Why do we keep mentioning ASL?

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

Hailstone

Why do we keep mentioning ASL?

Post by Hailstone »

Look, I've played SL about a couple of dozen times in my day so naturally I continued to purchase the expansions
Those expansions with their new rules led to ASL. Now there is a 3-Ring binder full of rules that became a complete turnoff
for me. It was impossible to play a freaking turn without consulting the BOOK. Additionally, try getting somebody who has never
played SL to ASL was lunacy. I showed my old ASL BOOK to people today and they think that confirms what a nutjob I am. What I'm
trying to say is that ASL is over rated! TotH is SL, not ASL for good reason, because it's funner.
fuselex

RE: Why do we keep mentioning ASL?

Post by fuselex »

ToTH , click a button , guestimate the results and shoot .
Take into account some factors which most know ,
stone buildings , wood , or open ground .
Don`t really need to know the finer details but they are there if you wish to look.
Click , Shoot . move and have fun is what I imagine ToTH is.
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

TotH is inspired by ASL ;)
fuselex

Post by fuselex »

true :)
and you are by far the best judge:)
But you have spent many comments distancing Toth away from ASL.
Inspired , yes ,
But different :)
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

My thing is that of expectations. SL was complicated enough for its day but very playable just like TotH. We keep focusing on ASL with all the implied complexities
which only a team of programmers can produce. But, since there is not such a team involved then disappointment ensues. Just look at the wish list. As a former SL enthusiast
TotH hits the mark. TotH inspired by ASL sets the mark really high and for complexities that will only serve to slow down play and or having newbies saying, "what the hell
just happened" for lack of experience with the system. So, for me, to focus on SL, TotH is there with little or no further refinement necessary. I enjoy it as SL.
Great product Peter![8|]
UP844

Post by UP844 »

In my opinion, the #1 issue (which has nothing to do with SL/ASL) is AI's infantry/MGs not firing when their FPs are halved(*). I think I have already bored all of you (and Peter in particular) to death with my ramblings, so I won't repeat them another time. I only suggest you look at the various end-of-game screens I posted (all of them have been played at Very Hard level) and take note of the loss ratios: they all look like the results of a battle between a bunch of stoned hippies and the Grossdeutschland [:(].

(*) please notice that AI AFVs, conversely, fight much better than AI infantry (they fire after moving with both their MA and MGs).

When compared with the above issue, the game slowness in large scenarios takes a very distant second place: I'd like to make a Goodwood campaign game, but I can also live without it and play smaller scenarios.

Back to the SL/ASL issue: I played SL since 1977 and then ASL up to the mid-90s: I greatly prefer the latter because of the many random events that can occur (IIFT, ROF, CR, units improving/worsening under fire, leader generation, etc.). As for the monstrous ASL rule books, I remember frantically searching four rulebooks (SL, COI, COD and GI) looking for some obscure and seldom used rule [:D].
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Clicked on the wrong button [:(]

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

Miniatures --> SL --> ASL --> TOTH --> ?
No offense but I don't care...
The most important is cooking fun scenarios like...

Attachments
hidden1.jpg
hidden1.jpg (11.86 KiB) Viewed 67 times
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Rico, I have the utmost respect for your attempts to cook interesting scenarios, but the sad truth is you are forced to make a series of compromises to give the AI a minuscule chance to hurt the human player (e.g. very high numbers of MGs, not to mention ** and *** leaders so common it looks every infantry company is led by a field marshal).

Everybody has his own idea of fun: my one does not contemplate an endless slaughter of helpless enemies.

As regards to ASL, this is exactly the reason that led me to purchase ToTH, otherwise I would have re-installed another game I will not mention.

My two (Euro)cents [;)].

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

Nous sommes tous orphelins de Steel panthers qui est devenu injouable avec les nouvelles résolutions.
Je te conseille de te mettre aux échecs, pas de sang et une IA imbattable au plus haut niveau, tu peux jouer 116 ans sans en gagner une!
Le truc chiant quoi!
------------------------------------------------------------
We are all orphans of Steel Panthers who became unplayable with the new resolutions.
I advise you to chess, no blood and an unbeatable AI at the highest level, you can play 116 years without winning one!
The trick what!
dox44

Post by dox44 »

wait wait wait...mentioning other games (steel panthers) is verboten. there is a semi-active
forum for that "other" game. which i will purchase just to see how it stacks up against TotH.

i'm going to let it go this one time but remember please this is a Tigers on the Hunt forum...
damn it.

respect ASL and Peter enough to keep your comments on topic.

that is all...peace and love

casebier
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Since it is verboten, I deleted the direct reference to that Game That Should Not Be Mentioned [:D]

Siegfried Sassoon

kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

How does TotH compare to Tiller's Squad Battles? I don't remember so many technical complaints about SBs. Maybe he decided not to compare those titles directly with ASL. Therefore, he avoided setting players up for disappointment. Replicating that rule book within a PC game is near impossible - for one developer anyway. In so many instances, nothing today compares with our fond memories of the past. An ice creme cone today never compares to the one you had on your first date. To many, TotH is the cone w/o the ice creme. In good marketing the goal is to under promise and over deliver. Not the opposite.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
rico21

Post by rico21 »

my bad.

lost my etiquette for a moment.

i'm fine now.

[:D]

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”