Prep Points

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MrDave

Prep Points

Post by MrDave »

I don't understand the purpose of the "prep points", at least early in the timeline of the game. I play WiTW and understand how prep points help with the Amphib TF. I understand the mechanics of setting the target. I'm just not clear on how it helps in 1942 for instance.
I hope this is clearer than mud. Thanks.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
btd64

RE: Prep Points

Post by btd64 »

MrDave, Are you referring to Political points or Prep time for ground units? Political points(pp's) are used to Buy out restricted ground units and Air units. Or to just change HQ's for organizational reasons. Prep time on ground units helps to reduce losses during an amphibious attack or improve defense of a base or location. If you can provide info on the one your questioning, We can help better.[;)]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Thanks General,
The points I am referring to are indeed the "prep points" when a target is set. What I'm not straight on is the benefit of setting a target when I'm not sure of what target will be, especially early in '42.
Thanks.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
btd64

Post by btd64 »

I just set them to there own home base if I don't know where they will attack....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

It takes a while to get in the habit, but at the start of the game you should think out a broad plan for how you expect to use your forces in the next 12 months. What will be your key bases you plan to defend at all costs, for example. Where will your supply distribution stockpiles be. Which avenue of attack will you use when you are on the offensive?.

Doing this planning will isolate the areas you need to prep troops for and you can then select which specific islands or bases you intend to put troops on.
Next step is to review the troops/planes you will have available during that time frame and allocate those that are already unrestricted.

After that, decide what more you need to secure your objectives and pick the restricted units you need to buy out. This is the most difficult task because PP are scarce, units are expensive and you need to pay for both land and air units. But buy them ASAP before they fill out - they are cheaper that way.

It may seem a lot of work to do such a plan but you can re-use it for future games and just tweak it here and there.

In the War Room you may find Kull's Allied and Japanese spreadsheets for setting up the first few turns very helpful.

EDIT: PS - review the plan after six months and adjust/extend the plan for the next phase of the war.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

1. LCUs prepped for a base fight a bit better when inside that base. Good thing to know for more static theatres like China. Requires long term planning
2. LCUs with 100 prep start increasing their experience if it is lower than predetermined thresholds (roughly 50-55). Very important for the Allies in the early war with lots of inexperienced LCUs.
3. LCUs with not full prep suffer additional losses in amphib landings. Very important for Japan if it wants to continue expanding after the amphib bonus runs out in April 42.

Edit: corrected the amphib bonus date
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

There's another reason behind the Prep Points feature, I think, even more important. Generic preparation for a landing should be enough, so why the need to get prepped and trained 100 in advance for Tarawa atoll rather than Wake atoll, for example?

I think this is the only way the designers and developers found to get knowledge of JApan's plans to be propagated through Sigint receptions.
Uncivil Engineer

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

1. LCUs prepped for a base fight a bit better when inside that base. Good thing to know for more static theatres like China. Requires long term planning
2. LCUs with 100 prep start increasing their experience if it is lower than predetermined thresholds (roughly 50-55). Very important for the Allies in the early war with lots of inexperienced LCUs.
3. LCUs with not full prep suffer additional losses in amphib landings. Very important for Japan if it wants to continue expanding after the amphib bonus runs out in July 42.

I thought the Japanese amphib bonus ran out in April '42 (120 days into the war)? See 6.3.3.3.2 Amphibious Unloading
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer
I thought the Japanese amphib bonus ran out in April '42 (120 days into the war)? See 6.3.3.3.2 Amphibious Unloading
Yep, right you are thanks for correction.
I guess I mixed it with the date many AK conversions become available
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

There's another reason behind the Prep Points feature, I think, even more important. Generic preparation for a landing should be enough, so why the need to get prepped and trained 100 in advance for Tarawa atoll rather than Wake atoll, for example?

I think this is the only way the designers and developers found to get knowledge of JApan's plans to be propagated through Sigint receptions.
I think it is because an amphib landing is not just the process of getting past obstacles and to the beach. Once on the beach the troops need to know where the enemy fortifications and terrain obstacles are, where their objectives are in relation to where they actually landed, what units will be nearby (for cooperation and to prevent friendly fire incidents), where the ammo dumps and food/water supplies will be, etc., etc.

