Feature request, option : cut length of turns?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

great game. Have admired it for years and am incredibly keen to get stuck in but.. any chance of an option to
cut the length of the turns?

Each to their own, but one week turns seem out of sync with 10 mile hexes. Even when the units default to being
divisions. On a scale of 10 mile hexes 24 hour turns seem more appropriate. At Kursk and many another battle on
all fronts divisions where moved around on a scale greater than 10 miles within 24 hours on a reasonably regular
basis. The command cycle for division sized units probably was daily. In the Germans case every evening at corps and
army level division missions would be reviewed and changed if needed.

All the best,
kip.
Stelteck

RE: Feature request, option : cut length of turns?

Post by Stelteck »

Are you sûre ?
The game is at the limit of still being playable due to big numbers of turns and hundreads of units to move each turn.
You want more ? [:D]

You should try war in the pacific [:'(]
Brakes are for cowards !!
Searry

Post by Searry »

Maybe wait for a different game with battallions as main unit.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

I realise I am being the typical unreasonable wargamer demanding more and more..[:D].

There are many fine operational games out there, but due to its complexity War In the East would make a great game at the bottom end of "strategic..". Default of divisional units, 10 mile hexes, plus 24 hour turns would fit together very well. Historically perfect fit. Just play smaller games.

But each to their own.

All the best,
Kip.

EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Kipanderson, have a look at this: https://www.facebook.com/eastfrontWWII/ ... =3&theater
Basically 2.5km hexagons and regimental and below scale, daily turns.
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

Kipanderson, have a look at this: https://www.facebook.com/eastfrontWWII/ ... =3&theater
Basically 2.5km hexagons and regimental and below scale, daily turns.

Wow. If it ever sees the light of day that is going to be the mother of all micromanagements.
morvael

Post by morvael »

If this project will be completed:
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/the- ... arbarossa/
you will be able to play Operation Barbarossa on a 2.5km/hex map
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/almo ... rossa-map/
I believe there will be daily turns...
morvael

Post by morvael »

Sorry, didn't see EvaldvonKleist's post. We link to the same project.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Was planned for 2015 .. I suspect this kind of detail will take some time. The balance between "perfect" and feasible.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

yes.. Operation Barbarossa will be quite something. A huge project and if volume I is anything to go by of outstanding quality.

Remarkable..

All the best,
Kip.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Are you sûre ?
The game is at the limit of still being playable due to big numbers of turns and hundreads of units to move each turn.
You want more ? [:D]

You should try war in the pacific [:'(]

War in the Pacific is not that bad .. you have spurts of click fests but then for awhile your orders are on autopilot with adjustments ..That does not happen in WITE [8D]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

War in the Pacific is not that bad .. you have spurts of click fests but then for awhile your orders are on autopilot with adjustments ..That does not happen in WITE [8D]

100% true. I played 2 PBEM WITP-AE campaign until 1944 and the turn is not as long as for WITE. Most of time i could did the turn in 20 minutes.

WITE is especially mind crushing soviet side at the beginning of 1942. So many units to move and organize, around 500 !!!

It is easier german side (around 150 units) and later in 1943 for soviet, when you have corps that divide the number of units per 3.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

Hi,

great game. Have admired it for years and am incredibly keen to get stuck in but.. any chance of an option to
cut the length of the turns?

Each to their own, but one week turns seem out of sync with 10 mile hexes. Even when the units default to being
divisions. On a scale of 10 mile hexes 24 hour turns seem more appropriate. At Kursk and many another battle on
all fronts divisions where moved around on a scale greater than 10 miles within 24 hours on a reasonably regular
basis. The command cycle for division sized units probably was daily. In the Germans case every evening at corps and
army level division missions would be reviewed and changed if needed.

All the best,
kip.

If you want a feel for the click fest every turn .. play Movement FOW option ..[:'(]
Actually if WITE wanted to increase the micromanagement to that level they could break the turn up into phases with Movement FOW for setting parameters for ending a movement phase (with lots of coding constraints to prevent gamey play) . I have no appreciation for the code so I do not know how much work that is .. but I personally want resources on WITE version 2.0 [8D]
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I always liked the idea of a slide rule - go down and the turns are shorter and units sizes smaller and vice versa. Players can choose/agree the level they want to play at - and can toggle down at critical points or toggle up during boring periods. Of course a developers nightmare so it will never be coded, but I like the idea of being able to drill down or be more strategic at will.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Telemecus,

yup.. different scales within the same game is the Holy Grail. High quality operational or in this case strategic layer with the ability to freeze that layer and resolve a given turn at the smaller scale. Then applying the results up the line.

All the best,
kip.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

I want to get rid of the turn bases system, and have a WEGO system where orders are performed at the same time in real time, on a weekly basis.

In addition, a smart command AI where you can give an army a vague order, like defend kiev, or cross the Dnept, and the army/corp will automaticaly move in a coherent way. (Such as in command ops) would be really nice.

Chain of command and realistic orders transmissions from stavka (and of course, fog of war even for your own troops position if no situation update reached you) would be a huge plus.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Wait 20-25 years and my own game will be just like that.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

@Stelteck: A WEGO system also allows to include the great strength of the German army compared to many of its allied counterparts: Order tactics and good tactical/operational leadership. For example, German units can be made to react better if a unit crosses their way or if it is attacked from multiple sides.
No idea

Post by No idea »

I think the new TOAW version is including something similar with turns. It gives some sense of being real time based while being turn based.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”