The Gamiest Game in Town - EL (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

adarbrauner

RE: The Gamiest Game in Town. El Lobo (J), vs. Rio Bravo (A)

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: el lobo

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Ah, we do play quite differently. I do not place anywhere near that level of import in '43 on the Burma road.
This is about 1600 AV knocking on the door, which as you have pointed-out, has a higher equivalency in fire power than the Japanese have at this stage of the game.

If I did not have sufficient forces here, where do you think they would be a month from now?

I think it's less than 1600 AV, the number should comprise 1/4 of non-combatant, support troops?
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Ah, we do play quite differently. I do not place anywhere near that level of import in '43 on the Burma road.
This is about 1600 AV knocking on the door, which as you have pointed-out, has a higher equivalency in fire power than the Japanese have at this stage of the game.

If I did not have sufficient forces here, where do you think they would be a month from now?

Do you own Kunming and Kweiyang? You don't own the road from Paoshan to Kunming, but I can't remember and couldn't find a screen shot of Kunming/Kweiyang area ...
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Do you own Kunming and Kweiyang? You don't own the road from Paoshan to Kunming, but I can't remember and couldn't find a screen shot of Kunming/Kweiyang area ...
OK, went back far enough and found you have both Kunming and Tsuyung, but you have allowed the CHI forces to interdict the road from Paoshan to Tsuyung. Basically, all of your forces in Paoshan are in grave danger ...

I would step back for a few days and consider this VERY carefully. Letting him through to CK is bad, losing your army is worse. It has been a long, long time since I have not taken CK so I'm rusty on this . Hopefully, one of the other lurkers here will step in ...

Ok, you're like 8/43?. Just took Chengtu, but CK is still a rock. Lvl 6 forts. He's got +20K AV there. The biggest issue is that they aren't 25exp anymore ... most of them are prolly near the CHI training limit of 45 exp and that's bad. Further, they will all be 100% prepped for CK (except those that just came from Chengtu). Have you made a DA against CK yet? I can't remember ...
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

I don't know...in my understanding keeping Burma road locked and barred is a major strategic achievement and advantage.

Interesting why not.
15.8 BURMA ROAD
For the Allies, if a rail/road/trail path free of Japanese units between Tsuyung and Ledo or
between Tsuyung and Rangoon can be traced, than each day, 500 supply points per turn are
added to Tsuyung.

The exact city requirements have been updated, but the 500/day remains correct. I'm not willing to sacrifice a significant portion of my army to delay only 500/supply day. The allies get another significant upgrade to their LCU's now, you cannot win a land war any more, only delay. The allies now have a 20M supply pool to work with. 500/day is nothing ...
Pax
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

OK, went back far enough and found you have both Kunming and Tsuyung, but you have allowed the CHI forces to interdict the road from Paoshan to Tsuyung. Basically, all of your forces in Paoshan are in grave danger ...

I would step back for a few days and consider this VERY carefully. Letting him through to CK is bad, losing your army is worse. It has been a long, long time since I have not taken CK so I'm rusty on this . Hopefully, one of the other lurkers here will step in ...

Ok, you're like 8/43?. Just took Chengtu, but CK is still a rock. Lvl 6 forts. He's got +20K AV there. The biggest issue is that they aren't 25exp anymore ... most of them are prolly near the CHI training limit of 45 exp and that's bad. Further, they will all be 100% prepped for CK (except those that just came from Chengtu). Have you made a DA against CK yet? I can't remember ...
There are no Allied units on the road from Paoshan to Tsuyung.

There is no way I can take CK so I am just going to bottle it up. It has been so long since the last DA there I can't remember but I think he has 5K+ there.
El Lobo (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)
Rio Bravo's AAR - "The War College"
tm.asp?m=3851786

Gamey is not a game style. It is someone's definition.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Sorry, miss read the image ... there are CHI units on the road outside of Tsuyung ...
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

but I think he has 5K+ there.
[/size]
More like 20K AV ... [;)]
Pax
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Interesting why not.
15.8 BURMA ROAD
For the Allies, if a rail/road/trail path free of Japanese units between Tsuyung and Ledo or
between Tsuyung and Rangoon can be traced, than each day, 500 supply points per turn are
added to Tsuyung.

