OT: Name that plane / ship

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chickenboy

OT: Name that plane / ship

Post by Chickenboy »

Recently went to Corpus Christi, Texas with the family on vacation. While there, we spent a fair amount of time on the CV-16, USS Lexington. This was, of course, the Essex-class 'reboot' that served with distinction in the PTO during WWII and served in active duty until 1991(!)

What follows will be pictures from inside the ship where they had a very impressive model collection. First to guess correctly will result in the next picture being loaded. Be as detailed in your guess as you can for proper 'credit'. If you guess A6M2 and it's an A6M5, you get zip. [:D]
Chickenboy

RE: OT: Name that plane / ship

Post by Chickenboy »

Start things off with a pretty easy one. [8D]

Name that Plane.

Attachments
Mysteryplane1.jpg
Mysteryplane1.jpg (189.69 KiB) Viewed 813 times
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

TBD-1 Devastor.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Correct. You're a ringer with these, so I'll kick it up a notch. Just for you. [8D]

Name that plane:

Attachments
Mysteryplane2.jpg
Mysteryplane2.jpg (401.82 KiB) Viewed 813 times
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Looks like a Martin B-57 , the licensed version of the British Canberra. Obviously it's in SE Asia colors....Vietnam era.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

By the way , there's a RVNAF Huey behind it , only the tail rotor is visible.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

And the tip-tank is from either a F-104 Star Fighter or a T-33 trainer (shooting star). It looks more like the T-33 , but the markings surprise me. I didn't know there were any in Vietnam. Must be a base "hack".
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Looks like a Martin B-57 , the licensed version of the British Canberra. Obviously it's in SE Asia colors....Vietnam era.

Shows you what I know. I didn't know we licensed this plane at all, so was surprised to see it in American colors / insignia. [X(][&:]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

B-57G "Canberra". Aye.

Shows you what I know. I didn't know we licensed this plane at all, so was surprised to see it in American colors / insignia. [X(][&:]

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

The USAF didn't have a decent light/medium bomber for the intruder role and was still using the A-26 (relabeled during the Korean war as the B-26, this creates all kinds of confusion between USAAF/USAF veterans . I usually say the "Marauder" and the "Invader--later counter Invader). The B-57 would keep that role , and as a WRB-57 in a super high altitude version for both the USAF and NASA. I think the NASA version still exists. [:)]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Last one for the day. Good luck with this one! [:'(]

Attachments
Mysteryplane3.jpg
Mysteryplane3.jpg (405.87 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

The USAF didn't have a decent light/medium bomber for the intruder role and was still using the A-26 (relabeled during the Korean war as the B-26, this creates all kinds of confusion between USAAF/USAF veterans . I usually say the "Marauder" and the "Invader--later counter Invader). The B-57 would keep that role , and as a WRB-57 in a super high altitude version for both the USAF and NASA. I think the NASA version still exists. [:)]
What about the FB-111?
robrown1

Post by robrown1 »

Henschel Hs 129
~Rob
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: robrown1

Henschel Hs 129

Aye. Version/model type?
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Okay , the main subject is tough. My 1st thought is a variation of the Herschel 129. The two bladed prop is weird , but everything else fits, so that's what I'll go with.

Also in the photo is a He-111, P-39 . JU-52, Beach Stagger wing, F6F and JU-87. And a ME-110. There's a tail section of a P-38 in the lower left. [:)]
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

The RAAF also used the Canberra over South Vietnam, replacing the tip tanks with (at least) a 500lber and flew precision night bombing.

Joe Baugher's bit on the B57
http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b57.html
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

What about the FB-111?

The FB-111 was a bomber version of the F-111. There was only one squadron , the 509th BG , based at Pease AFB. (I spent a LOY of time looking at them as a kid). The F-111 was supposed to be an "all-in-one" plane , but caused no end of problems. The Developmental squadron that went to Vietnam lost 7 planes in very short order. The were with drawn from combat. (I still recall Time magazine having a cartoon with one having the "Stars and Bars" replaced with "The lemon and bars".

The B-66 was an USAF version of the Navy A-3 Sky warrior (a heavy attack CV bomber used mainly in the Nuclear delivery role. I recall some of the last couple stenciled with "Handle with care ,Property of the Smithsonian". Another had "save the whales" stenciled on it , a attribute to the Name the crews called it -"The Whale").

So the USAF really didn't have a good "night intruder" to replace the B-57, and that's why it stayed in service so long. [:)]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Henschel Hs 129

Aye. Version/model type?
I'm going to bet B-1. (The one with the French engines) . Whatever it is , it's very early. Maybe a prototype.

Sorry Andre, I don't know German ww2 Air craft as well as I should. [:(]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Henschel Hs 129

Aye. Version/model type?
I'm going to bet B-1. (The one with the French engines) . Whatever it is , it's very early. Maybe a prototype.

Sorry Andre, I don't know German ww2 Air craft as well as I should. [:(]
OK, I had to research it. It's a Herschel-129-A0
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

What about the FB-111?

The FB-111 was a bomber version of the F-111. There was only one squadron , the 509th BG , based at Pease AFB. (I spent a LOY of time looking at them as a kid). The F-111 was supposed to be an "all-in-one" plane , but caused no end of problems. The Developmental squadron that went to Vietnam lost 7 planes in very short order. The were with drawn from combat. (I still recall Time magazine having a cartoon with one having the "Stars and Bars" replaced with "The lemon and bars".

The B-66 was an USAF version of the Navy A-3 Sky warrior (a heavy attack CV bomber used mainly in the Nuclear delivery role. I recall some of the last couple stenciled with "Handle with care ,Property of the Smithsonian". Another had "save the whales" stenciled on it , a attribute to the Name the crews called it -"The Whale").

So the USAF really didn't have a good "night intruder" to replace the B-57, and that's why it stayed in service so long. [:)]

Sorry, I meant F-111A. It saw quite a bit of service in Vietnam (mostly via Thailand, IIRC)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”