Magic Carpet

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pnzrgnral

Magic Carpet

Post by pnzrgnral »

Just curious. Has anyone ever conducted a Magic Carpet at your end game? Let's say you were bored, waiting on an opponent's PBEM turn, and had a game going against the AI and you'd taken everything but maybe left Tokyo besieged and burned out, and wanted to see exactly what it took to ship everything back to home bases. This thought struck me while reading certain ship histories, including those of captured vessels impressed into Magic Carpet service.
Rangers Lead The Way!
Sua Sponte
BBfanboy

RE: Magic Carpet

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: pnzrgnral

Just curious. Has anyone ever conducted a Magic Carpet at your end game? Let's say you were bored, waiting on an opponent's PBEM turn, and had a game going against the AI and you'd taken everything but maybe left Tokyo besieged and burned out, and wanted to see exactly what it took to ship everything back to home bases. This thought struck me while reading certain ship histories, including those of captured vessels impressed into Magic Carpet service.
You won't be able to quite match historic magic carpet repatriation. IIRC, some CVs were used - landing their aircraft at a base so the hangar decks could be used for troops. I don't think the game will let you load troops on an Allied CV.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
pnzrgnral

Post by pnzrgnral »

BBfanboy, I agree, many ship types won't be usable in game for this purpose due to lack of cargo capacity, and CV-6 Enterprise was one such carrier employed bringing troops home. I was just curious whether anyone's ever attempted this :)
Rangers Lead The Way!
Sua Sponte
DD696

Post by DD696 »

It would make for an interesting and unusual end to the game. In real life, DD696 - USS English - participated in the Magic Carpet ride back to San Francisco. As said above, many of the ships used for this have no troop capacity for this.

Of course, it is possible to add troop capability to a late war class upgrade that would accomplish this.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

And then there are all those POWs liberated at the end of the war that are not represented in game. I've never seen mention of numbers by theatre of ops, so I don't know how you could build in the thousands of disabled troops involved. But feel free to create an army of nurses to tend to them! [:)]
I'm sure MakeeLearn could come up with a suitable unit picture for them!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

And then there are all those POWs liberated at the end of the war that are not represented in game. I've never seen mention of numbers by theatre of ops, so I don't know how you could build in the thousands of disabled troops involved. But feel free to create an army of nurses to tend to them! [:)]

I've wondered of late what became of the Canadians present at Hong Kong. I assume, like most other early war POWs, that they fared poorly, but am curious about their experiences. Do you have a recommended biography or other book on the topic?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Haven't seen a book specifically about that battle, although I have read newspaper articles about it since the Winnipeg Grenadiers were there.
I think about 40% if the Canadians lived through the camps and came home, but most had nutrition deficit diseases like beriberi.

A Canadian Brigadier was killed during the battle. I remember reading that when the Canadians arrived he was appalled at the unpreparedness of the garrison. There were outposts in the mountains set up to give early warning of Japanese movements, but no men were assigned to the outposts. The garrison that had been there for ages did not want to leave the city where they had barracks (and probably, Chinese girlfriends).

The Canadians had barely begun to dig in around the perimeter when the Japanese attacked. The Japanese had lots of artillery and MGs, the Canadians had, at best, 3" mortars. No contest in the result, although the defenders earned the Japanese respect for their determination. IIRC, they allowed the Brigadier to be buried with full honours before they marched the prisoners off.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I've wondered of late what became of the Canadians present at Hong Kong. I assume, like most other early war POWs, that they fared poorly, but am curious about their experiences. Do you have a recommended biography or other book on the topic?
http://www.hkvca.ca/index.php
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

In RHS mod you can convert late CVs into huge AKVs with 30,000 cargo capacity and perform the Magic Carpet.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”