How to defend Malta?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.
stelel

How to defend Malta?

Post by stelel »

Hi,

What is the best way to defend Malta? It seems the AA unit based there can repel the Axis attempts for a couple of turns but will eventually get destroyed if the Axis commit enough air power.

Did someone tried to use something else to defend? Inf Corps / Army / Fighter (there's one whose name is Malta). I also thought of deploying 2 aircraft carriers in Malta ports...?
yeti
Sugar

RE: How to defend Malta?

Post by Sugar »

I fear there is no way to defend Malta at least. One could make the Axis pay a slightly higher price by upgrading the stronghold with AD. To station carriers in the ports is not a brilliant idea I guess, the port won`t protect them from being attacked by enemy bombers, and the cags can`t compete with fighters, since their attack/defensevalues are worse by 1 point, and the german fighters often will have superior tech in addition.

One could try to replace the damaged AA by another one every turn (if he can get them there through the med. sea), but here´s the question if it`s really worth the effort.

It`s like mostly in the first years of war, if the Axis wants to have it, they will get it. The best strategy I guess is to delay and make them pay for it.
stelel

Post by stelel »

Thanks Sugar... that s the answer I feared [:'(]
yeti
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

It's true that the Axis can take Malta if they commit enough resources to it, but I suspect there's a bit of an opportunity cost for them, especially if the Allies invest a minimal number of MPPs.

Actually, defending Malta should start well before the Axis can commit to attacking it.

I like to invest in AA research for Great Britain as soon as the war breaks out (having level-2 AA is VERY useful for defending the Home Islands as well as Malta)

As soon as Italy enters the war, the RN and the French fleet (while you still have it) should hammer the Italian navy and kill or cripple as many battleships as possible. This makes it hard for the Axis to bombard Malta later and reduce its supply. Upgrade the AA unit stationed there to level-1 and also upgrade the AA level of the town. You can even upgrade the AA of one or both of the ports to make to safer for a carrier to park there, or you can hide the carrier a few hexes offshore.

Assuming that France falls in late June or early July of 1940, the Germans won't be able to get their air units to Southern Italy until August or September. By that point you have a good chance of having level-2 AA, which reduces the effectiveness of ground attack significantly.

With luck and some forethought, you can get the Axis to spend several turns attacking your "unsinkable aircraft carrier." They may eventually take it, but at a cost of tying up air assets that could be used more effectively elsewhere.
stelel

Post by stelel »

Thank you for sharing this. Will try and follow your advice
yeti
wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

I was going to ask the group, How do you TAKE Malta? Maybe chalk it up to being a newbe to this game.
Wurger
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

No worries Newby, it has been asked so many times that one guy got tired of answering and did this:
tm.asp?m=4218403
wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

Thanks sPz. With a little poking around, I found everything I ever wanted, and more. [&:] I've been a big War in Europe/Computer War in Europe fan since the '70s, This looks like a worthy replacement.
Wurger
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I never played that one. I was looking for a replacement for AH's Third Reich and Three-Sixty's High Command when I found SC3.
wurger54

Post by wurger54 »

Just took Malta from the AI. Feeling pretty studly about it. [X(] Now I'm up against a human who seems very tricky indeed. We'll see how he acquits himself.
Wurger

Return to “The War Room”