The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BBfanboy

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Dirtnap86

Jeebus what a bombardment. Mine never get close to that good, that stuff is black magic, seriously.
Two things: heavily stacked field and clear terrain.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

John's wife was involved in a traffic accident yesterday, but not hurt. They've been busy seeing doctors to make sure everything's okay. To add to her woes, she'd come down with a cold and that's left her feeling bad on top of some soreness.

So John's up to his eyeballs in alligators at the moment. We'll resume the game when things settle down for him, possibly later today.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

As a consequence, John had to go to pet store to get crickets for their pet toads (his wife was on her way there when accident occurred). Thus, he was able to get in a quick phone call to me, but I did get a chuckle out of this. He reported it was a 'perk' of 15 years of marital bliss. [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

As a consequence, John had to go to pet store to get crickets for their pet toads (his wife was on her way there when accident occurred). Thus, he was able to get in a quick phone call to me, but I did get a chuckle out of this. He reported it was a 'perk' of 15 years of marital bliss. [:D]
Pet toads? Does he use them to give him poison for his darts?

Attachments
Calvindisgust.jpg
Calvindisgust.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 79 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

He runs a Subway doesnt he.......
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

He runs a Subway doesnt he.......

I was thinking the same thing [:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

John manages a Subway but is transitioning to ownership of two Subways.

There's a lot of moving parts involved in the transition, which comes with a healthy dose of stress and worry and challenges and weariness....not to mention excitement and happiness.

For part of the transition, John has to spend time in Connecticut for training. Originally he had hoped that would begin about now, but it's been pushed back a month or so. In some ways, Connecticut might be a real treat, because he'll be away from all of the responsibilities at home (Dad! Honey! Boss!) and might be able to decompress a bit at night.

When I bought my business 12 years ago, I would sometimes wake up at 3 a.m., wondering, "How is this going to work! What if this happens! What if that? What if my family suffers?" It's a daunting and rewarding step to take.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

No one said how are the crickets?
DW

Post by DW »

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

No one said how are the crickets?

Crunchy?
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Take some time.... relax... enjoy the sunset.

Attachments
FourJapan..rtshit.jpg
FourJapan..rtshit.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

8/28/44

Peep Show II: Massed Allied air raids vs. Taihoku and Taichu are unopposed and very successful. Enemy ground troops are vulnerable to attack by air. That's critical. And I have pretty detailed information about the units at both bases.

The Allied amphibious ships at Manila loaded the entire assault army in one day. The armada will leave port tonight.

I spent hours setting up and configuring the combat, carrier, ASW and MSW TFs. All ships are fully fueled and armed.

Will John fight? I think so. But so often, he fights weakly where I expect him to fight hard (Luzon, DEI) and hard where I expect him to fight weakly. He hates 4EB hitting his ground units, so it's possible that he'll conclude that Formosa is a lost cause. But until I know that for sure, I'll proceed on the assumption that he's going to throw everything he has at me.

The moon is gonna be full while all this is going on.

Attachments
082944PeeShow.jpg
082944PeeShow.jpg (705.79 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

8/28/44

Indochina: The Allies easily take Hanaoi, meaning the Allied army in Indochina is about to link up with the Allied army in China.

China: I think John intends to fight for the coast. If so, I'll need to turn that into a dreadful mistake on his part. Allied 4EB will eat his units alive, once I have the airfields and supply necessary to handle the bombers. So the highest priority now is to get Peep Show II underway.

Attachments
082944SEAC.jpg
082944SEAC.jpg (786.17 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

8/28/44

KB: Most of John's carriers are accounted for, spread across the Java Sea. These TFs don't pose a threat to any Allied assets at the moment.

These TFs carry about 900 aircraft. That leaves 200-300 unaccounted for.

Another TF may be out there, and I still wonder about a raid into the Bay of Bengal or against Rangoon.

