Last We Heard... Pitaman (Axis) vs. M60A3TTS (Sov)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

M60A3TTS

RE: Last We Heard... Pitaman (Axis) vs. M60A3TTS (Sov)

Post by M60A3TTS »

Week 53

The Voronezh Front is activated and Comrade Stalin requests that Chief of the General Staff Vatutin take command of this new organization. He says he prefers to see his top leaders at the front rather than the halls of the STAVKA. In fact, Comrade Stalin is highly suspicious and distrusts successful generals. They might get too comfortable in their position and make powerful friends in Moscow, becoming potential troublemakers later. General Armii Tolbukhin gives up his command of 10th Army to assume the role of Chief of Staff. The following week Nikolai Vatutin will be elevated to the rank of Marshal. (Game note: this is a complete waste of APs, but I can afford it under the current circumstances as the fastest way to get certain generals to marshal which has no importance in the game. But I like the historical marshals in the game where possible, so why not?

A last week of mud slows our efforts to re-position rifle forces, but the more mobile corps are on trains headed for the Kursk sector. The ground crews of the Luftwaffe perform miracles in restoring hundreds of damaged aircraft into operational condition. They manage to put almost 600 more planes into service.

The area of the Kursk sector sees some minor re-positioning of forces while we await the return of the needed cavalry-mechanized groups.

chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

He should prolly just concede at this point. 30+ Axis divisions already lost he has no hope of gaining any momentum in 1942. Esp since about a third his armor will be out of action for most of the summer rebuilding.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Week 54

Good weather is here to stay for a while. The Germans renew the Kursk offensive, although the committed forces are now considerably less.

STAVKA will have Voronezh Front commit the guards rifle corps of the 39th and 48th Armies in a counterattack from the northeast while 6th and 7th Guards Armies supported by CMG Bobkin attack from the south. Additional forces will prepare for secondary offensive operations to disrupt enemy plans of attack.

Week 55

The German offensive at Kursk continues. They are within 30 miles of the city itself.

Farther south, our operations are succeeding in pushing the enemy back.

Northwest of Poltava, weak Axis forces are targeted for action by our cavalry-mechanized troops.

Air losses are not as high on both sides, but neither are the previous air inventories.

Ground losses

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Week 56 was played about 3 weeks ago and there are no screenies, so straight to week 57 then...

At Smolensk, a little back and forth fighting, but nothing of significance. There is not any value doing something major.

The German offensive at Kursk has officially run its course. The enemy is pushed back to the west.

A new Red Army offensive west of Poltava sees our forces pushing towards the River Sula.

The Germans are slowly bleeding to death as the Ostheer falls to slightly over 3.2 million. Artillery, AFVs and aircraft all trending the same direction. And it's mid-July 1942.

And the air war continues along the same line as the most recent weeks.

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Week 58

The panzers are attempting regroup as our forces surround Poltava.

Near Zaporozhye, the entire east bank of the Molochna is cleared of enemy forces. There is an option now to just keep the line where it is all summer long.

Week 59

The Ostheer has lost another 60,000 from their OOB in just two weeks.

Red Army units push locally west of Kursk

Our advance towards the Sula has been checked in places by counterattacking panzer forces. With success comes a price, as their tanks steadily are falling out of service. Poltava has been liberated.

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

I think that I owe you one. Pitaman's LW has been almost invisible in our game. I suspect that he does not want me to do what you've done.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Weeks 60-62

This latest update is now only 3 turns behind.

Not much to report as we are trading the same hexes northwest of Zaporoyzhe and only marginal gains elsewhere. The lack of rifle corps currently limits the progress that I can make and his panzers are burned out to a point where they cannot break through.

Kursk

Lower Dnepr

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Week 63

Slow going east of Smolensk, but at least it is moving in the right direction.

In the south similar slogging to try and clear the enemy east of the Psel and Sula Rivers.

The Luftwaffe continues to train recruits for the "Divine Wind" Geschwader.

OOB

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Week 64

In the north, the Finns and Germans keep up their isolated attacks.

