Not so new problem -Windows 10

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

spence

Not so new problem -Windows 10

Post by spence »

I've been using the latest Beta (version 1.8.11.26b) for a long time with no problems but am just about to start a standard scenario (version 1.7.11.24). When I downloaded the Beta version I ended up with 2 shortcut icons on my computer for Witp. The original version icon has an administrator thingie. In any case I get the dreaded "Windows 10 Lag" when I try to run the standard version (while lacking same in the Beta version). I tried changing the switches to match those used in the Beta version (-deepColor -dd_sw)but that didn't alleviate the problem.

Any suggestions?
witpqs

RE: Not so new problem -Windows 10

Post by witpqs »

1) I never use the shortcuts the installer provides. When you have figured out the switches you want, stick with your shortcut and just copy & modify it (to point where needed) when you need a new shortcut.

2) Double check that the installer shortcut is pointing at the correct .exe and NOT pointing at the autorun.exe.

3) AFAIK the installer created shortcut will certainly be created with no switches, so whatever switches you previously determined you need will not be there (add them, use a different shortcut, etc.).
spence

Post by spence »

The current switches were needed/added to get the Beta to work w/o the lag.

The same switches on the stock version don't prevent the lag.

Thanks witpqs but no help.

Any other suggestions? Anybody? Bueller?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: spence

The current switches were needed/added to get the Beta to work w/o the lag.

The same switches on the stock version don't prevent the lag.

Thanks witpqs but no help.

Any other suggestions? Anybody? Bueller?
Post a copy-paste of your entire command line from the shortcut. Not just the switches, the entire command line.
spence

Post by spence »

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -deepColor

Here you go: in another iteration it had -dd_sw too but it turns out that's not really necessary for the Beta
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: spence

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -deepColor

Here you go: in another iteration it had -dd_sw too but it turns out that's not really necessary for the Beta
It has been said before - the "Autorun.exe" does not start the game, it starts a menu for the game/editor/manual/updates. Consequently, the switches do not work there.
DO NOT use the shortcut installed by the game - it points to the Autorun.exe menu starter.

Go to the file system and find the game files where you installed them. Find the "War in the Pacific - Admiral Edition.exe" file and right click on it. Choose "Create Shortcut". When it does that, drag the shortcut to the desktop, add your switches in the properties and start the game with it.

You will likely need more switches than "deepColor". See the extensive Win10 thread in the Tech forum for discussion of the various switches and what they help with.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “Tech Support”