Oil Tankers Yet?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

Oil Tankers Yet?

Post by Omnius »

I'm still waiting for the oil tankers to appear in this game. I've been waiting over 2 years for this excellent feature to be implemented to improve the frustrating convoys function. Any idea on when this feature will be implemented if it isn't already?
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Oil Tankers Yet?

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I'm still waiting for the oil tankers to appear in this game. I've been waiting over 2 years for this excellent feature to be implemented to improve the frustrating convoys function. Any idea on when this feature will be implemented if it isn't already?
It would be included as part of Convoys in Flames.

That optional rules has a lot of parts which will be difficult to code.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Omnius

It would be included as part of Convoys in Flames.

That optional rules has a lot of parts which will be difficult to code.
warspite1

Is it still the intention to code this at some point Steve? If so, where do you see the remaining optionals being coded in terms of priority? After an AI or before?

Thanks
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

I would say. Lets fix the bugs in production planning, before adding new options

But we are years away from adding new options. Solitaire and net play need to be bug free first.
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

I would say. Lets fix the bugs in production planning, before adding new options

But we are years away from adding new options. Solitaire and net play need to be bug free first.
warspite1

I don't disagree, I simply asked whether there was still a plan to code optionals "at some point" and - if so - where does that plan fit vs the coding of an AI.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
warspite1

I don't disagree, I simply asked whether there was still a plan to code optionals "at some point" and - if so - where does that plan fit vs the coding of an AI.

That (an update on the plan) is still something Erik and Steve owe us.

This is the last I saw from the posting in June 2015:

tm.asp?m=3878065

At this point, I ignore the durations since they are much larger than planned to get past phase 0.

0. Finish Fixing Solitaire and Netplay (details above)

1. Additional Optional Rules

If you look at the beginning of Vol. I of the Player's Manual, you'll see a list of additional optional rules to add, with those that are closest to completion marked with asterisks.

The exact order of implementation for optional rules remains to be decided. We would welcome community input and feedback on which optional rules are of greatest importance to you. The below are currently the closest to completion:

- Optional Rule #47 (Isolated Reorganization Limits)
- City-based volunteers (this is already mostly implemented)
- Guards Banner Armies
- Kamikazes
- Rough Seas
- Naval Supply Units (this one is harder and will be left as one of the last)
- Convoy in Flames (this is likely the hardest and riskiest of all - we're expecting to get to this only once we're very happy that the vast majority of issues have been resolved)

We expect about 1-2 months of development to be spend adding in some of the additional optional rules, depending on which make the final list.

2. Additional Scenarios
- Fascist Tide
- Day of Infamy

Each of these will need about 1 month of development time. We're planning on Fascist Tide first, but much of the required work will apply to both, mainly in terms of how the off-map forces/assets/production are handled.

3. NetPlay expanded to 4 players (possibly 6)

Only after we're sure that NetPlay is very solid for 2 players, but we do not expect 4 or 6 player NetPlay to generate many issues that would not already appear in 2 player NetPlay. This is estimated to take 2-3 months of development time.

4. The AI (post-2015)

This is still something we plan to and want to do, but will nevertheless be a large task. Realistically this is not going to happen this year, but could be started before the end of next year. When we get started on this, more information and details will be provided. This could swap places with 4 player NetPlay in the priority order depending on community preference, though we expect 4 player NetPlay to be a much smaller task once we get to that point.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

My highest priority for additions to the game after bug fixes is a non-optional rule that is not yet coded: Neutrality pacts between countries other than Germany-Russia; in particular, one between the USSR and Japan.

As for which optional rules are the most important to me:
Naval Supply Units (I know you say it is one of the last; it is my top priority).
Bounce Combat.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

I wonder if by 2023, for the tenth anniversary, we will have the game described in the manual...
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

For the Peace step, that depends how long it takes to code: "Two major powers at war can agree to come to peace on any terms mutually acceptable (except for transferring units)."
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

For the Peace step, that depends how long it takes to code: "Two major powers at war can agree to come to peace on any terms mutually acceptable (except for transferring units)."

Yes, fully implementing that rule would be a nightmare. I would suggest three options: status quo ante bellum, front lines as they are, or, for Russia-Japan only, the two possible outcomes of mandatory peace. All of these could be supplemented by any trade agreement.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Looks like I've got a long wait before I'll play MWiF. Until we have oil tankers to alleviate the atrocious convoy function the whole oil rule function remains too aggravating to want to play the game. Playing without oil just isn't worth it either.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Possibly before the game is released [:)]

And "years away" sends a chill down my spine. This means that I have to change my last wills so that some five years old kid, maybe a friend's son, just showing interest in wargames will be able, as an adult, to inherit the working copy of my MWIF.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Return to “World in Flames”