The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

HansBolter

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: T Rav

I wasn't going to roll-in on this one, but... HansBolter, how is it that you picked Linda, knew the Warren Zevon connection AND have the St Petersburg thing going? Well done! BTW, Warren Zevon is the only musician I've seen in person three times... Amazing to see in person.

Never got to see him live.

As long as we're adding links here is the one to the documentary on the making of his final album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaOHkeQNMk
Hans

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

The Andrea Doria, and the Edmund Fitzgerald. Those two shouldn't be linked in my brain, but I don't tell the synapses what to do.
When the Costa Concordia hit rocks and capsized, Capt. Schettino vigorously denied doing anything foolish to cause the accident. That instantly reminded me of the Andrea Doria collision which had the Italian Captain and his cruise line vigorously denying they did anything wrong and blaming the Swedish vessel for the collision. An international commission of inquiry put the blame squarely on the Italian captain for altering course to port rather than the internationally accepted alteration to starboard when meeting another vessel on a reciprocal course.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I'd love to see the reaction if the whole Chinese Army started showing movement dots [8D]

They dont have to go anywhere, just pretend to.

Do this a couple of times, and then let 1 or 2 advance.

(Plus I'd like to see the Chinese pressure towards Peking and Mongolia to raise the Red Steamroller threat)
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I'd love to see the reaction if the whole Chinese Army started showing movement dots [8D]

(Plus I'd like to see the Chinese pressure towards Peking and Mongolia to raise the Red Steamroller threat)

Don't know if it matters for CR, but setting a destination would clear their field fortification levels.

Also, no guarantee that John would see the dots.
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

I have seen Confederates use both CSS Virginia& Merrimac. Generally at the time or soon after; Confederate naval officers I have read used Virginia, the Confederate politicians and army officers used Merrimac [ex BrGen Colston CSA "Watching the Merrimac" or Cmmdr Brooke CSN " The plan and construction of the Merrimac" or John L Porter, CSN Naval "constructor"]. It might be due to the second CSS Virginia, which was arguably the most powerful Confederate ironclad.
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Don't know if it matters for CR, but setting a destination would clear their field fortification levels.

Are you sure that just setting a destination clears the forts? I thought the unit had to leave the hex to lose its forts?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

The difference between those 3 shipwreckes is on ended in a Gramy award winning song.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Are you sure that just setting a destination clears the forts? I thought the unit had to leave the hex to lose its forts?
Thats the problem with trying to con someone, they have to be awake to the threat and be looking hard. You dont have to set a target for all units in the hex, even an AT Gun LCU looks like an Army so you can leave your major units in forts.

I'd be trying to have JIII jumping at everything, threaten everything, make him make a mistake, taking on KB should be high on the list of targets.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Positive.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

8/16/44

KB, DS & the DEI: Things are in place for Mini DS to proceed to rendezvous with DS. Patrols reported one division of KB at Soerabaja and nothing in between there and Mini DS. 99.2% sure the route is clear of enemy carriers.

Attachments
081644K..DSDEI.jpg
081644K..DSDEI.jpg (782.99 KiB) Viewed 87 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

That is an awfully deep red unit south of Darwin!

A full division at Soerabaja?
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I did battle with the unit south of Darwin a few weeks ago. It isn't big, but the Aussie brigade was in the open and battered by enemy bombers, so it pulled back to Katherine.

I'm not sure what you're asking about Soerabaja: carrier division or infantry division?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I did battle with the unit south of Darwin a few weeks ago. It isn't big, but the Aussie brigade was in the open and battered by enemy bombers, so it pulled back to Katherine.

I'm not sure what you're asking about Soerabaja: carrier division or infantry division?

I am sorry, I see that I misread your your graphic...you were mentioning a carrier division and not an infantry division.

Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Headed for CR's wheelhouse now.....

"Iron Dawn...The Monitor, The Merrimack and the Civil War Sea Battle that Changed History" by Richard Snow

I'm now about 2/3 in and it is March 8, 1862 in Hampton Roads. This is my first book on these two ships exclusively. I would recommended it as its been a good balance of supposed first hand accounts of those involved in development of both sides. Interesting to hear some guns are by shell weight (32-pounder) or gun barrel (8 inch).

Any other good books on just the naval side of Civil War??

I used "Naval Battles of the Civil War" by Chester G. Hearn extensively when doing my 150th anniversary thread. Well-illustrated, lots of detail, and not at all boring to read.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

8/17/44

DEI: KB seems to be making for the South China Sea. Death Star has begun refueling operations at Boela and Sorong while awaiting Mini DS (at Merauke) to come up.

Attachments
0817KBDSDEI.jpg
0817KBDSDEI.jpg (799.67 KiB) Viewed 92 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Formosa is definitely your focus, but I don't think John plans to make a fight of it any more. When you got bases in China it became a net liability to him to try and keep Formosa out of your hands.
I think he is continuing to harvest fuel/oil and troops from the DEI and take them along the Vietnam coast to be dropped at Pakhoi. IMO, his fleet is covering his operation, not trying to oppose yours.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

You might be right.

Death Star might make it back to the South China Sea area before John's merchants could make it to Pakhoi....or he might win that race. But I don't think I'm opposed to Japanese units in China, because soon the Allies will be in position to initiate dedicated bombing missions against those troops. I think I'd rather have John focusing on China, at this point, than on certain other landmasses that I have my eye on.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

8/17/44

Peep Show: Major Allied 4EB strike scheduled for Chaochow tomorrow. If successful it should batter John's main stack, increasing whatever pressure he might be feeling about China.

But I think China has effectively been bypassed now, as far as my plans are concerned. I'm looking at moving further north, to take bombing bases, and further south (at some point) to attend to high-value bases like Singapore.

China is a campaign that will be fought, mainly by what I currently have on the ground there, bolstered by Allied air power. I don't think John has the ability (the supply and aviation support) that would allow him to seriously fight an air war in China.

Attachments
081744P..wSEAC.jpg
081744P..wSEAC.jpg (617.97 KiB) Viewed 92 times
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Just in time for Summer Solstice.....

Attachments
CR.jpg
CR.jpg (151.97 KiB) Viewed 92 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Amazon says it will be a 10 volume set....

Attachments
www.jpg
www.jpg (149.82 KiB) Viewed 92 times

Return to “After Action Reports”