So they have to study a lot of detail and then practice in similar terrain before they can be considered fully prepped. Then the Army/Marine administration will transfer out some key troops and the replacements need to be prepped ... [8|]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I think it is because an amphib landing is not just the process of getting past obstacles and to the beach. Once on the beach the troops need to know where the enemy fortifications and terrain obstacles are, where their objectives are in relation to where they actually landed, what units will be nearby (for cooperation and to prevent friendly fire incidents), where the ammo dumps and food/water supplies will be, etc., etc.

So they have to study a lot of detail and then practice in similar terrain before they can be considered fully prepped. Then the Army/Marine administration will transfer out some key troops and the replacements need to be prepped ... [8|]

+1

Even on Atols and reefs you can land on the wrong beach opposite your objective. Get hung up on a reef. Your "left-tenent" gets killed - do the men carry on (disruption)?

While the game mechanism is a mechanism (with real consequences), I think it was designed to "represent" a lot more than SigInt intentions. Its an abstract of multiple things.

Just as Supplies represent more than toilet paper / ammo / bread.

I concur with the learning curve.

As you learn and experience the game you learn to focus both on the short term and (mid or) long term. Prepping Units / Divisions and staging them represents the ability to shift between the tactical and strategic.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Units sharing the same prepared target as an in range Corps/Army HQ and an in range Command HQ can gain significant combat bonuses from the HQs.
Hans

jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

On prep points, is there a rough time for how long it takes a unit to prep for a target? For example; How long does it take a division to be 100% or about how many prep points are gained per week? I am assuming the unit is at rest, in supply and full support.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: jamesjohns

On prep points, is there a rough time for how long it takes a unit to prep for a target? For example; How long does it take a division to be 100% or about how many prep points are gained per week? I am assuming the unit is at rest, in supply and full support.

It depends on where they are starting from...

If from 0, about 60-75 days (some days they will gain 2 points, but will always gain at least 1 point per day). If from 25, about 50-60 days. If from 33, then about 45-50some days.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

That's stuff for staff members and from rank of colonel up only. Troop training is not dedicated to one specific location only of course. And it must not be.

No one under Colonel (full) rank is given any information about the final objective not in the slightest. Day before action officers are briefed. and then the troops.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

And nothing prevents really from shifting a target from another similar even at the 89th minute, if not the general plan of action in the hand of higher brass.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

LOL, I really need a staff to handle all these details. As far as the PPs go, I was just setting them as the General suggested. Apparently the PPs play a pretty big function.

I will have to check out Krulls spreadsheets. I really do appreciate all your insight. I have played the game years ago. But the AE has expanded the playability so much, it's like starting from scratch. The I just figured out the right command switches to get it to play on my laptop.

Am I the only guy who has started the game over and over after you have learned something new?

Thanks again gentlemen.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: MrDave

LOL, I really need a staff to handle all these details. As far as the PPs go, I was just setting them as the General suggested. Apparently the PPs play a pretty big function.

I will have to check out Krulls spreadsheets. I really do appreciate all your insight. I have played the game years ago. But the AE has expanded the playability so much, it's like starting from scratch. The I just figured out the right command switches to get it to play on my laptop.

Am I the only guy who has started the game over and over after you have learned something new?

Thanks again gentlemen.
We all had multiple restarts as we set out on the learning curve. After four or five you might decide you have not made any critical mistakes and can continue playing. [:D]

BTW, look for Kull, not Krull. I made the same mistake - thanks to a character in a Conan the Barbarian movie, I think.
bush

Post by bush »

I think you are thinking of Crom (Krom), the god his dad talked about in a beginning scene and later when the dogs chase Conan into a cave and he finds his sword.

Krull was an early 80's sci-fi movie. Actually not too bad.
Pentakomo

Post by Pentakomo »

A few days before full prepare of command HQ
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 99596 troops, 1173 guns, 1430 vehicles, Assault Value = 3738
Defending force 41860 troops, 981 guns, 1047 vehicles, Assault Value = 682
Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3
Japanese adjusted assault: 4008
Allied adjusted defense: 2725

And when command HQ reach 100% preparation
Japanese Deliberate attack