Reserves and Arty Support

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

BK6583

Reserves and Arty Support

Post by BK6583 »

I think I know the answer but want to make sure given that I have to prioritize scarce German arty spt units. A German cbt unit is attacked and its parent corps HQ is within five hexes and has six arty spt units assigned. If a German cbt unit with a different parent corps HQ is committed as a reserve to the cbt unit being attacked, can the parent corps HQ of the committed reserve cbt unit provide art spt in excess of the six that the original HQ is already providing (assumes that that HQ is also withing five hexes of the attacked hex)?
Telemecus

RE: Reserves and Arty Support

Post by Telemecus »

I have seen many examples of more than 6 SUs being committed when units from two different direct HQs are in the same battle. I cannot remember if any of them were a reserve activation rather than just being selected from the start for the battle - but my understanding is this should make no difference. I also cannot remember if it was ever 6 from 1 and more from another. Usually it tends to be 5 from one HQ and 4 from the other or similar numbers. My understanding is how many get committed from one is independent of how many get committed from the other.

Taking a guess at the purpose of the question I think the lesson is having multiple HQs for different units in a battle will leave some with a battle penalty, but this is compensated for partly by the fact that many more SUs can join in.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”