Looking for a German opponent for Youtube series

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

MarauderPL

Looking for a German opponent for Youtube series

Post by MarauderPL »

Hello,

I have finished my youtube series as the Germans, playing against the AI. Now I would like to create multiplayer one from the perspective of the Soviets.
The rules are: non-random weather, mild blizzard and +1 Sov Attack.

I would need an opponent who does not disappear if 1941 does not go perfect, but of course a surrender is an option (at any time, for either side) when the situation is completely unsalvageable.

Hopefully I'll be able to do about 3 turns a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

If you are interested, PM me :)
HardLuckYetAgain

RE: Looking for a German opponent for Youtube series

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: MarauderPL

Hello,

I have finished my youtube series as the Germans, playing against the AI. Now I would like to create multiplayer one from the perspective of the Soviets.
The rules are: non-random weather, mild blizzard and +1 Sov Attack.

I would need an opponent who does not disappear if 1941 does not go perfect, but of course a surrender is an option (at any time, for either side) when the situation is completely unsalvageable.

Hopefully I'll be able to do about 3 turns a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

If you are interested, PM me :)

Hmmmmm, this could be interesting. But the +1 Soviet Attack during the Winter months is just OP :(

What is your skill level?
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

I thought the general consensus is that either mild/+1 or severe/+0 is considered a fair ruleset, i prefer the former due to more interesting gameplay (attacks and counterattacks).

It is hard to judge one's own skill level, my experience is not that high, but I trust that my abilities may be a reasonable challenge for you and could make for an interesting game :)
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

The game is truly more dynamic with +1 attack bonus/mild blizzard.

Both side have more tactical options.

Brakes are for cowards !!
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

The game is truly more dynamic with +1 attack bonus/mild blizzard.

Both side have more tactical options.

Not to start a flame war in the looking for player section but I see it differently. Not because of the +1 during the non blizzard turns but during the blizzard in general. A soviet player of medium/high intermediate skill level or expert level can make the +1 attack during the blizzard "ludicrous". That sir is not a dynamic tactical option for both sides.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain
Not to start a flame war in the looking for player section but I see it differently. Not because of the +1 during the non blizzard turns but during the blizzard in general. A soviet player of medium/high intermediate skill level or expert level can make the +1 attack during the blizzard "ludicrous". That sir is not a dynamic tactical option for both sides.

Still you may agree that mild winter allow more flexibility for germany ? Moral looses for example in severe winter looks quite harsh and can prevent him for counter attacking or trying to fight.

I hope to see the ludicrous +1 soviet blizzard between expert players in an AAR one day, it looks really fun [;)]
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

Still you may agree that mild winter allow more flexibility for germany ? Moral looses for example in severe winter looks quite harsh and can prevent him for counter attacking or trying to fight.

I hope to see the ludicrous +1 soviet blizzard between expert players in an AAR one day, it looks really fun [;)]

There are already AAR's with the ludicrous +1 Soviet blizzard between expert players. Just need to look for them :)
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

To contribute to the hijacking of this thread: As I understand Stelteck is "looking" for a recent AAR with a very good German player who has taken a lot off ground (like 3 out of Leningrad, Moscow, Voronesh, Rostov or Leningrad and Moscow, but not the rest) but gets crushed by the +1 in blizzard.
If you know an AAR fulfilling all conditions point us towards it. Or do one yourself :)
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

To contribute to the hijacking of this thread: As I understand Stelteck is "looking" for a recent AAR with a very good German player who has taken a lot off ground (like 3 out of Leningrad, Moscow, Voronesh, Rostov or Leningrad and Moscow, but not the rest) but gets crushed by the +1 in blizzard.
If you know an AAR fulfilling all conditions point us towards it. Or do one yourself :)

Hmmmmm, maybe there was a post that I missed where Stelteck asked that. Still didnt see it after scrolling back through it. Or was it that this was added after the fact by you? My point is plain and simple. The +1 Soviet bonus during the blizzard is over the top if you know how to use it correctly.
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

