Air planes production

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

lowsugar

Air planes production

Post by lowsugar »

Is it possible to control it to a certain degree? Later in the war i would like to spend supplies to produce rather fighters than bombers.
Telemecus

RE: Air planes production

Post by Telemecus »

AFAIK there is no way to control directly the different levels of different types of aircraft production, only an overall aircraft production setting. Certainly as Axis it would be nice to shift production to fighters. There are some things you can do however. As Soviets you have control of when and how to evacuate - some have advocated evacuating U2-VS factories towards the German advance! Similarly you can decide what are the priority factories to defend. By actively using manual swaps you can not only downgrade to earlier models or fighter bombers but also swap them to just over half their ToE - so you lose just over 20 aircraft in a withdrawal rather than 40 in a group say, with just under 20 going back in to the pool. You can also throttle replacements in withdrawing groups. These methods can save 100s of aircraft in a game. But the ideal of a control simply to change the proportions of aircraft in production I believe does not exist and that was intended by the developers.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
lowsugar

Post by lowsugar »

Where can i check when air groups whithdraw and what do you mean by" swap them to just over half their toe"? Thanks for response.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: lowsugar
Where can i check when air groups withdraw

The best place is the arrivals/withdrawals screen in the info screens section. Beware there is a toggle button in the top right to go for air units rather than ground units - but I cannot see it unless I resize the window in my computer and for a long time had no idea it was there. The numbers for ready/reserved/damaged next to the air groups are updated. And by not allowing replacements for airgroups coming up to their withdrawal with enough time those numbers ideally should be zero when their time for withdrawal arrives. Note: disbands see their aircraft return to the pool so you would treat them in a different way.

The withdrawals and disbands are also on the individual air group details cards. And you can also see it in a spreadsheet if you go to the editor and export a CSV for the airgroups in the scenario you want to view. But spreadsheets might be more my idea of fun than for others! [:)]
ORIGINAL: lowsugar
what do you mean by" swap them to just over half their toe"? Thanks for response.

There is an example of it in our team game that you can see using manual swaps to Bf109E-3s in turn 5. But I will describe it so everyone visiting the forums can know it. By turn 5 there were 143 Bf109E-3s in the pool - a number that had been decreasing because of replacements to airgroups, exports to Rumania and conversions to fighter bombers. At this point I manually swapped three withdrawing airgroups to Bf109E-3s so that at least they would leave with older airframes. This left 23 in the pool. I then did a fourth manual swap of IJG53 (which leaves on turn 8) to Bf109E-3s, so instead of leaving with say 40 good fighters it would leave with no more than 23 Bf109E-3s (replacements of course off until it withdraws). Spending 4 points, which many do anyway to get older models into withdrawing groups, also saved a net 17 fighters from being withdrawn at all. If I had waited another turn there would have been less than 20 in the pool and it could not have been done. Any earlier and fewer planes would be saved.

By managing carefully which groups get replacements and which have autoswaps allowed you can minimise how many aircraft get withdrawn. If operationally you can prioritise your soon to be withdrawing groups for airmissions (so they get the losses) you could get it almost to zero. The problem is the airgroups at the beginning that withdraw too soon, or groups that leave shortly after they arrive. For those I try to manage the pools to get just over 20 of an old downgrade model when I need it and do a manual swap to reduce the number of aircraft withdrawn - although at the cost of points.

If you look at the numbers next to withdrawing airgroups on the arrivals/withdrawals list at the start of turn 1 you will see there are 1,000s of aircraft (including fighters) you are loosing. Managing that so that you keep 1,000s of aircraft (including fighters) is worthwhile in my opinion. But it is part of the having fun/ doing micromanagement balance.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
lowsugar

Post by lowsugar »

Indeed worthwile to take a closer look. Very helpfull post.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”