The exact city requirements have been updated, but the 500/day remains correct. I'm not willing to sacrifice a significant portion of my army to delay only 500/supply day. The allies get another significant upgrade to their LCU's now, you cannot win a land war any more, only delay. The allies now have a 20M supply pool to work with. 500/day is nothing ...

But,of course, if the Allies get significant resupply to Rangoon, and the road is open, that shall start flowing through.

If, and when, El Lobo shall conquer Chunking, so then the resupply of China's army get a secondary importance, not existing any more a Chinese army.

Not correct?

I think it as a move to neutralize the China issue.

Moreover, Rio shows being much interested in salvaging China - as in RL IMO. Not a good occasion to pin up a relevant stack of his army on excellent defensive terrain?

BTW 500 supplies daily isn't that bad...ceirtanly not huge though. but if added with regular supply throughput...
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

I think it's less than 1600 AV, the number should comprise 1/4 of non-combatant, support troops?
1400-1600, does not matter.

I'm just sayin', the tanks are stayin'.
[:)]
tm.asp?m=3851786

el lobo

Post by el lobo »

[/size]
Ouch! ................................. and crap.[:)]
tm.asp?m=3851786

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

[/size]
Ouch! ................................. and crap.[:)]
Every CHI unit re-spawns there at 1/3 strength. So, the 900AV units come back at 300AV and the 300AV come back at 100AV. Then they will add devices depending upon supply. However, they will gain exp and prep based upon time. With a Command HQ present, these will happen at a steady pace. Full prep in 50 -60 days. Exp will top out in about 100 - 120 days unless devices are added, they are added at the national start exp.

So, the exact AV at CK is tough to know without looking at the entire map and having an idea of what was killed and now respawnsd. 5K would be a very low estimate, 20K towards the top. Truth is likely in the middle, but that's a very big middle. That's why going after CK is about going hard and early. You don't want to kill any CHI units until AFTER CK is owned, why fight units twice? Against the AI in Ironman, same tactic, just tougher. CK is lvl9 forts and has a lot more units in it, along with indigenous supply (1000-2000/day depending which 'flavor' of Ironman). Still the goal is to have taken CK before end of '42 ... earlier is MUCH better. just stuff for your next game.
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Interesting why not.
15.8 BURMA ROAD
added to Tsuyung.

But,of course, if the Allies get significant resupply to Rangoon, and the road is open, that shall start flowing through.

If, and when, El Lobo shall conquer Chunking, so then the resupply of China's army get a secondary importance, not existing any more a Chinese army.

Not correct?

I think it as a move to neutralize the China issue.

Moreover, Rio shows being much interested in salvaging China - as in RL IMO. Not a good occasion to pin up a relevant stack of his army on excellent defensive terrain?

BTW 500 supplies daily isn't that bad...ceirtanly not huge though. but if added with regular supply throughput...
Now you see my point. Once Rangoon falls, allies can drop 1M supply there, literally. On the flip side, with allied troops on the roads supplying Paoshan, supply becomes difficult. Retreat is slow, allied units will always be in contact. Once Paoshan falls, all units in Paoshan retreat back one hex, but before they can re-organize to move, the allies are already there. Another series of attack, and eventual loss. Rinse/Repeat. after 3 maybe 4 hexes, the army is gone. In mountains, ARM units are slower than INF ... they always get caught. This takes 2 months plus/minus.

CK - this is late '43 and the DA's haven't started against CK. I've never attempted CK so late. The AV there is going to be huge. I don't even know if it can be done ...
Pax
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

BURMA Aug 7, 1943 Turn 609

Holding the hex south of Toungoo and Rangoon until all of the support units can move-out. Going to Chang Mai and Moulmein and roads in between.