I will be playing the onscreen game vs Telemecus, but thanks to all who wanted to participate.
The thread may be closed, but if anyone wants to continue the discussion about the balance here, its not a problem :)

And if anybody is interested in watching the epic struggle, my youtube nickname is the same as here. (Shameless marketing :D)
First episode, due to anti-spoiler delay, will be probably in a couple of weeks (2?).
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Good luck, have a nice game !!
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

you really shouldn't tease like that - POST THE YOU TUBE LINK YOU HESSIAN !
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I was a bit surprised to see myself replying to a request for an opponent as I was not planning to do another game of WitE - but when I saw this post I thought yes I want to do that! So I am very grateful to MarauderPL for choosing me.

I have dipped in to MarauderPL's videos before. But my best experience was of a real life friend who took up the game seriously after seeing the videos. I had introduced them to the game knowing they would like it - but only if they got past the hurdle of learning how to play. I imagine they probably never would have bothered going through the manual first. There are times when "show do not tell" really is the best way - and after watching some of the videos they are now hooked and have the joy (or curse) of playing it for hours as I do. So I think those who enjoy and love the game should support initiatives like this.

I know from my brief forays into videos that the time to set them up properly is longer than you might think. MarauderPL is the director and lead actor, I am only a supporting player. But I am excited and hope I can do my bit to make them the most interesting and informative videos. As such "winning" will take second place to whatever makes the YouTube videos great. And if showing information about the Axis side is the best for that, that is what I will go with.

Now as supporting actor I hope my role is not to be the innocent and hapless, but oh so beautiful, victim who dies in the opening scene. If I can avoid MarauderPL marching into Poland in 1942 I think MarauderPL will like to go for the full 200+ turns game. I have warned MarauderPL that I am not a quick player. Even without real life interruptions I do not do a turn a day apart from maybe a very quiet bad weather turn - and do not know how anyone can. And in particular I take longer for the first few turns as I set up everything the way I like it. So in my experience the long game is months rather than weeks. Hopefully the quality makes the wait worthwhile?

I suggested the no+1/full blizzard partly because I think it is quicker. Having to worry less about an opponents counters during your offensives shaves miliseconds of every move which adds up to a lot over a whole game. I guess this is the other side of being interesting. Also there is the point about +1 in first blizzard making an unbalanced game - so what is tactically interesting could be strategically less interesting. I had personal reasons for prefering no+1/ full blizzard as I am more used to it and would have to get a feel again for the other rule set. But I left MarauderPL to make the final decision knowing these possibilities as I think the creative director should have full discretion to make their baby. I know I may be making MarauderPL out to be Fellini directing his next cinematic masterpiece - but what is good enough for the Oscars is good enough for YouTube War in the East videos!

MarauderPL wants to go with +1/mild blizzard and I will support that. When I started playing WitE there were no options for reduced blizzard or no+1 - you had to take it all and like it. The blizzard is if anything less severe now. So we forget what a luxury it is to have these possibilities. But if it does lead to my humiliating defeat at least I have the consolation of knowing no one will see it except MarauderPL and myself. And the millions who watch YouTube every day! So you will have a superb instructional video in why not to have +1/mild blizzard!

I think Stelteck will be hiring out a cinema to watch it on a big screen from the front row with a crate of popcorn to really "enjoy" the experience! [;)]

My opening turn is in and I have chosen a different from the normal opening in the South. Probably the worst one given the game options chosen. But certainly the more interesting one. Game on - and look forward to seeing your comments on the YouTube video page!
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

A human vs. human youtube AAR of WitE is what the world needs! Curious which opening you have chosen.
I was not planning to do another game of WitE
You have reached the next step of the career ladder Telemecus: You now simply take command over other people who play the army groups for you.
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

Thank you Telemecus for kind words!

Episode 0 already in the oven, waiting to be posted ;) The show is on, bois! :D
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist
You have reached the next step of the career ladder Telemecus: You now simply take command over other people who play the army groups for you.

The end destination there is not to play at all - people pay you to use your brand name for their games to strike dread and fear into their opponents hearts!
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “Opponents Wanted”