OT: Don't do this!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chickenboy

OT: Don't do this!

Post by Chickenboy »

I hope the video he captured on his iPad was worth it. Knucklehead...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c28_1497339465
dr.hal

RE: OT: Don't do this!

Post by dr.hal »

Darwin at work.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Hit in the head by the horns. I'm not sure he'll even remember you took the iPad video, even if he ever sees it.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Stupid.....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

For craptacular movie realism, my (also a veterinarian) spouse and I like to laugh at Jurassic Park (the original). One of our 'favorite' bits from that involves the two urchins du jour hand feeding some Apatosauri. When the girl shrinks back from their immensity in fear, her brother tells her that "they're plant eaters, so they can't hurt you." [:D]

I guess they've never heard of elephants, hippopottami, bulls, wild boar or cape buffalo.

New rule of thumb / public service announcement: If they've got big tusks or horns stay the **** away. [:D]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

For craptacular movie realism, my (also a veterinarian) spouse and I like to laugh at Jurassic Park (the original). One of our 'favorite' bits from that involves the two urchins du jour hand feeding some Apatosauri. When the girl shrinks back from their immensity in fear, her brother tells her that "they're plant eaters, so they can't hurt you." [:D]

I guess they've never heard of elephants, hippopottami, bulls, wild boar or cape buffalo.

New rule of thumb / public service announcement: If they've got big tusks or horns stay the **** away. [:D]
Heck, if you have ever fed a horse and gotten nipped, you know that "plant eaters" are not completely harmless. Porcupines are plant eaters!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

He did seem pretty casual about the whole process . . . the process which includes 2k of angry bull.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

He did seem pretty casual about the whole process . . .

Aye. Very laid back. And down. And upside-down. And cross-wise.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Yes, I don't like to see this sort of stuff.
Grown men out for a lark playing around with large animals.

The bull could have been hurt.
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

WELL.... that was a lot of bull.

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I feel bad for the guy. In 1978 that was me.

Terceira , is the island that Lajes AFB is located on. The "Bull fights" , are huge festival days that pretty much close down the entire town. Fortunately every town has at least one a year so you can usually find one.

In 1978 I was a 20 year old AW-AN (E-3) with almost no experience of the world. As I was in a Reserve squadron where the average enlisted guy was a 40 something year old 1st class petty officer , I was the one and only "kid" in my unit. (There was one "TAR"--active duty kid the same age that became my partner in crime, "Billy").

We were anxious to see one of these "Bull fights" (as the locals called them) but we'd received warning after warning "Don't fxxx with the bulls". As a matter of fact , several people actually went to mast for it.

As My nickname was "The Boy Scout" , I obviously had no intention of getting into trouble. I just wanted some photo9graphs. And I had a brand new 110 pocket camera to get them. Those of you that had such a beast will recall that you had a little square to aim through. Unluck other cameras it not only didn't magnify what you were shooting at , it in fact DE-magnified it. As I said , I wasn't all that experienced with the world and didn't know that.

The town had been closed off , windows and doors barricaded , fences put up on the sidewalks , and plenty of places to hide behind. So I kept behind them , but just could not get a single decent shot. Then the crowd started running away from where I was at , so I figured the bull was headed the other way. So I stepped out into the street and looked down the sight. I figured that if the crowd started heading my way , it would warn me "Time to seek cover". So I'm looking down this sight , watching a world that seemed a million miles away from me when Billy says "Steve, you might want to get up here". "Just a second Bill, I just want this one.....". At that precise moment I learned 3 very important life lessons. 1) Bulls are fast...very fast.2) crowds don't always do what you think. (In this case instead of running away from the bull, they simple and prudently got the heck out of the way. and 3rd....110mm cameras DON'T magnify!!! After Bill yelled at me again my eye slipped over the view finder to find a very fast but confused bull within spitting distance. I turned and ran, just slightly faster than the bull. (Personally I think he gave me a slight lead just to make it sporting!). Unfortunately I didn't see a fence , or barricade or anything else to get behind. A local boy of about 7 jumped down in front of me , so I followed. Fortunately he broke my fall. We had jumped off about a 15 foot drop onto a ledge! The bull took one look , shook his head as if to say "Idiots! I could have told you that was (or wasn't) there. Then he backed off and started chasing smarter prey. The "local" boy , wasn't he was from another village and he didn't know the place any better than me.

Some how we both survived , I didn't get caught (or killed by the bull) , but my brand new camera was toast. I didn't get any photo's that trip. But I saved up all year and the next time we went back to Lajes I had a brand new Pentax K-1000 with the biggest telephoto lens I could afford. El Torro (not what the Portuguese call the bull) never got that close to me again.

And I learned the best place to watch people screw with bulls is on a second floor balcony with a telephoto lens and a bottle of local rose. [:o] [:(][8|][:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The sun also rises. Ole!

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

And I learned the best place to watch people screw with bulls is on a second floor balcony

You had to learn that...[8|]

I have certain 'rules' of life that I have developed, some from a very early age.

#1: 'Don't poke the bear'.[:D]

Anyway, its like I say... Take away all the warning signs and let nature take its course.[:)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
And I learned the best place to watch people screw with bulls is on a second floor balcony

I have certain 'rules' of life that I have developed, some from a very early age.

Anyway, its like I say... Take away all the warning signs and let nature take its course.[:)]
+1
I was recently at Page, Arizona and visited the nearby Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River, a section of the Glen Canyon above the Grand Canyon. Beautiful scenery, canyon that looked 2000 feet deep. There were signs saying not to stand on the lip of the rim and a graphic showing a stick man standing on an overhang which was breaking away from the rim.
Next to this sign a young man and his girl were sitting with their legs dangling over the edge of the rim. I said "Man, that's just stupid" and they seemed to listen - they got up and moved away from the rim. Ten minutes later, I saw the guy's head barely above the rim of the canyon as he stood on a tiny ledge and held his cell phone up to get a selfie. At that point I knew there was no hope of saving him from himself - he will eventually die from his own adrenalin and illusion of indestructability. Darwin awards candidate.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: rustysi

+1
I was recently at Page, Arizona and visited the nearby Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River, a section of the Glen Canyon above the Grand Canyon. Beautiful scenery, canyon that looked 2000 feet deep. There were signs saying not to stand on the lip of the rim and a graphic showing a stick man standing on an overhang which was breaking away from the rim.
Next to this sign a young man and his girl were sitting with their legs dangling over the edge of the rim. I said "Man, that's just stupid" and they seemed to listen - they got up and moved away from the rim. Ten minutes later, I saw the guy's head barely above the rim of the canyon as he stood on a tiny ledge and held his cell phone up to get a selfie. At that point I knew there was no hope of saving him from himself - he will eventually die from his own adrenalin and illusion of indestructability. Darwin awards candidate.
People fall over the edge of the Grand Canyon every year. It's like they think nature should come with railings.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, but think of the great memories and belly laughs he will have when he looks back at the video over the years. Good times....[8|]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
casmithasl

Post by casmithasl »

Park Rangers and Tour Guides call them tourones.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”