WIF map pack

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

U47

WIF map pack

Post by U47 »

Does the WIF map pack come with chits, if not where is a good place to buy chits for the maps? Thanks
davidachamberlain

RE: WIF map pack

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: U47

Does the WIF map pack come with chits, if not where is a good place to buy chits for the maps? Thanks
No just the maps.

If you want the rest, you should instead buy a copy of the board game from ADG.

Dave
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

ORIGINAL: U47

No just the maps.

If you want the rest, you should instead buy a copy of the board game from ADG.

Dave
I believe ADG (Australian Design Group) sells the unit counters separately.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I hope you have a large gaming table [:)]

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
WiF_Map_Render.jpg
WiF_Map_Render.jpg (403.17 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Has anyone mounted them vertically on steel sheet with the counters magnetised? If so, could you post photos?

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Or on polystyrene panels and punch pins through the counters.....

Sorry, that was War In Europe many, many, many years ago[8D]
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Has anyone mounted them vertically on steel sheet with the counters magnetised? If so, could you post photos?

Cheers, Neilster

This is not me, but someone has done it:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/134580/world-flames
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Yes, this is an old image (not less merit to bring it up here [:)] ) but it's with the regular WIF map. [:'(]
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer

Cheers, Neilster

This is not me, but someone has done it:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/134580/world-flames
I've seen that, and it's impressive but that's not with the maps from MWiF. Looking at the image above, you'd need a stepladder to move units in the European Theatre. To mount the MWiF maps would require some serious dedication.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Agreed, the obvious solution is to lay it flat and build a complicated system of pulleys and scaffolding which would allow the players to be suspended above it and to "float around" and handle their counters without bumping heads or becoming hopelessly entangled with one another.
Paul
Viktor_Kormel_slith

Post by Viktor_Kormel_slith »

I introduce another elegant solution, look at these possible mwif players[:D]

Attachments
ANDAMIO3.jpg
ANDAMIO3.jpg (35.42 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Agreed, the obvious solution is to lay it flat and build a complicated system of pulleys and scaffolding which would allow the players to be suspended above it and to "float around" and handle their counters without bumping heads or becoming hopelessly entangled with one another.
Quite...like the mechanic from Mad Max 2.

Remember the poster who suggested wrapping the MWiF maps around a steel sphere? I was able to calculate the diameter of said sphere (almost exactly 2m) but pointed out the numerous problems with the idea. One of which was, how would you access say, both Northern Finland and Sydney? Some super-complicated, Hollywood special effects harness; probably electrically powered and controlled by toe movements? We're in Bond-villain territory here.

I hope the sphere is hollow because if it's solid, I calculate its mass as 3416kg. You might need to reinforce your game room floor, but I believe hollowed-out volcano flooring is naturally strong. Of course getting a thin walled, steel sphere with a radius of almost exactly 1.01m fabricated should be no trouble at all [;)]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
U47

Post by U47 »

Yeah, the more I've researched the WIF board game the more I realize how impractical the MWIF maps are haha. Thinking about picking up the super deluxe edition of WIF thankfully the AUS isn't worth anything so they're reasonably priced.
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Remember the poster who suggested wrapping the MWiF maps around a steel sphere? I was able to calculate the diameter of said sphere (almost exactly 2m) but pointed out the numerous problems with the idea. One of which was, how would you access say, both Northern Finland and Sydney? Some super-complicated, Hollywood special effects harness; probably electrically powered and controlled by toe movements? We're in Bond-villain territory here.

I hope the sphere is hollow because if it's solid, I calculate its mass as 3416kg. You might need to reinforce your game room floor, but I believe hollowed-out volcano flooring is naturally strong. Of course getting a thin walled, steel sphere with a radius of almost exactly 1.01m fabricated should be no trouble at all [;)]

Cheers, Neilster

Being the MWiF map a rectangle, it would be impossible to map it into an sphere, isn't it? A cylinder at most.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

A more practical solution would be leave a couple of 'aisles' between sections of the maps. For example, between the Americas and Asia, and cleaving Asia just west of India. There are 24 maps in the map packs, labeled A - F east to west and 1 - 4 north south. So AB, CD, and EF would be the separate segments.

You would still need to reach 3 and half feet to the middle of a segment.[8|]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

Cheers, Neilster

Being the MWiF map a rectangle, it would be impossible to map it into an sphere, isn't it? A cylinder at most.
The short answer is yes. The map is missing the Antarctic and high Arctic, but even if it were a square, it's still impossible to directly map it onto a sphere. This cool old video explains it while demonstrating globe production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWcWSN4HhI

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Or bring nice looking female players, so that you don't mind getting hopelessly entangled...
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

if I should use that map.

I would split it down the middle. so there are a place to stand in the middle of Africa. all the action would be on the north part of the map.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

if I should use that map.

I would split it down the middle. so there are a place to stand in the middle of Africa. all the action would be on the north part of the map.

The Lybian 1-4 Camel Corps has crossed the Sahara and went right through the center of the gap into oblivian... [:D]
Peter

Return to “World in Flames”