Panzer Ballet II: Dron511 (Soviets) versus Tollwut (Axis)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Tollwut

Panzer Ballet II: Dron511 (Soviets) versus Tollwut (Axis)

Post by Tollwut »

Hello again, Kameraden. As my old campaign came to a premature end (due to my opponent resigning) I've decided to launch a new campaign and have been playing for quite a while now.

I've made some screenshots and will post them here from now on. So here we go:

I decided upon a rather conventional opening move. I destroyed about 4000 Soviet aircraft and then unleashed the Wehrmacht

Army Group North :

Maybe somewhat meager in terms of encirclement. I gave priority towards securing Riga due to logistical considerations.

Army Group Center :

Ah yes. I was a bit more happy with my progress in the center. I achieved a double envelopment with the Soviets soundly in my glove around Byalistok and just before Minsk.

Army Group South :

This was probably the most interesting area at this time. Especially so as the Soviet response to my opening moves really surprised me (as my readers will subsequently see for themselves). Lovno pocket was solidly locked down. I expected the Red Army to run...

Ok that's it for now. Please feel free to give me some constructive criticism if you notice any mistake I might have made. I'm still relatively green myself.

Cheers.

"I'll show you where Iron Crosses bloom..." (Steiner)
EwaldvonKleist

RE: Panzer Ballet II: Dron511 (Soviets) versus Tollwut (Axis)

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Ok that's it for now. Please feel free to give me some constructive criticism if you notice any mistake I might have made. I'm still relatively green myself.
I will try :)

Minimize splitting into regiments for the lvov pocket.
Taking the baltic ports is a good thing as well, on the other hand there is not so much to be captured there.
There are many units routed out, maybe you can reduce this in future iterations.
Do you play with +1? If yes, the panzer regiment just north of tarnopol is a weakspot. I don't consider attacking to be worth it though.
Lvov pocket can maybe be opened at the romanian border?

Good in Detail AAR!
Tollwut

Post by Tollwut »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist
I will try :)

Minimize splitting into regiments for the lvov pocket.
Taking the baltic ports is a good thing as well, on the other hand there is not so much to be captured there.
There are many units routed out, maybe you can reduce this in future iterations.
Do you play with +1? If yes, the panzer regiment just north of tarnopol is a weakspot. I don't consider attacking to be worth it though.
Lvov pocket can maybe be opened at the romanian border?

Good in Detail AAR!

Thanks for your feedback. I'll try to keep your adivse in mind. :)

We don't play with +1 so it actually worked out ok. I'll post the next turn now.
Tollwut

Post by Tollwut »

TURN 2:

Army Group North:

4th Panzer Army crosses the Daugava River in strength and manages to initiate Operation "Sommernacht". Numerous Soviet divisions are encircled (including several tank divisions) and the defensive line in front of Pskov is smashed.
Meanwhile 18th Army also links up with the Panzer spearhead at Daugava River.

16th Army likewise advances eastwards and pushes back relatively feeble Soviet resistance.

Army Group Center:

The old pockets are reduced by 9th and 2nd Army while Guderian's and Hoth's Panzer Armies continue their rapid deployment in the Minsk sector. Minsk itself is bypassed and the Soviet line pulverised in several areas. Consequently fresh formations of the Red Army are encircled and lead elements of Hoth's Panzer Army reach the Smolensk land bridge.

Army Group South:

And here things get well and truly interesting. The Soviet high command decides to send most of its reserves to the southern sector and in a truly Stalinesque fashion these forces are deployed offensively, trying to counterattack and link up with the Lvov Pocket from Turn 1.

I'm initially dismayed by this but subsequently decide this is a blessing in disguise. After heavy figting their formations are broken up and several additional Soviet divisions are encircled (including several motorized divisions). I also figure those Red Army formations not yet enveloped will still potentially be easy prey if they remain so close to my armored spear heads. I position my panzer divisions accordingly.

The Red Army does manage to briefly open up the Lvov Pocket by a massive counter attack southeast of Stanislav but this arguably makes a bad situation worse for them. Kleist's 1st Panzer Army simply manouvers around the counterattacking blob and envelops them as well, thus increasing the Lovno Pocket (and bagging some more motorized and tank divisions).

The southernmost sector remains relatively quiet. This is done deliberately. I will write more about this at a later stage.

MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

Interesting and detailed AAR!
Also, as a side note, are you a friend of the semi-known League player hashinshin? (AGS Screen) [;)]
Tollwut

Post by Tollwut »

ORIGINAL: MarauderPL

Interesting and detailed AAR!
Also, as a side note, are you a friend of the semi-known League player hashinshin? (AGS Screen) [;)]

Thank you [:)].

And, yes, I'm a friend of his on Steam at least. We played Europa Universalis IV off and on.

Cheers...
Tollwut

Post by Tollwut »

[center]Turn 3[/center]

Army Group North:

Army Group Center:

Army Group South:

Tollwut

Post by Tollwut »

Sorry for the delay. This campaign is still very much ongoing. We're currently in the summer of 1942 and there's a lot of action. So I'll be posting a lot of turns from the past and later will get into some more in-depth analysis of the war.

Cheers.

Return to “After Action Reports”