Attachments
082944KB.jpg
082944KB.jpg (556.29 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

8/29/44

Peep Show II: Death Star and the Herd are at sea, with D-Day in about three days.

The Allied army is roughly 120k, facing 175k Japanese. I'm counting heavily on the air campaign and bombardments at sea to bludgeon the Japanese. The extended bombing campaign probably has already had a decent effect. And supply may be an issue for John's guys.

Attachments
082944PeepShow.jpg
082944PeepShow.jpg (692.4 KiB) Viewed 79 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I was wondering if John having his carriers split up in the DEI was due to sending them to different places to refuel? If so then maybe good luck in timing is on your side.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Hey, John.  I thought of you a couple of days ago.  This time last year, you persuaded me to read "With the Old Breed."  I did so over the course of several days including once or twice at quiet outposts on a nearby mountain.  (Reading outdoors is one of my secret "vices.")  Got any other recommends?
Obviously I'm not John and this is 4 1/2 years after you asked but I do have several recommendations. I too got around to reading, "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge. I've seen HBO's mini-series, "The Pacific" and "Band of Brothers" a half of dozen times each. I read Eugene's book last summer after rewatching the, "The Pacific". I highly recommend the following books which I read last Summer and Fall (2016).

(1) "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge.

(2) "Helmet for my Pillow" by Robert Leckie.

(3) "Islands of the Damned" by R.V. Burgin (Burgin was Eugene's squad leader).

(4) "You-ll Be SOR-REE!" by Sid Phillips (Sid and Eugene were best friends and grew up together in/near Mobile, AL).

(5) "Band of Brothers" by Stephen E. Ambrose (I shift now to the ETO)

(6) "No Surrender" by James J. Sheeran

(7) "The Liberator" by Alex Kershaw
Ronnie
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Thanks for the suggestions, rkr. I'm looking for good books to read, so I'll see if my library has any of those. The only ones on your list that I've read are "With the Old Breed" and "Band of Brothers." Both are excellent. BoB is one of the finest works of WWII history that I've read.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

8/30/44

Peep Show II: Death Star & The Herd steam six hexes. Tomorrow, the armada will be proximate to Formosa and Pescadores, so things will heat up rapidly. The first invasion will take place the day after.

August has been a complicated month, with things going well but mostly behind the scenes:

1. Peep Show I took place, with the Allies invading Foochow.
2. From Foochow, the Allied army moved south, taking bases all the way through Swatow.
3. The Allies kept the enemy airfields on Formosa suppressed.
4. Stared down full KB at Miri with minimal forces available, and John backed away (that's my spin on things)
5. Stared down full KB at Boela with moderate forces available, and John backed away (spin 2.0).
6. Safely got Mini DS and Its Herd from the Coral Sea to the DEI to Manila.
7. Replenished everything and got Peep Show II forces underway timely and in optimal condition.

On the negative side, John bombarded Foochow, shut down the airfield, and sank six of eight Fletchers (with the only offsetting things being CL Nagara taking two torps and one of his DDs taking heavy fires/heavy damage).

Attachments
08 30 44 P.. Show II.jpg
08 30 44 P.. Show II.jpg (730.18 KiB) Viewed 79 times
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Got a new book I am ripping through. The Jersey Brothers. 3 brothers, one the AAA gunnery officer for the Enterprise from Pearl Harbor through the Turkey shoot, another an intelligence officer in Rosevelts map room and the 3rd and officer on a sub tender who was injured and capture by the Japanese in Manilla. Written by a relative who pulled all the histories together. Can't spoil it because I haven't finished it but it is quite the page turned. New book, just showed up at the library. Absolutely fascinating to see the war from 3 such diverse viewpoints
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Jellicoe

Post by Jellicoe »

Just picked up 'Sharks over China' from the local charity shop, Hardback and dustjacket untouched for the princely sum of £3. Its a history of the 23rd Fighter Group, successors to the AVG.

Looks good and for £3 you can't really complain

Return to “After Action Reports”