New WW1 Wargame Out 1st Aug

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Alan Sharif

RE: New WW1 Wargame Out 1st Aug

Post by Alan Sharif »

See also here

http://battlegoat.com/
A Sharif
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

I just bought Supreme Ruler Ultimate this is my first game in the series, I would like to know what people think about the series, and how it compares with other grand strategy games as a concept and how well it plays.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I've played all of them and found them to be buggy.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I've played Ultimate and Cold War. I think the series has a lot of cool ideas that you don't see in other games, but it is a bear to figure out how it all works and actually have a good game. Every time I play I'm never really sure if I'm doing well or just flailing around. It can be an entertaining experience though, and there aren't many (any?) post-WW2 grand strategy games like it. I would suggest only get it when it's on sale.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I must confess I had never heard of them until today. I have been watching some You Tube videos and reading reviews which support the views given by LarryP and Ranger33 completely.
A Sharif
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

It's sad, because Supreme Ruler series has a ton of neat features, and for a person like me that loves a lot of options to play with, it's a dream. Then the bugs start hitting and it's a real let down. I got a refund on the last version, and with a heavy heart. [:(]
philabos

Post by philabos »

I have jumped in on a lot of WW1 games only to be disappointed. I will wait for reviews this time.
operating

Post by operating »

For one I am also going to wait and see posts, ect. about this game. Secondly, My first impression was that this game was exclusively about WW I, which it is not. Thirdly, Is the RTS (which there are no screenshots of) and play similar to Total War Empire? The screenshots seems to indicate a strategic phase, not just tactical RTS..
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

Thanks Larry P and Ranger33 for your insight, I will play it but will not take it seriously so I will not be in frustration, a lot of fans of the series on steam suggested that the best is to play modern setting sandbox mode, I will try that and report back.
For ww1 setting I dont know how they will make it any good strategic level game, the best WW1 strategic level game I played was Commander The Great war.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: RodyMetal

the best WW1 strategic level game I played was Commander The Great war.

Agree[;)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I tink same man different coat. More of an addon or DLC than new game. A common thing today a base model with paid extra features. My two bobs worth.
Formerly Goodwood

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Years and years ago I discovered Supreme Ruler 2010. I was amazed (at that time) what I fun wargame it was. I am finished with the new games, as wars can become RTS "blobs" or super micro-management. If only the whole game was as good as its separate parts.

But back on topic, yes I like Commander the Great War probably the best. Although many swear that Strategic Command WW1 is the best SC game of the old series. Less so might be Making History WWI
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Played Supreme Ruler Ultimate for about 300 hours so far and loving it. Yes it has some flaws but well... It is also very complex and has a steep learning courve. Somewhere between WITE and WITP I would say.

It really shines at mordern warfare (Trump Rising 2017 or World crisis 2020). The early campaigns (world war II era) are not the strengh of the game to be honest.

For german speakers: Ive posted a review here on steam about that game some days ago: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ed/314980/

wodin

Post by wodin »

Best WW1 grand strat for me is WW1 Gold. Though I have yet to play Battlefronts Great War game, well played the demo. What most fail to do or get right is the change from open warfare to trench warfare. WW1 Gold manages to do this to good effect.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Vasquez

Played Supreme Ruler Ultimate for about 300 hours so far and loving it. Yes it has some flaws but well... It is also very complex and has a steep learning courve. Somewhere between WITE and WITP I would say.

It really shines at mordern warfare (Trump Rising 2017 or World crisis 2020). The early campaigns (world war II era) are not the strengh of the game to be honest.

For german speakers: Ive posted a review here on steam about that game some days ago: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ed/314980/

After reading this, I tried Supreme Ruler Ultimate again since it's on sale. I gave up, it is so frigging broken! The tutorial is a massive mess. The option for running in windowed mode won't even work so that I can run a YouTube tutorial at the same time. What a shame because the game is full of micromanagement. Glorious micromanagement! [;)]
balto

Post by balto »

I bought this years ago. It has lots of features, but they really do not work. You think they do, but they do not. That is why you cannot see the impact of your actions because they are not doing anything. Go on YouTube and watch how you just blob units and boom, that is all there is to the game no matter how much micro-managing you do.

I agree that Commander The Great War (turn based) is a very high quality game, but that is not similar to Supreme Ruler (RTS). If you want the mack daddy, never to be equaled in a million years, WW1 RTS, go with HOI 4, the Great War Mod. I have about 100+ hours on just that mod. Cannot put into words how great it is. And if you want to look under the hood, Paradox makes it really easier for you to do with probably the best GUI on the market. And the YouTube info and the Paradox support is the best in the industry.

Do not believe the negative press from Steam, HOI 4 in its present condition is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is 50% off so hurry up. And make sure you get the two DLCs, Together for Victory and Death and Dishonor. It will suck the life out of you (which is good).

PS - do not get me going on the Kaiserreich Mod. On a scale of 1 to 10, that is an 11 -- but it has been crashing lately which the Mod team will fix.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Is the Great War Mod in the Workshop?

EDIT: I found it.
balto

Post by balto »

Hi Larry. Yes it is. Click on the tab Most Subscribed and/or Most Popular. It is one of the top three. While you are at it, please try Kaiserreich. I think the crashing issue may have stopped since the latest patch. There is about 7 or 8 smart guys working on Kaiserreich. If it is not fixed, I know it will be soon. I made it all the way to 1942 before it crashed.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Thanks Balto. I am playing The Great War now with a YouTube video going by EnterElysium at the same time. HoI4 is a massive bunch of micromanagement, it's excellent. I will also check out Kaiserreich. Thanks for the suggestions.

How did you learn HoI4, trial and error or videos?

Return to “General Discussion”