Punching and counter-punching in the area round Poltava.

A reduced German garrison invites a massed attack of Guards rifle corps against Zaporozhye. Victory is achieved.

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Weeks 65-69 Closing out the summer campaign

Some movement to the west amidst more slugging it out with my opponent.

Smolensk-Bryansk

Kursk-Sumy

3rd Shock Army spearheads an attempt to advance northeast of Cherkassy

OOB

bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

his bomber loses are stunning. that is why i as a Wehrmacht Player have only my Transporters, fighters and dive Bombers at the frontline from end of 1941 on.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Do you bomb the enemy airbases with your level bombers? Long term it should be possible to completely destroy the German fighter force which makes the bomber force worthless as well?
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

In 1941 I tend to use the IL-4, DB-3B, SB-2 and Pe-2 level bombers to supplement the tactical bombers mainly because the tac air force is small in numbers. By 1942 that has changed as the IL-2 factories come up to full production around the May time frame.

My TB-3 bombers are now used as transports, along with the few Yer-2 and TB-3G-2 aircraft. About 15 regiments can supply an isolated army with 500+ tons of supplies a week.

In 1942 and beyond I can bomb the airbases with level bombers and leave the tactical air forces alone to do the ground support work.

It's not easy to wipe the Luftwaffe out, mainly because in winter, LBs don't tend to fly, so the inventories rebuild at that time. But in Baba's example if this threat keeps his level bombers out of the picture beyond 1941, that is a bloodless victory for the VVS.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Mud and Beyond

The Fall rains came and went.

On turn 77, I prodded a couple regiments south of Lake Ilmen to see what sort of response it would illicit.

On turn 78, since his response was rather muted, it was deemed appropriate to commit something a tad more substantial.

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Turn 79

Mid-December 1942

The Lake Ilmen attacks draw off German forces from the north. A considerable number of Luftwaffe field divisions are operating in this area.

A general offensive is kicked off south of Smolensk.

General Armii Vasilevsky commits his guards armies in the area of Chigirin and crosses the Dnepr at three points.

bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

holy moly. never saw such a Russian steamroller in late 42. just the sheer number of successful attacks is impressive.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Turns 80-82

Chernyakhovsky's 3rd Shock Army approaches Kiev. Marshal Vatutin has orders from the STAVKA to take the city during this offensive.

Farther to the south, Cherkassy is liberated and the bridgehead expanded west of the Dnepr.

In the Smolensk region, Marshal Zhukov is outside the city.

Ground losses of over 50k for the Axis forces

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Turns 83-85

The southern Ilmen offensive has quickly ended as the enemy quickly reinforces the area. The action is not a failure though, as the Finns are now more vulnerable to attack in eastern Karelia. Some mobile troops are already preparing for redeployment to a new area.

In the area of Smolensk, troops of Marshal Zhukov's Western Front continue their advance to the west.

At Kiev, Marshal Vatutin's troops are over the Dnepr north of the city. Eastern Kiev is in Soviet hands.

Farther south, Marshal Konev's troops continue to battle against multiple German tank corps.

M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

I haven't updated this lately in part that Photobucket is now charging $400 US annually for 3rd party hosting of .jpg files, such as on this forum. That's certainly their call but I have no interest in incurring that sort of expense as you might imagine.

Dropbox is a possible alternative, but the previous images posted to date aren't worth my time copying over. So whether it's worth continuing this AAR is something I have to mull over.
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

I haven't updated this lately in part that Photobucket is now charging $400 US annually for 3rd party hosting of .jpg files, such as on this forum. That's certainly their call but I have no interest in incurring that sort of expense as you might imagine.

Dropbox is a possible alternative, but the previous images posted to date aren't worth my time copying over. So whether it's worth continuing this AAR is something I have to mull over.

One option would be to place the reports in a word/pdf file and then zip it for uploading to the server. It does require the reader to have access to a zip file converter, but if the alternative is to discontinue the report, that might not be the worst option.
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra

Return to “After Action Reports”