Question about repair yards

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Shark7

Question about repair yards

Post by Shark7 »

Since I can't remember, and can't seem to find the answer I am looking for (yes my forum search skills are as bad as my game skills ATM):

Do repair shipyards use HI to produce their repair daily points? Or supply for that matter.

If not, is there any reason not to expand said shipyards to large sizes? Would seem prudent if it only costs you the initial expansion costs and does not have a daily HI cost attached like everything else in the economic model. Especially since repair points can't be stored by must be used the same turn they are generated.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
BBfanboy

RE: Question about repair yards

Post by BBfanboy »

No HI or supply is used in conducting repairs, but I think the base must have supply for the SY to function (presumably to feed the workers as part of the daily supply consumption).

In addition to the 100 supply per point to initially expand the SY size, you then have to expend 1000 supply per point to "repair" the new SY points to operational status. The Allies cannot expand their SY but have the supply to fix any damaged or undeveloped SY points they want. The Japanese can expand the SYs as much as their supply allows, but they can easily cause themselves an overall supply deficit if they overdo it. Keep a tight budget on your supply!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Thanks for clarifying. My main concern playing the Japanese side is always keeping a watch on HI and where its being spent. Supply can be a problem as well, but not as devastating.

Seems to me that improving 1 or 2 RYs to about 100 in size is reasonable, just be sure to do it a few points increase at a time.

In many way, the Allied side is easier, at least as far as production goes since you don't get a say in it. Economy management for the IJN player can turn into a nightmare, and over-building one thing can crash the whole thing if you aren't careful.
Distant Worlds Fan

dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Thanks for clarifying. My main concern playing the Japanese side is always keeping a watch on HI and where its being spent. Supply can be a problem as well, but not as devastating.

Seems to me that improving 1 or 2 RYs to about 100 in size is reasonable, just be sure to do it a few points increase at a time.

In many way, the Allied side is easier, at least as far as production goes since you don't get a say in it. Economy management for the IJN player can turn into a nightmare, and over-building one thing can crash the whole thing if you aren't careful.

I strongly urge you to read the Ship Repair Guide that was authored by Alfred. Here's a link to it:

tm.asp?m=2990845&mpage=1&key=ship%2Crepair%2Cguide
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I have read it, unfortunately I get lost in the details. I need the simple, paraphrased version.
Distant Worlds Fan

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I have read it, unfortunately I get lost in the details. I need the simple, paraphrased version.

Problem is, there isn't a simple version. Ship repair is in the top areas of the game where optimization really matters. Areas of Japan's economy as well, but ship repair is applicable to both sides. You can muddle along and get things done more or less, but really understanding how to optimize can increase results by 50% or more.
The Moose
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

One thing to keep in mind if you wish to convert the Japanese CS's to CVL's is you must do it in Tokyo and the repair yard must be at 50 in order to allow the conversion (at least for the two that will convert in November). The other two only need a yard of 25 and may be done anywhere. Tokyo repair yard starts the game at 10 (at least in stock), so there's 40 you need from the get go.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

If u dont convert the cs into cvls do u consider a waste. What do u use the cs instead as float planes carriers?
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

If u dont convert the cs into cvls do u consider a waste.

No. I just think the CVL's are more versatile.
What do u use the cs instead as float planes carriers?

The CS's are essentially float plane carriers. At the start of the game very useful, but by the time their conversions come due I feel their usefulness in that role is waning. Besides Japan gets no carriers in '43 and even these four light guys arriving late in the year is better than nothing. Of course JMHO. YMMV.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

szmike

Post by szmike »

Also of note, if you're building Yamato/Musashi and they happen to lose one of their big guns, you have nowhere to replace it unless you build up a repair yard up to 166 iirc.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

So it sounds like you do need at least one big repair yard, and since the CS>CVL conversion are useful, Tokyo it is.
Distant Worlds Fan

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Well Yokohama is at 90 at start, and Hiroshima is 100 at start. Not sure about others. There may be one or two more somewhat large repair yards I don't recall. I believe its pretty necessary for Japan to enlarge some yards as the game goes on to take care of all the repairs that'll surely be needed. Not to mention the time it takes to repair some of her larger vessels. You say 166 to repair a Yamato turret. Wow![X(]

So while building up Tokyo it'll still not be the largest, but necessary at any rate I believe.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”