Attachments
burma8743.jpg
burma8743.jpg (402.78 KiB) Viewed 38 times
tm.asp?m=3851786

adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

High El Lobo, how's weather now in Thailand?

ORIGINAL: Pax
Once Paoshan falls, all units in Paoshan retreat back one hex, but before they can re-organize to move, the allies are already there. Another series of attack, and eventual loss. Rinse/Repeat. after 3 maybe 4 hexes, the army is gone. In mountains, ARM units are slower than INF ... they always get caught. This takes 2 months plus/minus.

Proposed antidote/cure: scaled defense, in depth?
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

My point was only I do not commit ARM forces to Paoshan. It is a death trap for them as they are slower in mountains than INF.

Of course, defense in depth, outside of bases. And you must protect your flanks, you can't just stack the road like you can against the AI. Even then you have to watch for para drops that can break your SLOC ...

The most dangerous is that the allies get a one turn advantage in movement ... always remember that... you are one turn behind them. This has killed more units than any other thing in the game .... and is the only game mechanic I would change.
Pax
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

PAOSHAN Aug 8, 1943 Turn 610

I am rethinking this myself.

You both have advocated defense in depth so that does not seem to be an issue, just the ARM.

It seems to me that defensively, that besides it's raw AV, ARM is no more beneficial that any other unit. Enemy DAs do not create an automatic counter-DA so I am strictly on the defensive here.

I have 950 AV that just arrived at Tsuyung on the way to Paoshan. When they arrive at Paoshan I will switch them out with the ARM. I have plenty of places that I can use the ARM offensively.

I have units moving into my flank hexes. They should be there any week now.

Attachments
poashan8843.jpg
poashan8843.jpg (357.29 KiB) Viewed 38 times
tm.asp?m=3851786

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Others can chime in for PBEM tactics better than I can, but I use ARM as gap pluggers and counter-offensive units. I also watch the terrain they are in carefully, I only use them where they have an exit lane where they are faster than INF. And I only commit them where I own the skies, ARM units are really vulnerable to air attack and they are like magnets for it.

I don't like defending in bases as the supply there is vulnerable to attack. non-base hexes seem easier to defend. I prefer to defend in front of bases, making the allied units stretch their supply lines. Just me, hopefully some others will chime in with other thoughts.

Pax
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

All of this is wonderful, but, El Lobo, what about your (tactical) nuclearization of southern Marianas?

any news?
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

PACIFIC Aug 9, 1943 Turn 611

Here is a map. The Allies are very quiet in the area and I am running around like the proverbial chicken.

Rio is not going to attack Japan Proper (telephone intel) which is kind of a shame. I think that it would be a spectacular way to end the game. It is also kind of irritating. He says he has the forces to do it, so why not? He says that he is not sure of what I have there. I think he just wants to play cat and mouse for awhile. So the question is, where is he going next?

There is no way I can stop his ground assaults. I don't have the manpower and even if I did, would they be in the right place at the right time? With so many places, the odds are overwhelming against that they would be. So it is air and sea.

I think he is loading about five more IDs at Pearl, so will he go directly and attack someplace like Pagan or will he reload some of the units in the Marianas. My guess is that he may do both. He will also have five more Carriers this time around, another 400+ planes.

He will be bringing the heavy Bombers so my time in the air will be limited as to how long the airfields hold-up.

Attachments
pacific8943.jpg
pacific8943.jpg (293.51 KiB) Viewed 38 times
tm.asp?m=3851786

Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Tanks on the defensive can be used in many, many different ways. To give you an example, they can move one hex on a major road in one day. If they move into a hex of infantry advancing down a major road, they can prevent that unit from moving for the day and reset its progress to zero miles. The armor can then move out that the next and avoid attack if it is not bombed, delaying the advance for several days if the enemy does not have armor. This can be used to set up Cap traps once the opponent grows wise to this strategy and tries to bomb the armor unit into combat mode to prevent its retreat. They also function well to flank and gain control of important hexsides in open terrain and along roads.

Return to “After Action Reports”