs and see the same thing over and over and over. And then in WitE units magically get teleported several hexes away as though Scotty was a madman with a teleportation device. What's with that?

Anyway, it's all a matter of opinion as to which you would like the most. But here's some incentive or anti incentive. WitE costs $80.00 unless you can catch it on sale for a few bucks less. Even then it's fairly steep. You can buy a couple of fun games with that. TOAW with literally hundreds of scenarios covering every theater from 1km per hex to 50km per hex (no WitE doesn't do that) and from mid 1800s to early 2000s (no WitE can't do that). And some other game of your choice. Maybe Graviteam's Mius Front game or Tunisia game.

Good luck in your choices.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I have played lots of GG WitE and lots of TOAW III. I have had lots of fun playing both.

But this is important: when I was having THE MOST fun playing one of these two games, it was almost always with TOAW.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”